Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Mi.ke Dean’s gestures to Albion fans yesterday

He clearly loves his role as pantomime villain. In the pre match warm up he was doing some gentle running up the touch line with his two assistants. The Albion faithful were in full invective, and “Mi.ke Dean is a wanker, wanker” was being sung from the away end at volume.

Dean responded bizarrely by raising both arms to acknowledge the fans.

When he awarded a corner to Swansea in the first half which seemed as if should have been a goal kick, the chant started again.

This time he grabbed his crotch and smiled at us. Provocative and unprofessional. It wasn’t far removed from CKR’s behaviour which was deemed homophobic.

It’s as if he gets off on being loathed. If a player had done that no doubt the FA would have got involved but Dean gets away with it.

9c4f09e8215aac84cfc2b06f50d8f2db.jpg

To be fair to him most decisions were correct. He had the whole ground united towards the end when he yellow carded a Swansea player for dissent.

In injury time, clearly worried that the match hadn’t been controversial enough, Dean overruled his linesman who had given the Albion a goal kick. He presumably thought that if Swansea scored from it and equalised then his decision might get some discussion time on MOTD.

Brilliant need more characters in the game:thumbsup:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Good for him to overrule the linesman in injury time to award a corner, hoping that his ‘controversial’ reputation would be enhanced had Swansea score?

Okey-dokey.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I don't think he was intentionally inciting the crowd by grabbing his crotch. Looking at his face in that picture, I think he was genuinely getting off on all the attention.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Mike Dean is a ref who'll probably end up as a pundit referee on some obscure sports radio show, giving his two penth views.
His gesture yesterday whether meant or not, will be seen by his peers and and the wider footy world as another odd decision by him.
Just another oddball guy that floats on the celebretism of his ego.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Absolute idiot of the highest order. He seemed to enjoy the stick we gave him yesterday.

Was he supposed to go crying home to Mummy then ?

Good for him. He wasn't bothered.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Somehow this tackle from behind off the ground and into Murray’s ankle was only deemed a yellow by Dean

f4ca5c6596866e1760cf582f03bf715b.jpg

Listening to national radio, they wondered why that wasn’t a red for endangering an opponent.

That sort of assault was outlawed 20 years ago, eventually condemning Wimbledon to the lower leagues and allowing gifted players to thrive.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
But it isn't a myth though, is it? There was a panel of Championship refs that, by and large, did most of the Championship games.

A quick check shows we had Keith Stroud x 4, Jeremy Simpson x 2, Geoff Eltringham x 3, Jeremy Simpson x 2, Darren Bond x 3, Andy Madley x 3, Tony Harrington, Paul Tierney, Oliver Langford x 4, Tim Robinson x 2, Hoops x 4 and a fair few others. Of these, Tierney has had 3 PL games this season and Hoops has had none. We had a few PL refs but rarely the top ones.

Which website did you get the stats from? When I checked a few months ago I found wildly different numbers.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
You can see why he is a PL ref at times as most of the time, he gets things right and will try and play advantage. But then goes head mental at least once a game - all, seemingly, in order to be the centre of attention. I am concerned that Michael Oliver seems to be heading that way as well. Such a shame as by and large, the refs this year have been a massive step up in quality from the Championship. But this CJTC needs relegating and soon because his ego rushes cost teams millions of pounds.

Of course he is impartial, I would hope that every Premier League and Football League refereee is. There may be the odd bad apple, but that is exceedingly rare. Being a referee at any level is about the most difficult job of all, they will never please all the fans with the decisions that they need tio make.

Let's get a little perspective here, the one reason that so many Albion fans despise The Complete And Utter Shyster, is down to one controversial decision he made in a game at Middlebrough the season before last that possiblt coast us the chance of promotion.. Have you never made a poor decision? It's gone, it's past, we are in the Premier League now, so let's all move on.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Of course he is impartial, I would hope that every Premier League and Football League refereee is. There may be the odd bad apple, but that is exceedingly rare. Being a referee at any level is about the most difficult job of all, they will never please all the fans with the decisions that they need tio make.

Let's get a little perspective here, the one reason that so many Albion fans despise The Complete And Utter Shyster, is down to one controversial decision he made in a game at Middlebrough the season before last that possiblt coast us the chance of promotion.. Have you never made a poor decision? It's gone, it's past, we are in the Premier League now, so let's all move on.

Absolutely never. That decision at Boro was not just a bad decision, it was an inexplicable one for all the reasons we know. And yesterday seeing him run away with arms aloft and high five his lino before the game was bad enough but to wave to the crowd DURING a game, whilst mock yawning at the abuse and then grabbing his crotch is not only deeply unprofessional but shows he isn't actually concentrating on the match. He didn't have a bad game yesterday, he isn't biased and he's not a cheat (although the challenge on Murray was 100 times worse than the Stephens one at Boro was but because it wasn't a glory game where the attention could be on him he didn't give a red) but I can't ever bring myself to forgive him. Should he want to disallow a perfectly good goal in the last minute for Palace, however, that condemns them to relegation later in the season then I'm willing to reconsider!!

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Which website did you get the stats from? When I checked a few months ago I found wildly different numbers.
Our games

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016–17_Brighton_&_Hove_Albion_F.C._season

PL Appointments this season

https://www.premierleague.com/referees/index

At least 2/3 of our games last season were non PL referees and those PL refs we did have were the 'lower level' ones like Hoops, Tierney, East etc. 75% of PL refs may have been given Championship games but that doesn't equate to 75% of refs in the Championship being PL refs. If you got the same refs in the Championship then they wouldn't be PL refs, would they?

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011

What are you on about? Where did I say he wasn't impartial? He is well known as a ref frequently involved in highly controversial decisions and deals with them by gurning, dancing and God knows what else. Bournemouth v City the latest high profile example.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...eem-sterling-mike-dean-red-card-a3620876.html

When he gets it right, he is a good ref. But when he gets it wrong, he gets it spectacularly wrong.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Our games

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016–17_Brighton_&_Hove_Albion_F.C._season

PL Appointments this season

https://www.premierleague.com/referees/index

At least 2/3 of our games last season were non PL referees and those PL refs we did have were the 'lower level' ones like Hoops, Tierney, East etc. 75% of PL refs may have been given Championship games but that doesn't equate to 75% of refs in the Championship being PL refs. If you got the same refs in the Championship then they wouldn't be PL refs, would they?

Ta, shall revisit my work from a couple of months ago this afternoon

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
When I was walking to the ground about 15 minutes before kickoff, all you could hear, drifting loud and clear across the shopping centre car parks, was 'Mike Dean, is a wanker, is a wanker'.

Which was very amusing :)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here