Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton out- Discuss

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
People should be offering eternal gratitude to Hughton not lambasting him. It's always the same, a year of survival in a new league and the following year they think they own it.

Today we played one of the best sides in Europe. Sure, a more open approach may have afforded another goal- and another three for them.

It's what it is. We are 13th in one of the top three leagues in the world. Yet 100 armchair managers who know nothing of the training field think we should be in the European elite.

This was Tottenham Hotspur with a striker worth more than our team. Not Walsall. That's who we lost 1-0 at home to this time ten years ago.

In case some have forgotten.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
We will never know but that wasn’t your original point.
Bernardo also started the season v Watford ahead of a fit Bong . He didn’t exactly make the most of this opportunity.

Apart from the fact that he had to deputise for the injured Bruno on his wrong side. Don't recall him making any major errors at Watford yet he has been dropped. As it turned out we weren't the only team to underestimate Watford. By that I mean most fans were probably hoping to get a point. Bong makes errors and keeps he shirt. Penalty against Soton, free kick that led to penalty today but I'm guessing he'll still be playing next week.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Apart from the fact that he had to deputise for the injured Bruno on his wrong side. Don't recall him making any major errors at Watford yet he has been dropped. As it turned out we weren't the only team to underestimate Watford. By that I mean most fans were probably hoping to get a point. Bong makes errors and keeps he shirt. Penalty against Soton, free kick that led to penalty today but I'm guessing he'll still be playing next week.

Dunno but that wasn’t your original point either. Which was Bernardo hasn’t been given a chance except when he was and no new signings have started unless players have been injured except when they have. So glad we’ve cleared that up.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
You’ve argued the minutiae of the written posts without providing a single coherent argument for binning off a manager who’s taken us from the Championship relegation danger zone to 13th in the Premier League whilst garnering massive respect within the entire football community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We even moved up a place from 14th today.
Last season, we didn't spend any time in the relegation zone (apart from the first couple of weeks when nobody takes the table seriously)

Hughton knows we need to improve, but we've had key injuries to Groß and now to Stephens. Players who are the heartbeat of our team.

If we lose four or five games in a row, then we can start questioning Hughton, but yet.
Hold your fire.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I am a little bit worried. Hughton is conservative by inclination and we only seem to see our team open up once we are behind. We've just been accused of affording too much respect and I think that there might be something in this.

I'm not wanting to see Hughton out. He has his ways. We had to wait to see Izquierdo last season and will have to wait again to see Jahanbakhsh and Andone get regular run outs. He's very much the man for evolution over revolution and we can hardly argue with the results to date. It's in the nature of the supporter to fret though and I'm doing a little bit of that now.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Yet another poor performance with very debatable team selection. We set up not to concede rather than to try and find win. Get to g fed up with inept performances both home and away.

Poor, poor, poor attempt at :fishing:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I am a little bit worried. Hughton is conservative by inclination and we only seem to see our team open up once we are behind. We've just been accused of affording too much respect and I think that there might be something in this.

I'm not wanting to see Hughton out. He has his ways. We had to wait to see Izquierdo last season and will have to wait again to see Jahanbakhsh and Andone get regular run outs. He's very much the man for evolution over revolution and we can hardly argue with the results to date. It's in the nature of the supporter to fret though and I'm doing a little bit of that now.

Fretting? Really? Why?.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Hughton has us where we should be right now. He is not underperforming in the slightest.

Actually that is debatable. Our form over the last 15 league games is as follows:
Played 15
Won 2 (thank you Manchester United)
Drawn 5
Lost 8
Thats relegation form in anyone's language and suggests a degree of underperformance doesnt it?

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
If Bruno hadn't been injured, what was the likelihood of Montoya getting a game?

Very high. Bruno showed last season that while the skill and determination is still very much there, he is not up to 2 games in week and its debatable whether we should have been playing him every other week. Montoya was always going to get plenty of game time this season (short of being completely pants!)
As it is, to keep Bruno out of the team now he is fit again is testament to how good he is.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

Honest question then... Where do you think we should be in the table right now? Are we really so far behind realistic expectations?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Actually that is debatable. Our form over the last 15 league games is as follows:
Played 15
Won 2 (thank you Manchester United)
Drawn 5
Lost 8
Thats relegation form in anyone's language and suggests a degree of underperformance doesnt it?

Good points.

I know CH isn't going anytime soon but he isn't above reproach. There are some on here who revere him as if he is untouchable because of what we have achieved. No manager and no player is bigger than the club. At the moment we have only one win under our belt and that is likely to remain the case at least until the 5th Oct!

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Any calling for Hughton to be sacked is the biggest idiot imaginable and should be sectioned rather than debated with. So sod off OP.

I would love to see the shackles off a bit, there are times when we take the game to other teams where we look electric, and I am confident in our defenders to repell attacks. Of course the times when we see this are usually when we are losing and the other team has less incentive to score, and Spurs second goal showed perhaps that our defence are not good enough to cope with breakaways without the midfield's support.

So I'll trust CH vision of building from a solid foundation and it taking time. Huddersfield look like they have tried to improve from their high-pressing style and they've become a shambles.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
We have the 3rd lowest wage bill in the premier. And we had about the 6th highest in the championship.

Hughton has overachieved every season he has been here. He gets it wrong sometimes but more often than not gets it right.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Honest question then... Where do you think we should be in the table right now? Are we really so far behind realistic expectations?

Perfectly fair question. Realistically, based on the teams we have faced so far, perhaps just a couple of points better off as we might have hoped for a home win against Fulham.

It's not so much our position that worries me, as the fact that we know that we can take the match to opponents, as our recent fight backs have demonstrated. It's more that we wait until we are behind before we show our claws.

I am probably most worried that we have yet to keep a clean sheet. In fact, we've conceded two goals in every single match except Liverpool. Given that we face four of the big six in our opening seven fixtures I suppose that's to be expected but should we really be conceding two to Southampton and Fulham (at home no less)? If that continues it will make our life so much harder to generate the points needed for safety.

Last edited:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
As others have said, if we had "gone for it" from the start against Spurs they would have ripped us to bits. They were desperate to put in a good performance being under massive pressure and we pretty much dealt with it until the crazy penalty. Second half we DID take it to them much more and should have equalised. But the flip side of that is that you give them more space and so they were able to score that (very good) goal. Even then we had a go and could have nicked a point at the death. So, Murray's moment of madness aside, CH's tactics actually worked and had we gone in at half time 0-0 then who knows what might have happened.

I agree that the first half v Saints was abysmal but also, that was down to a combination of tactics and players just playing really badly. Hughton was fuming as they obviously weren't carrying out the plan that he'd given them and after a kick up the arse at half time we were excellent.

'Onest 'Arry is an idiot. Had he been in charge then we'd have been 4-0 down at half time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here