Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sussex police breach FOI act...

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
It's been ILLEGAL TO DO THIS for about ten years.

Hope that helps.

There's loads of things the police try to do with football fans that would probably not be legal in any other circumstance, telling you how to travel to a game, which pubs to go in etc etc but there you go....

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
It’s not hindsight when anyone with half a brain was saying this before the event.

The Old Firm games in Scotland sometimes have 7,000 away fans. 7,000! In a game that is simmering with sectarian hatred and hundreds of years of animosity and violence. The fans are separated by a line or two of stewards.

At Brighton v Palace, a pantomime footballing rivalry that started in the 70s because someone threw some coins on the floor, we are allowed less than a third of that amount of away fans and have to have whole sterile blocks of seats in between the fans.

Sussex police are an absolute joke, and it’s about time they got themselves Premier League Ready and worked out how to put on the 15th biggest derby in English football without completely ruining the spectacle.

Agree with this 100%. I served in the sussex police in the 80s and they didnt have a clue then either.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I could be wrong here but I thought the tweet said those items were recovered or found - nothing about which sets of fans? Although a huge proportion of franchise supporters behaved disgracefully that night.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Embarrassing. It defies belief that the police superintendent could issue a BS statement about knives and knuckledusters being recovered, without actually checking the facts. Regardless of the fact it was a match against that filth from up the road, and the abhorrent behaviour of a section of their socially-challenged GOONS that night, Simon Nelson dropped an almighty bollock with his erroneous claptrap in the aftermath. And in doing so, he's only served to drive a bigger wedge between public trust and the perception of the police at these types of games.

Shameful.

Good post.

Does anyone know why Sussex Police lied / exaggerated? What was the point of it?

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
Good post.

Does anyone know why Sussex Police lied / exaggerated? What was the point of it?

I’m guessing to justify the ridiculous restriction I’m away fans allocation.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I’m guessing to justify the ridiculous restriction I’m away fans allocation.

Or (more likely IMO) to deflect attention from their own mismanagement of the situation when kettling the Palace fans from West Street, around a grand tour of the city centre, before finally getting to the station too late to arrive in good time for kickoff. Which then added to the existing tensions, and contributed towards the complete GOONFEST at the turnstiles.

I'm not justifying the reaction of some of the Palace fans at that point. But there was a cause and a result that would not have occurred had it been policed better. The bullshit afterwards just added insult to injury.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Or (more likely IMO) to deflect attention from their own mismanagement of the situation when kettling the Palace fans from West Street, around a grand tour of the city centre, before finally getting to the station too late to arrive in good time for kickoff. Which then added to the existing tensions, and contributed towards the complete GOONFEST at the turnstiles.

I'm not justifying the reaction of some of the Palace fans at that point. But there was a cause and a result that would not have occurred had it been policed better. The bullshit afterwards just added insult to injury.

Sounds right. Disgraceful that the senior officer who lied couldn’t honour his oath (Integrity).

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
I could be wrong here but I thought the tweet said those items were recovered or found - nothing about which sets of fans? Although a huge proportion of franchise supporters behaved disgracefully that night.

It was stated the weapons were found in the away section, although rumours off discarded thermos flasks being found in the north stand weren’t confirmed.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
What should happen is that Sussex OB get a clip round the ear & told to do their job properly.
Palace should be given more tickets; the maximum allowed. Therefore we should then get our maximum allocation up at that hole.
How this game gets treated like Rangers v Celtic by the authorities is beyond me. I have never seen so many OB as I did at the cup game last year.

Before the game; I don't really have an issue with giving them West Street. The pubs are shIte & not used by home fans, at least I don't believe so.
After the game, KEEP THEM IN THE GROUND until the crowds have gone & then herd them on to the train back to shItville.

It's how they treat us!

Sussex Police must be a bit of a laughing stock among other constabularies after this.

ive still got the video of you singing the stevie coppell song up.at the station 😂

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
It’s not hindsight when anyone with half a brain was saying this before the event.

The Old Firm games in Scotland sometimes have 7,000 away fans. 7,000! In a game that is simmering with sectarian hatred and hundreds of years of animosity and violence. The fans are separated by a line or two of stewards.

At Brighton v Palace, a pantomime footballing rivalry that started in the 70s because someone threw some coins on the floor, we are allowed less than a third of that amount of away fans and have to have whole sterile blocks of seats in between the fans.

Sussex police are an absolute joke, and it’s about time they got themselves Premier League Ready and worked out how to put on the 15th biggest derby in English football without completely ruining the spectacle.

yep....and once the old bill have got it sussed perhaps the trains and boozers can sort their shit out as well...!!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here