Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is your favourite UK city after Brighton and London?

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
London wouldn't be anywhere near my top 5 places. It's dirty,crowded and totally foreign now.

Probably York.

SwedishSonna

Aug 9, 2005
Newcastle upon Tyne
Edinburgh has to be my fav just ahead of Manchester.

Newcastle has grown on me now that I'm fluent in the lingo having lived here for donkeys.

Honourable mention to Plymouth as I went to uni there. Not everyone's cup of tea but the view from the Hoe into the Sound is one of the best in the UK.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
What part of Sheff do you live in? I was there as a student in the late 90's and was a keen biker. I used to cycle up via Norfolk arms in Ringinglow and then over the tops. Quite liked the Fox house at Grindleford too and then onto Bakewell areas etc... Luckily i don't live too far away now so get back quite often. Happy memories! Ps Sheff was a brilliant night out too..

I live in Woodseats. Have always lived this side of the city, Nether Edge, Meersbrook, Hunters Bar etc. It's the nice bit (and nearest to the Peak).

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
Liverpool of course. More listed buildings than any city outside London. Beautiful water front. Albert Dock. New Liverpool 1 centre. Echo Arena. Kindest, most friendly and funniest locals. Much maligned by those who've either never been here or have not been for 20 years.

All we lack is the seagulls in the premiership so that I can go and see them at Anfield and Everton.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I'd say Exeter for me, lovely place to visit and just that bit quieter (and cleaner) than Brighton.

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
After Brighton and before London it would be Chichester and the only vote for Stoke probably as I was born there... ;)

Vote No2 for Stoke? Was there for four years at Uni and it's still got a place in my heart, some great matches watching on the Boothen End in the early 90's with 8k on it, bit more lively than the old South End at Bmth!

Others

Nottingham - lived there for two years -
Pompey/Southsea = great night out to be had on Albert Road
York again - lovely City
Leeds - great nighlife

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I don't like London.

I like Bath, Bristol and Cardiff.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Agree with [MENTION=12225]MacKenzie[/MENTION]

There's a lot more higher up the list than London.

Bath
Bristol
Sheffield
Leeds
Oxford
Cambridge
Manchester
Liverpool
Edinburgh
Glasgow

Don't get me wrong. I'm ok with London, but it's a life sucking aggressive and depressing place as much as it offers lots to do.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I love London and lived there for a good while
Norwich is nice
Bristol was also OK

and best town Cheltenham

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Leeds I do not get at all.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Bristol is nice as is Sheffield. London I can take or leave. I always seem to end up going out with women who like to go to London for night's out which is a pain as it's very expensive and I don't much care for the nightlife.

I saw Plymouth mentioned earlier. It's a surprisingly nice place.

Last edited:

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Sheffield will always hold fond memories for me, given the past 3 years i've had here have been incredible, but it's certainly not my top pick.

The main attraction for many would be the peak district, as Sheffield city center is (IMO) very poor for things to do, restaurants, shops etc. Hence the vast majority can always be seen in Meadowhall every weekend. However you can be out of Manchester and into the peaks in similar time, and as a city it has FAR more going on.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Another vote for Bristol.

I have been fortunate enough to have had several stays there on holidays and for work.

Lovely place

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I haven't been there in twenty years, but when I lived there it was full of beige buildings and self-entitled upper middle class tosspots. Maybe that has changed?

No Bath hasn't changed it's still full of beige buildings, like this. :facepalm:

image.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here