Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Reports on Brighton Womens defeat to Bristol City in the Womens Super League

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Not that I should need to justify that to the NSC Gestapo.

Point of order, the phrase NSC Gestapo should be exclusively used for THE MODS, as we have the matching uniform.

The phrase you are looking for is NSC Mavis Rileys.

That is all.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
It seems WSL teams need to develop their own fan bases rather than the clubs assuming that fans of the male first team will automatically follow them. How that they achieve that is the hard part. Imagine how a new professional men's team that were supposed to be from Brighton were playing matches in Crawley woukd struggle to get support. That's the problem the women's team face plus some outdated attitudes towards the women's game.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
In order to be fullly professional for the women it’s got to be a reasonable wage. That said one of our players who is a police officer decided to stay in the service as women’s football wasn’t going to be paid enough in comparison. Either way fully professional is going to be more than the couple of hundred quid a week (at best for most) for National League North/South players

I'm sure I read the average wage in the WSL was in the region of £30,000 a year.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I completely disagree. If you follow your logic why are Lewes men getting lower attendences than Brighton? Their tickets are cheaper!
The Brighton v Fulham game sold more tickets because it has a HUGE amount of money pumped into it over decades. The women's game has had nothing close to that, so it will not be comparable to the top flight in men's football!
To determine if women's football is "working" or "interesting" we need to compare like for like.
Currently the bottom end of attendances in league 2 are 2-3k. The women's numbers are not too far off that.

People used to flock to see the Albion way before they had 'huge' sums of money pumped into them. In the 50's, 60's and early 70's crowds were pretty good at times, usually coinciding with a successful run or promotion push. That was simply down to fluctuating interest as well as die-hard support. I would suggest that this doesn't exist for women's football at the moment. There are loads of women at my workplace who love football, but in the 11 years I have worked there, not a single one of them has EVER mentioned a woman's football game or team. They simply aren't bothered, but they want to talk about Brighton, Palace, Spurs etc...

I wish the women's team well, but if local women can't even register any interest, what hope have they got? I am fed up of the positive discrimination for the game, specially by the PC BBC. It is ridiculous their placement of headlines for the women's champions league and also annoyingly misleading when one glances at them. Why not cover other women's sports so highly which attract many women players?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
One big reason the Albion get large gates is that there is a "big event" feel to turning up at the Amex. That said, even if we were still at Withdean in League One the gates would still be 20 times bigger than Albion in the WPL.

I think there are a couple of things to consider:
Firstly, if you want to see bigger gates in the WPL then give it time - women's football isn't ingrained into the culture of this country for now. It may well over time but until a significant rump of girls in the playground (as opposed to a smallish minority)) dream of playing professional football, that isn't close to the reality.
Secondly, the WPL has potential to be a genuinely relevant spectator sport, but you need to give it a suitable environment to thrive. I get the reasons TLO gives but sticking them 20 miles up the road at Crawley's little ground does nothing but fuel the chasm between the gender teams.

What is the reason they don't play at the Amex? I suspect if the club played there, offered free tickets to STHs, reduced parking charges and a fiver for anyone else, they could open the lower west only and still break all kinds of attendance records. Give people a reason to bring and inspire their daughters.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
It's fundamentally not to do with finances. It's not about how rich or not clubs are.

Albion's WSL 10 match season ticket prices were the following: £45 Adult, £35 Over 65s / Under 21s, £30 Under 18s, £10 Under 10.

At less than a fiver a match top whack and a quid for the little ones, it's affordable for most if not all. Nothing there to price supporters out.

But 376 attended the Albion v Bristol City women's match compared with 30,526 for Albion v Fulham. (BBC stats)

The question is...why?

I'm gonna stick my neck out here and leave myself open for a bit of abuse......

It's because women's football isn't very good.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm gonna stick my neck out here and leave myself open for a bit of abuse......

It's because women's football isn't very good.
I don't actually think that's the reason. The Albion were dogshit in the 90s yet still 2,500 travelled 170 miles round trip to Gillingham to watch them play.

Besides, if you see the goal that beat us last week, it was genuinely a quality goal.

:wave: I care. With the girls in the now fully professional Women's Super League, I will be paying attention this season. I know others that will be too.

Now that women's football is finally getting publicity and some investment, we should see the quality of football improve dramatically.

I completely agree with the BBC that the Women's Champions League should be on the front page ahead of international friendlies, the EFL trophy and the FA Cup qualifying fixtures of today. Why shouldn't it??

It will take time for the women's game to grow decent attendances, and when it gets to that point the Albion probably would consider more permanent facilities for the girls, but it's still very early days.

Thank you. I do as well, Youngest Potting is an avid fan (no pressure from Dad, honest) and keeps asking me when our first game this season is (Spurs actually) and looks forward to her Saturday morning football training. Hope to get to some of the games at Crawley.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
I don't actually think that's the reason. The Albion were dogshit in the 90s yet still 2,500 travelled 170 miles round trip to Gillingham to watch them play.

Besides, if you see the goal that beat us last week, it was genuinely a quality goal.

While you're correct in that you can see a decent goal or two, I just get the general feeling of a distinct lack of pace (of the game) when I watch women's football. It all seems very lethargic at times, even though the girls are really going for it. Maybe just a lack of physicality?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
While you're correct in that you can see a decent goal or two, I just get the general feeling of a distinct lack of pace (of the game) when I watch women's football. It all seems very lethargic at times, even though the girls are really going for it. Maybe just a lack of physicality?
Indeed, but that's open to improvement. When the riches are there, you'll see athleticism improve as it has done in tennis. Men's football was nowhere near as athletic as it is now as recently as the 70s or 80s.

So I can understand why you say it's not very good, but I'm not sure it's true. Anyone who plays the game even semi-regularly will appreciate good play when they go to a game. Specifically, you just don't realise how little time players have to get the ball under control and do something with it until you've played yourself, and whilst the women's game isn't as fast yet I'd still say that holds true in the WPL.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Point of order, the phrase NSC Gestapo should be exclusively used for THE MODS, as we have the matching uniform.

The phrase you are looking for is NSC Mavis Rileys.

That is all.

:thumbsup: :lolol:

*polishes jackboots*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I think the problem here is the extent of coverage the women’s game gets in the press in the context of it actual quality and level of support as compared to the men’s game. It just feels forced somehow - as if we are effectively being told that as sports fans, we need to be interested in it.

Probably get flamed for this but it just isn’t as good or exciting. My home season ticket takes me to Amex 19 times every season. That’s enough football for me thanks and if I’m at a loose end I may pop down to the Nye Camp.

Compare the quality of a women’s football match to that say of a tennis match where the overall quality is so much higher. I hope women’s football takes off, I really do, but I think it’s got a good few years to go yet

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I find it interesting that we have one thread about "Pretendences" where a fair few posters have said the only stat that matters is the result, attendances are meaningless, and then another thread, this one, where people can't stop banging on about attendances.

The only difference between the two threads is the gender of the players.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I find it interesting that we have one thread about "Pretendences" where a fair few posters have said the only stat that matters is the result, attendances are meaningless, and then another thread, this one, where people can't stop banging on about attendances.

The only difference between the two threads is the gender of the players.
It seems you need the bleeding obvious pointing out to you, so I'll do it:

In the men's game thread, people are debating whether or not it matters that TWENTY EIGHT THOUSAND are turning up to a game where the gate is announced at THIRTY THOUSAND.
In the women's game thread, people are debating the reason why only THREE HUNDRED people are bothering to turn up to a women's game played the highest level.

I've capitalised that other tiny difference between the threads beyond the gender of the players. Hope this helps.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
It seems you need the bleeding obvious pointing out to you, so I'll do it:

In the men's game thread, people are debating whether or not it matters that TWENTY EIGHT THOUSAND are turning up to a game where the gate is announced at THIRTY THOUSAND.
In the women's game thread, people are debating the reason why only THREE HUNDRED people are bothering to turn up to a women's game played the highest level.

I've capitalised that other tiny difference between the threads beyond the gender of the players. Hope this helps.

Having a good morning Simster?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
What is the reason they don't play at the Amex? I suspect if the club played there, offered free tickets to STHs, reduced parking charges and a fiver for anyone else, they could open the lower west only and still break all kinds of attendance records. Give people a reason to bring and inspire their daughters.

They've played at the Amex at least once - I was there. They had a gate of a couple of thousand too (and it wasn't free to STHs). There were plenty of daughters in the crowd as well.

But what will really boost it is more girls playing football at school and in clubs. We're still at early stages - men's football's been going for 150 years, women's football (in England) only really started in 1971 and only at a properly organised level in the last 20 years or so. Women's football is still in the era of Blackburn Olympic and Royal Engineers - give it a few more years.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I think you're missing the context a bit. The thread was started as a match report and was dying a slow death with 1 reply all day. The kind of thread that tends to slide into oblivion within a day. But then mid-evening it started attracting a few posts to it and was bumping around the top of the board, so it was fairly clear it had moved on from being a match report. Especially when you see Simster, TLO and Hart's Shirt amongst others are getting involved. At that point, it's worth a click to see what's going on or just have quiet chuckle. Especially on a dull Wednesday night.
LOLs. Noticing that it had accumulated 7 pages worth of responses, and that this probably meant that it had turned into a bit of a binfest, was exactly why I clicked on!

The women's team is of no interest to me either. The Albion Road did a load of stuff on their game on last week's podcast, which I just fast-forwarded through as I just wanted to listen to the stuff about the Fulham game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here