Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion to be a host venue...

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Then why did you ask? Just to try and get a snide swipe in at the same time?

Jesus. Is it not a fair question to ask what the quality is like these days? It used to be absolutely woeful, nobody can deny that, so I was wondering if it had improved, which I assume it must have done.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Good point, but perhaps offer them for one-off games. See it as a positive discrimination exercise to change minds/attitudes towards another part of the professional game.

The women’s team is still BHA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You shouldn’t try and bribe people to watch it by putting them at a disadvantage when it comes to following the team they’ve always followed if they don’t. That is madness, and will just piss people off.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
1. Have a look and see. (You will probably find sonething else to moan about though)

I watched a bit of the recent U20 Women's World Cup in France and the standard of football is pretty good these days. The goalkeeping can still be interesting but I was pleasantly surprised at the speed and physicality of some of the games. Attendances weren't great in the games I saw though.

2. Why is it ridiculas? Loyalty points for supporting the club seems sensible to me.

Where do you draw the line though. Do you give loyalty points for going youth, reserve, powerchair games as well? I think it would create more issue than the hassle as people would just buy tickets and not attend the games.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Jesus. Is it not a fair question to ask what the quality is like these days? It used to be absolutely woeful, nobody can deny that, so I was wondering if it had improved, which I assume it must have done.

Then you have an interest :) I enjoy watching it, it seems to crop up on BT Sport/ESPN fairly often, U20 Word Cup has been on recently. Generally slightly slower than the mens game but not to the detriment of the experience, some quality passing especially.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Impressive. Why are the league attendances so low? The Albion have been really pushing the women's team for a while, so you would have thought they'd have been able to generate a bit more interest in it.

About 1,000 attend each women's game. Not bad for second-tier match. For a start, it's not cheap. In found the ten quid to get in (the most expensive in the division last season) unnecessarily high. Most clubs were charging £6-8. Then there is the facilities. Culver Road is OK (the chips are exquisite - and cheap!), but some people like to watch games from an elevated view, or - given how good the Amex is - in a better stand.

Football is in the blood and the majority of fans will already outlay a significant amount on time and money following their Mens team. The women's game needs to try and attract the new supporters and probably needs to be more focused at families etc.

And what hasn't helped is that Brighton Women will be playing their home games at Crawley, which is ludicrous. I understand the reasoning - it's something foisted upon the club by the FA. But if the club was REALLY keen to promote women's football, they would invest in facilities closer to home. More expense - yes, but something which - once the women's game really takes off - would put the club in the vanguard of the sport.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Technically, the skill levels are quite good. As entertainment, it is, in my opinion, woeful due to being so much slower. If a team defending a corner clears the ball and starts a counter attack, you can nip out for a slash and be back watching the game before they get it into the final third.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
What’s the quality like these days? Is it still a bit slow and with rubbish goalkeepers, or has that changed?

It's always improving. I can't attest to being a constant viewer but the game at the top is coming up leaps and bounds. Chelsea have turned into a superb team under Emma Hayes and keeping standards have improved to no end. See the following video for a good example some high level games.

It's not got the pace of the top two tiers of men's football and there is a wide skill gap between the top tier and the rest in terms of standard. A European elite is very much starting to form however with Chelsea, Juventus, Wolfsburg, Lyon, Barcelona, PSG and Bayern Munich. (Wolfsburg and Lyon are seen as superior). I think it is far more likely we see a breakaway European league in the women's game before we see it in the Mens.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

For the sake of a tenner and a potentially wasted afternoon, you can go and find out for yourself. There's at least three Albion Premier League games in London this season.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
About 1,000 attend each women's game. Not bad for second-tier match. For a start, it's not cheap. In found the ten quid to get in (the most expensive in the division last season) unnecessarily high. Most clubs were charging £6-8. Then there is the facilities. Culver Road is OK (the chips are exquisite - and cheap!), but some people like to watch games from an elevated view, or - given how good the Amex is - in a better stand.

And what hasn't helped is that Brighton Women will be playing their home games at Crawley, which is ludicrous. I understand the reasoning - it's something foisted upon the club by the FA. But if the club was REALLY keen to promote women's football, they would invest in facilities closer to home. More expense - yes, but something which - once the women's game really takes off - would put the club in the vanguard of the sport.

That certainly reduces the accessibility of the games, seems a crazy decision to me.

The other factor is that games are played on a Sunday, the day when many people are playing their own sports. I'm tied up with girls rugby on that day so can't make it to games (the same way that I often miss out on 1st team games on a Sunday). I don't know why they don't experiment with a few double-headers and play them before our league games - works quite well with rugby.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Sweet, I'd be up for that.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
That certainly reduces the accessibility of the games, seems a crazy decision to me.

The other factor is that games are played on a Sunday, the day when many people are playing their own sports. I'm tied up with girls rugby on that day so can't make it to games (the same way that I often miss out on 1st team games on a Sunday). I don't know why they don't experiment with a few double-headers and play them before our league games - works quite well with rugby.

Comparing rugby with football at times drives me round the twist, especially when it comes to considering refereeing decisions.

In this instance, I don't think it wouldn't work because the smooth quality of the pitch is nothing like the issue in rugby as it is in football, and a women's match before the men's match would cut up the pitch enough to adversely affect the later game.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I watched a bit of the recent U20 Women's World Cup in France and the standard of football is pretty good these days. The goalkeeping can still be interesting but I was pleasantly surprised at the speed and physicality of some of the games. Attendances weren't great in the games I saw though.

And there was a Brighton player in the team - Chloe Peplow - which bodes well for her and the club.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
In this instance, I don't think it wouldn't work because the smooth quality of the pitch is nothing like the issue in rugby as it is in football, and a women's match before the men's match would cut up the pitch enough to adversely affect the later game.

I'm not so sure. We're not talking about football in the old days when pitches often resembled a ploughed field, they're much more durable these days. It may well be worth a try, particularly in the early part of the season when pitches are generally dry.

BTW, why should you compare football with other sports? I think administrators should be open minded and see if there's anything another sport does that could enhance their own eg cricket umpires being able to administer red cards from this season

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
1. You moaned about the pace and auality of keeping.
2. Why not? They are points for following the club. They are part of the club.

1. Moaning would have been saying “I’m sick of watching this crap, it’s about time we signed better players” etc. I was asking a genuine question about whether the quality had improved, as last time I watched it it was poor.

2. So if the Albion were a sports club like Barcelona, for example, would you advocate giving out loyalty points for watching the basketball team?

So many people so desperate to show how right-on they are by defending the women’s team against people who aren’t even attacking them. Gotta love Brighton.

Bored with this thread now anyway, cheerio.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I'm not so sure. We're not talking about football in the old days when pitches often resembled a ploughed field, they're much more durable these days. It may well be worth a try, particularly in the early part of the season when pitches are generally dry.

It's not about them being 'durable', it's about them being in the best possible state. We are not talking about football in the old days when 'good enough' was adequate. We're talking about hundreds of millions of pounds being at stake, and two professional men's teams having to play on a recently cut-up pitch (and yes, the pitch will cut up) is not really a palatable option.

There's a reason why people aren't allowed on to the pitch for the most part...

BTW, why should you compare football with other sports? I think administrators should be open minded and see if there's anything another sport does that could enhance their own eg cricket umpires being able to administer red cards from this season

Being open-minded is one thing. Assuming that because something works in one sport then it will work in another is something completely different. Playing two successive professional football matches because rugby does it is an example.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Brighton & Hove Albion to be a host venue...

Great news for the club.
But surely there’s been an omission? Selhurst Park hasn’t been chosen, by 2021 their new stand will be open and Selhurst will be transformed (then again, maybe not).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Clearly there is a huge lack of interest in women's football in this country, as seen by the current attendances

England's matches last year in the Euros on Channel 4 drew the same audience as a typical episode of EastEnders or Coronation Street.
Last Sunday Man Utd had nearly 5K spectators for a League Cup match v Reading.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here