Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Flasks banned from the Amex

Pickles

May 5, 2014
By all means have a go at the club for banning flasks, although I think it’s a fuss about nothing.

However there’s no evidence that the motive is financial. If PB’s aim was to maximise income and cut costs that things like AITC would have been binned off ages ago as it’s a significant cost for the club. A few extra cuppas sold isn’t the driver of the decision as it’s so inconsequential.

There may be no evidence that it's financial, that's why it's beautifully easy to say otherwise, but it's one of the final turning of 'Bottom line paul's' screw.

Like yourself, we're all battle hardened with our Albion, but I think even you are missing the bigger picture.( and i don't mean dwarves with things x )

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
What is the old saying 'watch the pennies and the pounds will take care of themselves'.

IMHO this was a move that he hoped would go through with very little fuss as opposed to acting against AITC or cutting back in that area as suggested by El Pres which would raise a volume of storm and complaint.
If it was financial the club would put 10p on a pint and raise far more money than banning flasks.

This will be advice given to the club and wouldn't have originated from within.

Laptops will be next.

Without turning this into a conspiracy theory I'm of the firm belief that the club has been advised over the last few years to increase security and this started before the Premier League and after the Rugby World Cup.

I'd also suggest the club are trying to perform a balancing act against attempting to make it one of the most "open" arenas in the country.

Is there another ground where away and home fans can mingle around drinking INSIDE the ground after the game?

At the end of the day security is expensive. The club would save money if it dropped security and bag searches all together.

The club aren't being totally transparent about the reasons but then again why unnecessarily worry people.

The ban on sweets on 1901 however is the usual type of Ryanair corporate pettiness.

There is no need to come into line with other arenas since (for instance) not all airlines behave like Ryanair.

If you bring a packed lunch that's different, but a ban on sweets? Even the airlines don't do that....

Last edited:

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I genuinely don't think this is the case here. It's more in line with a lot of other event arenas of a similar size/profile, security intelligence and advice is now far more sophisticated and regular and as CEO he's got personal responsibility for the safety of over 30,000 people once every couple of weeks. You're right the club is different - but along with that the risk profile of the Amex (let alone pre-Amex days) is now hugely higher than it was when we were in the championship so I can understand the club wanting to mitigate risks as far as reasonably possible. A single incident would be a disaster. Stopping people taking in shell-sized metal containers that could contain anything doesn't seem unreasonable to me when drinks are available inside and it's only for a couple of hours anyway. Understand it's annoying if it's something you've always done, but times and circumstances change.

I'm can't disagree with your post but what if a ban was imposed on taking any object into the Amex? (unless pre-cleared on medical grounds) Say for an immediate example.. mobile phones?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
There may be no evidence that it's financial, that's why it's beautifully easy to say otherwise, but it's one of the final turning of 'Bottom line paul's' screw.

Like yourself, we're all battle hardened with our Albion, but I think even you are missing the bigger picture.( and i don't mean dwarves with things x )

If it was financial and they thought they could make a few extra quid, then it would have been implemented when the club were making losses right up to the FFP limits in the 4 years before we got promoted, not now that we’re making a modest profit.

And if they wanted to improve that profit, then they’d bin another loss maker, such as funding a full time women’s team. It’d save far more money that any extra income on hot drinks (if indeed any extra drinks sales are possible with the kiosks seemingly already at full capacity). And I expect fewer people would care.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'm can't disagree with your post but what if a ban was imposed on taking any object into the Amex? (unless pre-cleared on medical grounds) Say for an immediate example.. mobile phones?

A mobile phone ban would be impossible to enforce, a flask ban just about possible. You eliminate risk where you can.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Again, in the current situation binning the ladies team would cause more complaints than most things, not in my eyes I must add as I would scrap all that football.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Again, in the current situation binning the ladies team would cause more complaints than most things, not in my eyes I must add as I would scrap all that football.

If you still think this is financial and the board sat down and had a vote on whether it was flasks or womens football you truly exist on a different planet.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Sometimes I swear your brain is still in another room when you reach the keyboard.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
A mobile phone ban would be impossible to enforce, a flask ban just about possible. You eliminate risk where you can.

I would think a mobile phone offers a greater security risk than virtually anything else Just an example 1 person has the phone, 1 the detonator etc, 1 the required chemicals for a bomb and they all meet in the toilets then ask to be let out for a smoke, which the stewards would do then vanish.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I would think a mobile phone offers a greater security risk than virtually anything else Just an example 1 person has the phone, 1 the detonator etc, 1 the required chemicals for a bomb and they all meet in the toilets then ask to be let out for a smoke, which the stewards would do then vanish.

You are pure comedy at times. On this thread...

Admitted to taking alcohol into the ground then moaned about new rules.

Suggested the flask ban is financial and the club should be looking at removing the women's team to save money.

Now inferring mobiles are actually the danger by summarising the detail of a potential terrorist plot involving an unwitting steward who allowed the terrorist outside for a smoke.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
You are pure comedy at times. On this thread...

Admitted to taking alcohol into the ground then moaned about new rules.

Suggested the flask ban is financial and the club should be looking at removing the women's team to save money.

Now inferring mobiles are actually the danger by summarising the detail of a potential terrorist plot involving an unwitting steward who allowed the terrorist outside for a smoke.

[MENTION=451]BensGrandad[/MENTION]'s Stream Of Consciousness.

Frightening isn't it!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
By all means have a go at the club for banning flasks, although I think it’s a fuss about nothing.

However there’s no evidence that the motive is financial. If PB’s aim was to maximise income and cut costs that things like AITC would have been binned off ages ago as it’s a significant cost for the club. A few extra cuppas sold isn’t the driver of the decision as it’s so inconsequential.
I’m with Pickles with this, it’s obvious. He puts it perfectly. As for AITC, well that’s because EVERY Premier League and Football League team do this and they would get slaughtered by the press if they didn’t. Would’nt
be good for Brand Brighton that. They’ll be more tweaks here and there and when they squeeze the catering franchise sooner or later then watch Harveys disappear. No bad thing that though.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Phones won't be banned, but it won't be long before there are airport-style scanners I reckon. Have already experienced this at some sports events

Did Barber ever give the "security" reason behind banning them? He has to give a reason surely?
We should have a game where we boycott buying anything in protest. I bet the security "issue" would soon disappear then!

Pretty sure he absolutely shouldn't and wouldn't give the reason - particularly if it was due to intelligence received (for a literal example, security briefing from the police advising that terrorists have developed a 'thermos bomb')

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado

:eek: So they are going to blow the toilets up :moo:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
My point is that if the club decided to scrap the ladies team there would be untold complaints. But not from me.

Maybe you should start another thread for that little campaign of yours instead of derailing this one like you have done to so many others.

Perhaps you could have a little think before you post, something like this....

'Will what I write actually relate to the topic in question and furthermore, will my offering be beneficial and aid further discussion?'

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patreon
Jan 19, 2010
What's the relevance to flasks?

Caroline Flask?

ITV-Plc.jpg

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I strongly disagree. We should be told, otherwise it sets a dangerous precedent for clubs (and other places) banning anything they want on "security" grounds. There should be a strong comprehensive arguement as to why the item is banned. Not saying Barber would ban stuff for the wrong reasons but others might and it sends the wrong message.

I don't think so - they can do what they want - their property, their rules. Lots of places already ban lots of things......not all make sense. They don't have to justify each and every action/decision.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here