Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Uncharted territory for the Albion

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
We have no idea how these transfers will work out but top marks to TB for pushing the boat out - unbelievable! This will be a whole new ball game for everyone - CH will never had such a valuable cargo on board and keeping this lot happy will be an additional task he will have to deal with. The scouting team have thus far got the right type of people in, let’s hope none of these lets them down.
Exciting times.

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove
The thing is though, it's not TB investing anymore, in as much as he's not now (presumably) having to dig in his own pockets for this? We're presumably spending the PL money we are earning? Although football finances remain a little hazy to me.

TB is still investing, as he hasn't taken his money out. The sums are eye-watering

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Well one thing's for sure. Even if, worst case, the new signings don't work and we end up being relegated with an expensive bunch of misfits nobody can say that the club has 'lacked ambition'. We are still very much in the Golden Age of Brighton and Hove Albion FC - enjoy it.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
There can be no doubt that we “are going for it”. The club have managed to bring in the players they wanted and the fans have high expectations of staying up again. What actually happens is another matter but I think we can all agree that we are well prepared for the coming season. Bloody BRING IT ON. Fabulous just fabulous times to be an Albion fan.

I would like to see us outside the relegation battle after a month or so and up for actually really going for it in a cup competition too.

I think we’ll see way more squad rotation this season.

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
Staying up last year was crucial - on the basis of that, yep we're pushing on! Thanks Tony and all the team for showing such ambition. God I hope the crowds get behind the team this year - even during the inevitable wobbles.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
There can be no doubt that we “are going for it”.QUOTE]

Yes, but I believe the wage cap of £45k-£50k remains in force which is around half what that lot up the road pay their high earners.

This makes things less risky, especially as I'd be confident we have relegation clauses in contracts as standard.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Staying up last year was crucial - on the basis of that, yep we're pushing on! Thanks Tony and all the team for showing such ambition. God I hope the crowds get behind the team this year - even during the inevitable wobbles.

Let’s hope the remaining 800 tickets for Man Utd get snapped up.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Great to see new acquisitions come in early this year and plenty of them, but is it quantity or quality?

I really hope they all settle in well and are really productive for the team, but it would be unrealistic to think that all the new additions will be a success and it's probable that 1 or 2 might not cut it at this level. We are in new territory with pretty much all the new signings. If the success rate is as good as last year with only Sutner and Locadia not fulfilling expectations, then I'm confident we could finish mid table.That was a pretty good ratio of success from last year's additions.

Here's hoping!!!

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
This season will be much tougher with so many new faces and we will probably finish in a lower position than last season.
It is the 2019/20 season where it will pay dividends, as we have probably got the long term team in now and will only get in the odd one or two.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
The succession of exciting signings has got me thinking about how excited I am for the start of the new season. I feel something similar every year but that's more because I look forward to supporting the team regardless of prospects/quality/entertainment. Rather it's just a great day out and loyalty to the Albion has been a constant feature of life for over 40 years. Last year was no different as it was the same old Albion fighting rearguard battles against superior opposition. Towards the end of the season though something began to change.. we started to compete and the win over Man U confirmed the change. Now Chris has spent the Summer assembling a squad that actually looks like competing in the top division and I have never looked forward to a trip to Watford like I am now. I'm not getting carried away. I will be ecstatic if we finish 10th and have a cup run.
Am I right ? Is this season going to be different to a classic Albion one or do I have heatstroke ?
i feel the same but all the clubs are investing heavily the difference we are also building for the future but you are right I enjoyed following the Albion for over 55 years and I am looking forward to another season starting with next Friday's friendly.
Bring it on.

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
I think this could be a career-defining season for Hughton personally.

I love him and he did an amazing job last year, largely relying on a solid, safety-first approach.

This year with the signings, people (not just Albion fans) will expect more. If it doesn’t work out, everyone will drag up his record with Norwich and the signing of Van Wolfswinkel as evidence that he is a limited manager who can’t cut it at the top level when trying to be more ambitious (though I won’t think that myself).

I expect he is aware that this season is hugely important for his reputation in football generally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think this could be a career-defining season for Hughton personally.

I love him and he did an amazing job last year, largely relying on a solid, safety-first approach.

This year with the signings, people (not just Albion fans) will expect more. If it doesn’t work out, everyone will drag up his record with Norwich and the signing of Van Wolfswinkel as evidence that he is a limited manager who can’t cut it at the top level when trying to be more ambitious (though I won’t think that myself).

I expect he is aware that this season is hugely important for his reputation in football generally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You make a good point, although most of us would be happy with just staying up, a repeat of our lack of attacking flair away from home could well lead to some muttering. Personally I think we’ll be more entertaining to watch and as long as we stay up that will do for me.

We have seen how Hughton’s tactics work when he has players up to the division when we got promoted, although I can’t ever see him ditching the safety first approach and going hung ho like Eddie Howe. So hanging on to lead with 11 men behind the ball for the last 15 is unlikely to change.

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
I think the comparisons to our second season in the first division are appropriate. We made some really good signings that year and strengthened considerably. This year too we have strengthened the squad. What hasn’t generally been said is how lucky we have been and what a great opportunity we have this year. Last year we had a thin squad with a good first team who suffered few injuries and suspensions. The only players that we have lost who made any appearances last year are
Issie Brown 13
Leo Ulloa 10
Jamie Murphy 4
Connor Goldson 3
Liam Rosenior 3
Use Hunemeier 1
Even if we lost Hemed (16 appearances) and Baldock (2 appearances) it is clear we still have last year’s team. The real fortune has been that we have had the opportunity to replace our reserve players in virtually every position without having a crisis in any position where we had to bring someone in or fail. In some cases the new plays will just be reserve players, some will go straight into the first team and others are young and will develop. The club have taken this opportunity really well.
I have a few concerns too before we get carried away. Most of the new players will take time to develop and half of them may not work out as well as we hope. The biggest risk is in attack. Murray is getting older and Andone has not recently scored a lot of goals. Locadia is still an unknown quantity and looks a bigger risk than other signings. We really need one of Andone or Locadia to come good as a centre forward. Last year we started with Murray, Hemed Baldock and Brown and everyone was very worried. This year we have Murray, Andone, Locadia, and we don’t know about Baldock and Hemed. Seems to me that either we trust and keep Hemed (which I’m happy with) or we might still be a striker short. However he has said he wants to play or go. I’m pretty confident that Bernardo, Jahanbakhsh and Bissouma (and perhaps Balogun) will make a good impact. We should get more goals this year from other players than the front striker. Therefore I expect us to be ok.
As to where we’ll finish. Overall I think the competition will be stronger than last year. I would be happy with 15th again and to push on the following year.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
The biggest thing for me is if we replace muzzas goals, generally all very important point winning goals and I worry that we dont have a striker with 15 goals in them, saying that the rest of the team will hopefully contribute a little more this season, we are certainly going to need it.

UTA.

I think we have to assume that we will better last season’s total of one goal from defenders and central midfielders.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
No matter how this season goes, we should all constantly remind ourselves this is ‘Peak Albion’ and be thankful for another year of global attention, many World Class players at the Amex and everything else that comes with the whole crazy EPL journey.

I’m really excited about all these new players but there are some more important questions that will govern our destiny.

1. Can the likes of Groß, Dunk and Ryan continue their fantastic form?
2. Will veterans Murray & Bruno continue to be 1st on the teamsheet?
3. Will we be able to defend corners/set pieces better this season?
4. Can we improve our awful away form?
5. Will our central midfielders ever score?
6. Will we get 6 points from the scum up the road?
7. Can we consistently score enough goals throughout the season to remain relatively clear of relegation?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here