Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Buying a new mower

ruthers

Feb 24, 2013
I did quite a lot of research on this and went for a 4 stroke Honda. Cuts lovely stripes (especially if you get one with rear roller) & preferably go for a self drive option as the 'pushers' are quite heavy.
Very expensive new so maybe look for a well serviced one on the usual second hand or auction sites.

Shy Talk

Mar 3, 2012
Brighton
Do not, on any account buy a McCullough. IT may have a top-of-the-range Briggs And Stratton engine, but the rest of it is crap and bits will start falling off as soon as you unpack it. Petrol(4stroke) self propelled is best. 16-18 inch cut is good. A roller is good for stripes and cutting to the edge.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Have used a Honda 'Izy' 4-stroke petrol for 6 years. Reliable, lightweight, easily adjustable cutting height, fairly compact for storage, easy to maintain and does a neat job. :thumbsup:

daveybgtt

May 12, 2010
North Sompting
I get some nice stripeage with an old qualcast electric mower that came with the house, took the roller off and filled it with sand. Am on the lookout for a secondhand Hayter though, they pop up fairly regularly on EBAY.

stripes.jpg

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Do not, on any account buy a McCullough. IT may have a top-of-the-range Briggs And Stratton engine, but the rest of it is crap and bits will start falling off as soon as you unpack it. Petrol(4stroke) self propelled is best. 16-18 inch cut is good. A roller is good for stripes and cutting to the edge.

We call them Briggs and Scrapum.....but you are so right re McCullochs

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Ullo John gotta new mower

image.jpeg

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
think Iam going to need on at the new place
looking at a push mower
good exercise

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Decision time at the weekend, any more for any more?

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
If going for electric one - Have found my Bosch Rotak very good and robust excellent - excellent cut, chomps thru flint and other non grass items and hovers the lawn perfectly. Would love a petrol one though if only to smell the two stroke.

I'm with you Val. Bought one 2 years ago. Can't remember the exact model no but it was the higher spec of the two models on offer. Very happy with my Bosch.

If going for electric, I would recommend it.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Back in the day when I lived in a house with a lawn we used one of these bad boys ....highly recommended

6359409-vretenova-sekacka-atco-suffolk-punch-17-sk-allett-17l--2815-29-7.jpg

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I've ordered this fella, as it was a good price and is big enough for my lawn, but not too big.

Daft question I know, but having never had a petrol mower before, can I just use the standard petrol out of the petrol pump?

Shy Talk

Mar 3, 2012
Brighton
I've ordered this fella, as it was a good price and is big enough for my lawn, but not too big.

Daft question I know, but having never had a petrol mower before, can I just use the standard petrol out of the petrol pump?
Can't see what model it is. Yes use normal petrol, unless it's a 2stroke, in which case you'll need to add oil. Let's mow!

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
think Iam going to need on at the new place
looking at a push mower
good exercise

Don't do it Glas, you'll kill yourself. Get a self propelled petrol, rotary preferably, cylinder if you must. ( Last 20 years before I retired were spent cutting peoples grass. I didn't do Golf courses or big private estates, so I've never met anybody with a lawn.)

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Don't do it Glas, you'll kill yourself. Get a self propelled petrol, rotary preferably, cylinder if you must. ( Last 20 years before I retired were spent cutting peoples grass. I didn't do Golf courses or big private estates, so I've never met anybody with a lawn.)

might go looking for a s/h one electric or petrol
would'nt mind but I left two mowers in Wales as we did not have a lawn here
the new place has a good but small to medium one and a decent garden for the Summer evenings and lots of cool drinks ........thats if we ever get there still waiting on the lease which starts on the 1st may.
still will let it wash all over us as we have been through all this before.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

Petrol goes off, so after the last cut of the year, around october (?), drain the fuel out of it and lob it in your car. If any Palace suporters are reading this replace "in your car" with "through the letterbox of your local furniture store".

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
My garden was turfed a couple of weeks ago. After a decent amount of rain, I'm quite pleased with how it's looking (particularly as the drainage in one corner seemed to be roughly on a par with the Somme before that). At some stage over the next few weeks, I'll have to invest in a mower, so this thread is particularly opportune in its timing. Thanks!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here