Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
No. I think the reality of the situation will mean that there is a rethink. Most likely will be EFTA, but failing that a second ref.

I would judge EFTA to be still EU, based on the fact that we have to be part of it's laws.

We were in EFTA before we joined the EU, and had to leave it because of joining. The perfect symmetry is that we now re-join on leaving the EU.

By the way, all that 'rule taking' nonsense spouted a lot is just.... nonsense.

(See complete twitter thread linked )

https://twitter.com/AdrianYalland/status/1073867169723756544?s=19

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
Project fear... Explain what project fear is. It is just another annoying sound bite that doesn't mean anything. Hardly project fear when most things the Remain side said are coming true.

Two big reasons people voted leave were just lies… we have always:
Been Sovereign… https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...endum-campaign-brussels-article-a7559556.html

We have always been able to control our boarders and send EU citizens back after 3 months: https://www.theguardian.com/comment...-back-control-immigration-eu-directive-brexit

Most of the media and most people did not even understand the impact of Brexit. There is so much new information that has come to light which is why i cannot understand why Brexiters are so against a 2nd referendum. This is ultimately what Democracy is... We have identified new information so lets have another vote. Maybe we can even put some flesh on the bones about what flavour of Brexit the majority will go for. I keep hearing the Norway style rule being brandished about however this won't please the majority as free movement of people was one of the biggest reasons for voting Brexit.

I voted remain however the negatives of Brexit are even more stark than i could envisage.

Whether we leave stay etc etc i don't care now however this uncertainty is really affecting the economy.

Project fear is still raging. It is the remain side of the argument trying to scare people with what they believe will happen.

People did understand Brexit when voting, they have voiced their opinion at the ballot box. That is why I am happy to just leave and why leave voters are not changing their minds. The only issue strangely unmentioned before was the Irish border issue.

I respect you want to remain and voted that way but you fail to look at the positives and concentrate on the negatives. A sensible solution is out there but to obtain it the EU need to take on board that we are more than willing to leave without a deal. MP's for the most part have not taken that on board. I feel that they have let leave voters down and made us look globally incompetent.

I agree some certainty is urgently needed. That is what is doing more damage to us as a nation...

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Do you remember the night of 31st December 1999. .... People stockpiled food, drugs, all sorts.

Of course they did. People do that every New Year's Eve when they're having a party...

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Project fear is still raging. It is the remain side of the argument trying to scare people with what they believe will happen.

People did understand Brexit when voting, they have voiced their opinion at the ballot box. That is why I am happy to just leave and why leave voters are not changing their minds. The only issue strangely unmentioned before was the Irish border issue.

I respect you want to remain and voted that way but you fail to look at the positives and concentrate on the negatives. A sensible solution is out there but to obtain it the EU need to take on board that we are more than willing to leave without a deal. MP's for the most part have not taken that on board. I feel that they have let leave voters down and made us look globally incompetent.

I agree some certainty is urgently needed. That is what is doing more damage to us as a nation...

Please PLEASE tell me what some of the positives are as if i knew this i wouldn't be so worried.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Whilst I don’t want it, a No-deal Brexit will be utterly hilarious to watch from a safe distance.

That's a bit of a c*ntish thing to say. I'm all for a laugh, but you're talking about people's job, business, houses and families suffering.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Please PLEASE tell me what some of the positives are as if i knew this i wouldn't be so worried.

If we don't leave some angry nutters will punch MPs, or worse. Think that is the main positive of leaving, oh and blue passports. :thumbsup:

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton

Firstly thanks for a sensible reply. I will happily leave however i don't think that there is anything wrong with a second referendum, as i said we know more now than before the vote (that is a fact for all), however if we do end up leaving i would like the negotiation to be done cross party, by all Brexiters. This way if/when the proverbial hits the fan the remainers won't get blamed for trying to sabotage Brexit or for not believing hard enough. I mean no matter how much i believe in unicorns i am not going to see one.

I would like a few examples of what you class as Project fear...
Stories like Barclays moving 250 billion to Ireland to remain within the EU is fact. https://www.irishtimes.com/business...and-s-biggest-bank-thanks-to-brexit-1.3594630

I can find tens and tens of these stories that are fact and not "project fear"

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
so basically it was an opinion poll which some people took to be gospel and went on a very ill advised power trip because of it and ****ed us all with a very spiky thing . . . whilst the perpetrator strolled off to Nice. **** indeed.

Errrr ..... you're not actually factually correct. The terms of a referendum are defined in the legislation for THAT referendum - so they can either be binding or advisory. The legislation for the 2016 one said advisory ...... it could have said binding but didn't.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Firstly thanks for a sensible reply. I will happily leave however i don't think that there is anything wrong with a second referendum, as i said we know more now than before the vote (that is a fact for all), however if we do end up leaving i would like the negotiation to be done cross party, by all Brexiters. This way if/when the proverbial hits the fan the remainers won't get blamed for trying to sabotage Brexit or for not believing hard enough. I mean no matter how much i believe in unicorns i am not going to see one.
That's how it should have been done from the start. We'd then probably be exactly where we are now except all the conspiracy theory, David Icke style mentalism would have been debunked for what it is.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

Stories like Barclays moving 250 billion to Ireland to remain within the EU is fact. https://www.irishtimes.com/business...and-s-biggest-bank-thanks-to-brexit-1.3594630

There can be no cross party working if May doesn't shift on her red lines, which CURRENTLY she is not, so no matter how many times she says she is open to it until she acts it's all talk as usual.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017

We can make trade deals with the world.

New jobs will be created for example border force personnel.

Entrepreneur's will fill gaps in the market creating jobs.

We will have £39 billion extra to invest in our own people, support business and build infrastructure.

We can control who we invite into our country and people here will get better opportunities to train and work in higher paid jobs and careers.

Wages will increase, people will pay more tax because they earn more boosting the economy. You can see why business wants us to stay on this one.

We will make our own laws.

Depends on how you feel about this one, alcohol duty on shop bought wine will increase, making the nation healthier. We can set a different rate of duty to support our pubs. Not possible now with free movement of goods.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That's a bit of a c*ntish thing to say. I'm all for a laugh, but you're talking about people's job, business, houses and families suffering.

Those who voted to leave can do one, get over it, you won, etc etc.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Don't get me wrong, I don't like it as much as you do, but the government is proving to be more shambolic day by day but if no Brexit is better than a no deal Brexit is better for this country then she needs to do what is best for our country, not for her image or the governments image, but what's best for the country.

The problem is, who decides what’s best for the country? If it’s not the electorate then don’t bother asking us at General Elections either!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
50 years ago we had nationalised utilities and public transport, our own manufacturing industry, covering most things, a lot of our own materials and fuel too . . . as well as home grown food.

Now . . .we have a fraction if any of that, everything imported, the utilities and public transport aren't even owned by British companies let alone the nation, our 'fantastic' money making industries are all paper office based 'service' industries. . . . many of which will **** off ASAP if its a hard Brexit . . . .

I'm well aware the EU has many faults and could even fall apart if Italy breaks and some of the 3rd world EU nations screw up ( Portugal/Spain for example) but we're in so deep that reform from within must be the only sensible option without subjecting the entire nation to decades of increased hardship. The UK will break up, Scotland aren't as stupid as England . . . NI will potentially be a war zone again and Wales, won't even notice!

I might look into buying the Palace pier and building an independent Island 'offshore'

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Yeah, probably the biggest impediment to getting a remain vote in a second referendum. If we were only having the first referendum now, to vote on what the government was doing, I'm pretty sure it would be 60-40 remain or even more. But there will be a lot of people who will stick to their first vote whatever they think of whats happening, because that just human nature

I don't accept that. The thing that remainers don't seem to understand is that a large majority of those that voted leave did so because of the principal of sovereignty and control of our laws and money. Nothing has changed on that front so why would their vote change. I think most leavers would accept a small decline in economic growth to achieve this. So they would be voting leave again because they feel as strongly as last time, not just because of some sort of resentment as you suggest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here