Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Australia v Syria

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Does a 0-0 draw send the Aussies out of the competition?

Want Maty back asap, but I don't want their exit to be his fault. Want him back in form :thumbsup:

Mr Cleansheets

Jun 7, 2017
No.

For the Aussies to go out Syria need to win as well as Palestine beating an already qualified Jordan. It's a 24 country competition so 4 best third placed teams also go through
Aaah mediocrity...

Where would my love life, career, and football teams be without you?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Does a 0-0 draw send the Aussies out of the competition?

Want Maty back asap, but I don't want their exit to be his fault. Want him back in form :thumbsup:

No.

For the Aussies to go out Syria need to win as well as Palestine beating an already qualified Jordan. It's a 24 country competition so 4 best third placed teams also go through

Ah. Cheers.

1-0 Syria, with the goal an unstoppable penalty then.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
1-1 straight away. Tell me it was a screamer and a foul on the 'keeper?

Apparently Ryan made a good save, but didn't hold it, and the rebound was put in.

Live text via Guardian site:

43 mins: The old cliche about a team being most vulnerable just after scoring, which is usually rot and nonsense, turns out to be true! Al-Jaan puts in a great cross from the left, Khribin gets up in the middle to meet the header, Mat Ryan saves really well, but Khribin himself reacts quickest to slam the rebound into the roof of the net.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/live/2019/jan/15/australia-v-syria-asian-cup-2019-live

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
No.

Just as well otherwise the last games for the other 4 groups would have been dead rubbers as leading two teams have 6 points and bottom two teams 0

And that should mean Bahrain are through as a best 3rd place. Good (100/1)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
2-2 Penalty

GOAL! Australia 2-2 Syria (Al-Soma 80)

Al-Soma takes the penalty himself, sends Ryan the wrong way and we now have quite a ten minutes on our hands.

Penalty to Syria!

79 mins: Well then! After Khribin has a fine free-kick saved, the ball is returned to the middle where Soma goes down in the area. Initially the referee is unmoved, but perhaps after a word from his assistant, points to the spot!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The commentator described EXACTLY what happened in detail.

If I could understand Serbian I'd tell you what he said

"A taller keeper would have saved that".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here