Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Insensitive, some of the bile (from both sides) on a comment saying 'I sometimes wonder what you guys do for a job', you must be beside yourself when you see your chums ridicule Brexiteers from Stoke and their uneducated chums, do me a favour.

FWIW I have been self employed running my own small businesses all my adult life, that's from 80's up to now, use your imagination on what as a small businessman I might have personally experienced.

Must have been an interesting small business where you didn't need to know the trading terms of your overseas customers ???

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yes, WTO with harmful tariffs... the highest tariffs in fact.
How about transport? European driving licenses, European insurance for haulage in the EU (that you cannot obtain in the UK) . Im sure haulage companies are looking forward to enormous hikes in their premiums, particularly the small ones.

Stop being so negative dave. It will " sort itself out" seemly.

still I am alright jack, as they are talking about a EU passport for those who have to work in the EU which is looking more likely as many of our US customers are and have already moved to our European data centres.

We have also bought a couple of properties in Paris so we don't have to pay our employees hotel bills when they have to work in France.

So our US owners don't care whatsoever what we think or are looking to do, they are proactively moving our customers out of the uk.

Sad really, but who cares..it's only uk jobs . They can retrain to pick fruit

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
FWIW I have been self employed running my own small businesses all my adult life, that's from 80's up to now, use your imagination on what as a small businessman I might have personally experienced.

You will have to give us some clues as to what you do as being a sole-trader/limited company can mean many and varied things. Many people can call themselves a small businessman if they wanted to.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Must have been an interesting small business where you didn't need to know the trading terms of your overseas customers ???

I’m guessing he’s a self-employed something or other and not what I’d call a proper small business. Or buys and sells something quite simple. If it was a more complex business he’d have been offering far more insightful thoughts in his many many previous posts. But let’s see what he comes back with.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Where did he say he traded internationally ? As it happens a vast majority of SMEs don't do any international trade yet they all have to abide by EU trading rules.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Where did he say he traded internationally ? As it happens a vast majority of SMEs don't do any international trade yet they all have to abide by EU trading rules.

And there’s good reason for that as further down the supply line for your goods or service someone might want to...why lose your competitive edge?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

I was simply pointing out that he doesn't seem to think it's an issue for SMEs to know what the trading terms of their overseas customers will be :facepalm:

Out of interest, what do you think an SME should do with European customers' orders just now where the delivery timescale is beyond 7 months ?

I was having a chat with a mate a few days ago and guess what - he runs a company, has customers in Europe and his delivery timescales are just about to drop into this window in the next 6 weeks.

Two Profs still trying to get his head around having more than one mate :lolol:

*edit* Must really go and do some stuff, look forward to your answer :bigwave:

Last edited:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Have all the trolls on here been trained up with new funds from the 'Peoples':lol: Vote?All seem to be singing from the same whine sheet.:lolol:

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Shouldn't you be working hard on the front line rather than playing on the Internet ?

As you will notice I am on between 10.30-11 and 1.30-2 ie tea break. You ok with that. Unlike you whom seems to be online all day. Nice 'work' if you can get it.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I think that tomorrow things will begin to get 'real'. As the poet Auden described thoughts of death: the rumble of thunder at a picnic?

We have a speech from D. Raab to look forward to and the first of the no-deal Brexit papers to absorb...……...

A Brexit “no-deal” impact paper for financial services has been listed among the first batch of official assessments due to be published on Thursday, at a time when banks and insurers have been warning about the risks of a disorderly exit from the EU.

The paper was unexpectedly slated as one of about 20 “no-deal” papers to be published, covering subjects as diverse as nuclear research, farm payments and state aid. The government wants to spell out what action it will have to take should the UK crash out of the EU.

Downing Street had been hoping that the first batch of documents would generate relatively little controversy, which is why the presence of the banking paper on the publication list has surprised Whitehall sources.

UK Finance, the trade body for the finance sector, warned that a no-deal scenario needed to be addressed urgently “to avoid the risk of a serious breakdown in cross-border financial services in March 2019”. It is particularly concerned about continuity in contracts and the flow of data across the UK-EU border given a hard Brexit.

Ministers could yet pull the financial services paper from the documents published on Thursday, and Downing Street has so far refused to confirm which of the 84 no-deal assessments will be released in the first batch. The remainder will be released in September.

A health paper may also be released in the first wave, coming after NHS Providers, an NHS organisation, warned that hospitals could run short of drugs or even out of them in the event of a no-deal Brexit.

From Guardian on-line. My emphases.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
You will have to give us some clues as to what you do as being a sole-trader/limited company can mean many and varied things. Many people can call themselves a small businessman if they wanted to.

What a utterly bizarre post, even looking beyond your sneer it is quite something.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What a utterly bizarre post, even looking beyond your sneer it is quite something.

What’s bizarre about you stating you’re a small businessman, implying you know about business, and advising people to use our imagination as to your experience.......and me asking what you do. Seems a fairly straight forward and simple exchange to me. If there’s anything bizarre about it, it’s your line about using our imagination.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Absolutely the UK should be capable to implement anything required to operate as an independent country, if it's a tough job then so be it, that to me doesn't seem an immediate reason not to have voted leave, nor a reason to say we have been duped.

If we are currently running to near capacity in terms of our infrastructure, then it shouldn't be insurmountable to continue to do it after exiting, you have identified timing issues, well we will see but this isn't the priority for me nor should this effect the eventual withdrawal from happening.

As for trade you can find economists that feel it problematic and those that don't, likewise Remainers cannot see anything other than problems in just about anything whilst they look at Brexiteers as either eternal optimist (basically daft) or more likely just thick.

I think the UK will remain a strong and progressive trading nation outside of the EU and don't immediately see the disadvantage of being an independent trading nation as opposed to being in a wider bloc, why wouldn't a recipient country to the UK of trade of goods and services not quickly and decisively agree to a continuation of trade if it is mutually beneficial ?

Like the EU have you mean?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Plain and factual. Two things alien to Brexitsneers.

Quite. And [MENTION=5101]BigGully[/MENTION] offers nothing but vague wishy washy comments like “business will sort itself out” so I do wonder what his experience is. Be nice if he could explain why but he never ever does.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Quite. And [MENTION=5101]BigGully[/MENTION] offers nothing but vague wishy washy comments like “business will sort itself out” so I do wonder what his experience is. Be nice if he could explain why but he never ever does.

One thing we know is that it doesn’t involve him driving an HGV , so we are narrowing it down. I think he’s a Deliveroo rider.

I jest. Genuine guess? I’d say taxi driver. Clean license for over 50 years and talks non stop gobbledegook.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Really and when did it become necessary to trade overseas to be a self employed and running my own business ??

Is there an echo in here ? :lolol:

I was simply pointing out that he doesn't seem to think it's an issue for SMEs to know what the trading terms of their overseas customers will be :facepalm:

Out of interest, what do you think an SME should do with European customers' orders just now where the delivery timescale is beyond 7 months ?

I was having a chat with a mate a few days ago and guess what - he runs a company, has customers in Europe and his delivery timescales are just about to drop into this window in the next 6 weeks.

So do you have any advice I can pass on ?

Last edited:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
What’s bizarre about you stating you’re a small businessman, implying you know about business, and advising people to use our imagination as to your experience.......and me asking what you do. Seems a fairly straight forward and simple exchange to me. If there’s anything bizarre about it, it’s your line about using our imagination.

The 'imagination' was in relation to me generally trading successfully for 35+ years throughout most economic eras, double digit interest rates and inflation, recession, boom, financial crisis and property boom and crash whilst trying to stay solvent and profitable, it's challenging and you needn't be trading overseas for it not to be valid, the implication was how in comparison why couldn't the UK be able to succeed in solving it's own 'problems' in a post Brexit Britain.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here