Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 15 days left for Hartlepool United

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
By the sounds of it, there were some fairly questionable things going on under the previous regime (not the owners who are currently trying to sell the club).

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
The PL has to take a serious look at these sorts of cases and should have some sort of emergency fund.

It cannot be right when you pay a player more in one week than the 'value' of the existence of a club. You could argue the economics of the situation but is and should be more about economics, it is about passion and community. money has taken over the game it is about time that some of that filtered down to support our national game at grass roots level.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
The PL has to take a serious look at these sorts of cases and should have some sort of emergency fund.

It cannot be right when you pay a player more in one week than the 'value' of the existence of a club. You could argue the economics of the situation but is and should be more about economics, it is about passion and community. money has taken over the game it is about time that some of that filtered down to support our national game at grass roots level.

It is a good idea in theory, but the root of the causes of financial issues at a lot of clubs is poor management and decision making, and sometimes something a bit more shady than that. If a PL fund were to pay out the £200k to Hartlepool, that would only cover their bills as they are now. The same poor management structure would be in place, so it would be nothing more than a sticking plaster solution.

Something much more fundemental has to happen to ownership structure in their case, and probably many other clubs in a bad financial state. Sadly, there's no easy or straightforward answer.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Some of the apathy and ambivalence on this thread is quite awful at times.

The short term memories used by some on here are pitiful to read. Perhaps that's what happens to the mindset now theat we're in the Premier League; nothing else matters and sod the rest - an attitude I sorely hoped we wouldn't pick up once we made it to the top division. So much for wishful thinking.

Rewind two short decades and remember the parlous state Brighton & Hove Albion was in? We cried out for help and it came in the form of Fans United Day - one of the most important days in the history of the club. Hartlepool United duly laid down and had their tummies tickled, losing 5-0 on the day. And their fans were brilliant in playing their part.

Now their fans are asking for our help - and what do we reply with? "Get Jeff Stelling to put his money in." Unbelievable, Jeff.

True, we don't have an absolute obligation to help save Hartlepool United - though to say their fans have only chucked in £340 is bordering on outrageous libel. I sincerely hope Beachy was making an attempt at a dreadful joke. I do, however, feel there's a moral imperative here. They helped us at a time when we BADLY needed it, and no-one was listening. Is it too much to return the favour - however small?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
True, we don't have an absolute obligation to help save Hartlepool United - though to say their fans have only chucked in £340 is bordering on outrageous libel. I sincerely hope Beachy was making an attempt at a dreadful joke. I do, however, feel there's a moral imperative here. They helped us at a time when we BADLY needed it, and no-one was listening. Is it too much to return the favour - however small?

While I agree with the sentiment my personal view is a line has to be drawn somewhere. The club is obviously unsustainable at present and while it is £200k this month, there is nothing to suggest that will fix anything apart from keep them going for another month, when they'll presumably need more money? Or am I missing something and this £200k will see them through until the end of the season or something.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

The short term memories used by some on here are pitiful to read. Perhaps that's what happens to the mindset now theat we're in the Premier League; nothing else matters and sod the rest - an attitude I sorely hoped we wouldn't pick up once we made it to the top division. So much for wishful thinking.

Rewind two short decades and remember the parlous state Brighton & Hove Albion was in? We cried out for help and it came in the form of Fans United Day - one of the most important days in the history of the club. Hartlepool United duly laid down and had their tummies tickled, losing 5-0 on the day. And their fans were brilliant in playing their part.

Now their fans are asking for our help - and what do we reply with? "Get Jeff Stelling to put his money in." Unbelievable, Jeff.

Quite right.
Although it does not seem like a fans united thing at the moment, if it does come to that it would probably be one of the best, long way to go but with that small ground and the type of people they are in Hartlepools (funny and very accomodating, I have been there and met quite a few) it would be a good weekend out.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
While I agree with the sentiment my personal view is a line has to be drawn somewhere. The club is obviously unsustainable at present and while it is £200k this month, there is nothing to suggest that will fix anything apart from keep them going for another month, when they'll presumably need more money? Or am I missing something and this £200k will see them through until the end of the season or something.

Strictly speaking the Albion is currently unsustainable. A football fan props up the club. All Hartlepool need is a number of football fans to prop up the club. Unless of course you're suggesting your line in the sand should include the Albion as well ?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Strictly speaking the Albion is currently unsustainable. A football fan props up the club. All Hartlepool need is a number of football fans to prop up the club. Unless of course you're suggesting your line in the sand should include the Albion as well ?

Its unsustainable, but being sustained... My question still remains though, £200k gets them out of it immediately but then what? Or who is to say that £200k won't end up in an administrators pockets and disappear into asset stripping the club eventually anyway? There needs to be a short term plan to get out of this surely.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

If we hadn't been promoted last season, TB would be throwing in millions for another season. He probably is, this season.

If £200K keeps them going for a while, until someone can help out, then why not?

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field

Agreed. I will be going along to their home game next Saturday, which has been designated as 'Save our Pools' day. I am also talking to someone on their Supporters Trust at the moment about how we might be able to help, as he happens to live a couple of doors down from me.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Its unsustainable, but being sustained... My question still remains though, £200k gets them out of it immediately but then what? Or who is to say that £200k won't end up in an administrators pockets and disappear into asset stripping the club eventually anyway? There needs to be a short term plan to get out of this surely.

Afraid I have no interest in saving Hartlepool. They have Newcastle, Sunderland, Middlesbrough and Hull not too far away so let them do the decent thing. If Hartlepool bow out then there are plenty of well run clubs in the National League to replace them. Hartlepool fans can start again as did AFC Wimbledon and Rushden and Diamonds!

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Afraid I have no interest in saving Hartlepool. They have Newcastle, Sunderland, Middlesbrough and Hull not too far away so let them do the decent thing. If Hartlepool bow out then there are plenty of well run clubs in the National League to replace them. Hartlepool fans can start again as did AFC Wimbledon and Rushden and Diamonds!

I don't understand that the proximity of others clubs has to do with anything? People that support Hartlepool now are not going to suddenly convert into fans of other clubs is theirs goes bust. The town itself is massively committed to its club.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

But as others have said, what will be the change to stop this happening. Are the current owners inept or running the place into the ground to sell the ground fro profit. Are there alternative owners in the pipeline. Is it just a case of throwing good money after bad? It's sad if the club go under but it isn't the end of the world.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I don't understand that the proximity of others clubs has to do with anything? People that support Hartlepool now are not going to suddenly convert into fans of other clubs is theirs goes bust. The town itself is massively committed to its club.

Where did I say fans will support other clubs? I'm just pointing out that there are some big clubs in the area that could dip into their pockets to help their neighbour!

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
But as others have said, what will be the change to stop this happening. Are the current owners inept or running the place into the ground to sell the ground fro profit. Are there alternative owners in the pipeline. Is it just a case of throwing good money after bad? It's sad if the club go under but it isn't the end of the world.

The club doesn't own the ground, so there's no risk of asset stripping for profit. The owners are inept, rather than anything more malicious. They don't want to put any more money in. In terms of new owners, there are six potential investors who have expressed a serious interest. The club needs to find the money to keep going until one of those investors can take over.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Thank god a Plymouth fan didn't have the same attitude !!!!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

The business model under which football operates is dreadful - and there's nothing to say Hartlepool are operating any better or worse than other clubs.

The primary issue - should the FA wish to ever get its house in order - is it obligation to maintain football in England at all levels. ALL levels. At least Hartlepool would have a better fighting chance. To shrug and give up isn't good enough, and is only ever indicative of the FA's behaviour.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Can't believe some of the above replies . Can only think it's from those that started supporting us when we moved to the Amex .

Total disregarding a club with a decent history and strong loyal community .

worth remembering that Bha wouldn't be hear if everyone adopted some of these thoughts .

Hope they survive and will donate to help

Simontheseagull

Eye from the sky
Jul 11, 2010
The Amex

Quote from the Hartlepool Gazetteearlier this week: "The club had to cancel their usual luxury coach and overnight stay and get the train on the day for last weekend’s 4-2 defeat at Dagenham"

An overnight stay seems extravagant for a team in the National League.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here