Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What UEFA category is the AMEX?

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
It is being used in the 2015 rugby World Cup so it is more than a nice regional stadium.
Seriously, in context it is not world class. To suggest otherwise is just ridiculous. It's a lovely ground for a club of our size.
Do you also consider Leicester Citys ground to be world class? Or StadiumMK?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Seriously, in context it is not world class. To suggest otherwise is just ridiculous. It's a lovely ground for a club of our size.
Do you also consider Leicester Citys ground to be world class? Or StadiumMK?

Their stadiums are modern enough to facilitate international events so they are catering to world events, like the rugby WC. You obviously have your own ideals about the interpretation of World Class but you could define them by using World Class, Category 1, 2, or 3.

If the Amex could hold 70,000 and the WC came to England it would be on the short list of venues because capacities are the crucial factor.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Their stadiums are modern enough to facilitate international events so they are catering to world events, like the rugby WC. You obviously have your own ideals about the interpretation of World Class but you could define them by using World Class, Category 1, 2, or 3.

If the Amex could hold 70,000 and the WC came to England it would be on the short list of venues because capacities are the crucial factor.
Your definition is similar to suggesting any player participating in a World Cup could be deemed world class.

World Class in context of players suggests that the best clubs/nations would desire their services first and foremost. And as such a World class stadium is such that any nation would aspire to have. Bernabeu, Nou Camp, Old Trafford, Wembley, Allianz Arena, Marracana for example are world class stadiums.

The Amex is a stadium that suited the regional demands of a tournament being hosted in the UK, with desire for games to be played across the nation.

Like I say, lovely modern ground with some decent features (padded seats, nice media facilities) but in my definition way off world class. I'd imagine our academy is closer in that category.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I thought the Amex was good enough to host CL footy (at least if the albion ever got there) and as we know is good enough for England youngsters.

It would also be pencilled in as a WC venue tho if its regionalised itll be us, Soton and prob MK Mongs for the SE. Im sure London would be a region in itself thus Olympic Stadium, Wemberley, Emirates, Selhurst.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I thought the Amex was good enough to host CL footy (at least if the albion ever got there) and as we know is good enough for England youngsters.

It would also be pencilled in as a WC venue tho if its regionalised itll be us, Soton and prob MK Mongs for the SE. Im sure London would be a region in itself thus Olympic Stadium, Wemberley, Emirates, Selhurst.

I thought that one of the main requirements for hosting a World Cup match was a capacity in excess of 40 thousand which is why we couldn't ever host one without further (unlikely) expansion first.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
It is being used in the 2015 rugby World Cup so it is more than a nice regional stadium.

Sandy_Park_2499563b.jpg

I wouldn't read too much into where the World Cup is being held

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I'm certain I was told when buying my season ticket that the stadium could host Champions League fixtures

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003

World Cup Finals venues now need to be over 40,000 capacity.

For the European Championships they only need to have a capacity of 30,000.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here