Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Fish n chips

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I had a MASSIVE ruck over the SIZE of a LARGE battered SAUSAGE with the new owners of Sky High, got quite NASTY when he tried to SPRAY me with ONION vinegar

Don't understand how Sky High make money as they seem to only be open for business 4 hours a day.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
The Priory Fryer in Christchurch do a nice fish n chips, every Weds is gluten free day, which is great foe coeliacs.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Taking a moment to remember...
Before getting on the train.
Perching on the windowboard eating battered sausage while your mate agrees to "sore finger" on his chips.

<<Sniff>>

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Why would restaurants try and serve smaller portions of chips, it's a fish and chip shop just add 20p on the price if you have to, even worse are those that use a measuring carton first before then wrapping the chips in paper, always seemed to be Chinese owners that have done that, never go back.

I guess it depends where you operate. I've a mate that has a couple of chippies, the one that caters for just the local area charges a little more but serves huge portions, the toursity one was more price focussed, although he'd argue that now with TripAdvisor it's all about the stars so they all get "large"!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Bardsleys in Brighton and Wolfies (I think they even do Piglets pies) near Hove station get my vote.

Mmmm I much prefer a Piglet's pie to a Pukka steak and gristle one. Back to fish & chips though, and a special mention to my old pre match favourite of Fillets in Lewes Road.

Not a sit down restaurant by any means, (they only have two tables, so it's a lottery as to whether there will be spare seats when you arrive), but pretty much perfect for a take away. Always freshly cooked, and good value for money too. 25 bus stop just outside so incredibly handy for a fast getaway to the Amex on a match day.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am the opposite to you as I prefer a Fillets pie, think they are probably pukka Pies, to Piglets but what I have found is that if you have the box meal of 3 Fish Goujons they are very filling and with the chips I invariably cannot eat it all and throw away some chips. I may ask them to just cook me 2 Goujons then I would probably eat all of it.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I am the opposite to you as I prefer a Fillets pie, think they are probably pukka Pies, to Piglets but what I have found is that if you have the box meal of 3 Fish Goujons they are very filling and with the chips I invariably cannot eat it all and throw away some chips. I may ask them to just cook me 2 Goujons then I would probably eat all of it.

That's obviously where we differ, I'm very much a glutton! :thumbsup:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I use Goldies, Beach side, Shoreham. It is delicious, well cooked, fresh as a daisy and about a minute from my door.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Bardsleys Roy wanted to retire and son not interested in taking over. Have been there since and just as good but without Roys social skills

Yup, the end of an era. Been in the family decades.

Only been once since it changed hands and Roy was actually there showing the new bods what's what. Was of same quality as ever it was but service wasn't the same.

Just a heads-up that if going to Bardsleys it is better to book. They lost capacity when the landlord of the "extension" next door wanted to increase the rent by a ridiculous amount so the chippy moved out. Greedy landlord wasn't able to find a new tenant and the place has been empty for probably a couple of years now. Serves the greedy ******* right.

Wolfies in Hove highly commended (close to Hove station) but no accommodation for a proper sit down lunch / dinner.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Just eating this in Zizkov. Delete. Picture doesn't upload

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014

You can always order a Kids Meal there, two cod goujons, chips and a drink, £3.70

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Yup, the end of an era. Been in the family decades.

Only been once since it changed hands and Roy was actually there showing the new bods what's what. Was of same quality as ever it was but service wasn't the same.

Just a heads-up that if going to Bardsleys it is better to book. They lost capacity when the landlord of the "extension" next door wanted to increase the rent by a ridiculous amount so the chippy moved out. Greedy landlord wasn't able to find a new tenant and the place has been empty for probably a couple of years now. Serves the greedy ******* right.

Wolfies in Hove highly commended (close to Hove station) but no accommodation for a proper sit down lunch / dinner.

Have not found anywhere better in Brighton /Hove than Bankers in Western road Hove,last visit this week

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Satisfied the craving with cod and chips from Marino’s on Maple Drive. Very good it was too.

Ditto for me as well, Ropetackle Fish & Chips - yummy

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here