Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I think uncertainty will hit home for a lot of people.

For instance, when people start to book holidays abroad- and a lot are booked in October for next year, what will people face? Long queues in taking their car across the continent, will they be able to fly anywhere, will their driving licences and passports be valid?

To say it will be sorted -is a last minute jack approach for which if I operated like that in my job I would be sacked.

That is simply not how the world works. If an effort isn’t made to sort something, it doesn’t get sorted.
Yes, maybe they will have to refund all the air fares and maybe airlines will go bust. Maybe, maybe not. But in doing nothing, the government make these hitherto unlikely scenarios a real risk. Either way, uncertainty is not good for our country. And let’s face it, the Tory party hasn’t done much lately to inspire confidence in anything!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I'm not sure how the EU have ganged up, thwarted or bullied Britain by holding the consistent line that if you're leaving you can't cherry pick bits of our club and that we will also need a timescale for decisions.

Make no mistake, this total f*** up has been organised and carried out solely by the Britain, it's Government and the Leave voters. The EU, rather like a lot of remainers have simply been bemused bystanders throughout.

All that has happened in 2.5 years is that it has gradually dawned on a group of snake oil salesman and their naive followers that the fantasy world they were selling (and following) is not (and never was) possible. The reality has now set in and the blame game has started :shrug:

Your points on post Brexit are well made. But this research indicates that BEFORE Brexit kicked-off we did rather well.

The UK was on the winning side in 88% of votes between 2009 and 2015, compared with 97% of votes between 2004 and 2009, according to research by the London School of Economics.

D

Deleted member 22389

There is absolutely no way flights would be grounded. It simply won't happen. The whole Aviation / Tourism industry would be up in arms. Hundreds of millions of pounds would be lost, and that would fall on the shoulders of the EU to sort out.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
There is absolutely no way flights would be grounded. It simply won't happen. The whole Aviation / Tourism industry would be up in arms. Hundreds of millions of pounds would be lost, and that would fall on the shoulders of the EU to sort out.

Yes. Disturbing scenario isn’t it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Three was the only company offering 'Use as at home' until June last year. I doubt the phone companies will turn down a chance to charge more money.

And they have also demonstrated they’re quite happy to collude to benefit themselves at the expense of the customer. This was stopped as were the extortionate roaming charges. The very reason cell phone companies have these issues, and others, should tell you something; [MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] is very naive at times.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
And they have also demonstrated they’re quite happy to collude to benefit themselves at the expense of the customer. This was stopped as were the extortionate roaming charges. The very reason cell phone companies have these issues, and others, should tell you something; [MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] is very naive at times.

No, no. HT, calm down. All we have to do is sit back, chill and “the powers that be” will “sort it out”. Has the good job they are doing on Brexit not shown you that they can be relied upon to “sort it out”? Oh ye of little faith. Tsk.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Why is it our problem for you to arrange an agreement with us? There’s a whole wide world out there remember, plenty of opportunities beyond the EU, go and arrange a free-flying deal with India or Australia. The world is your oyster! :lolol:

Being serious, I’m sure you’ll sort something out but your post and worry does demonstrate the EU is in the box set with this particular issue...no flights is more an issue for you than us....

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No, no. HT, calm down. All we have to do is sit back, chill and “the powers that be” will “sort it out”. Has the good job they are doing on Brexit not shown you that they can be relied upon to “sort it out”? Oh ye of little faith. Tsk.

Quite.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Three was the only company offering 'Use as at home' until June last year. I doubt the phone companies will turn down a chance to charge more money.

And yet Vodafone have said they will continue not to charge roaming fees as well. The government have said they will legislate againt any company that decides to re-introduce the charges. HT just hates the possibilty of Brexit being a success.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And yet Vodafone have said they will continue not to charge roaming fees as well. The government have said they will legislate againt any company that decides to re-introduce the charges. HT just hates the possibilty of Brexit being a success.

Oh, Vodafone have said they will not charge anyone extra and the government will legislate. That’s alright then, I trust them both . What was it I said about naive?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003

I seem to remember that your definition of a successful Brexit was agreeing a trade deal but without staying in the single market, a customs union or under any jurisdiction of the ECJ.

So how successful do you think the 2 current options are ?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Yep, 100% on the EU to sort flights from the UK to USA.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yep, 100% on the EU to sort flights from the UK to USA.

As an aside, I notice EasyJet are slowly and quietly moving to the EU. They’re actually announcing the flights they have moved to the new company as EasyJet Europe operated, and the planes are now being painted with the Austrian and EU flags. They’re also in the midst of a program to have the majority of their shares as EU owned. All of my Berlin Gatwick flights are now with the new operator.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
As an aside, I notice EasyJet are slowly and quietly moving to the EU. They’re actually announcing the flights they have moved to the new company as EasyJet Europe operated, and the planes are now being painted with the Austrian and EU flags. They’re also in the midst of a program to have the majority of their shares as EU owned. All of my Berlin Gatwick flights are now with the new operator.

BA have got a nice little side business as well, which is great for flights - not so great for the tax they pay into the UK

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I mentioned this example last week or the week before and was told off by [MENTION=14132]Two Professors[/MENTION] because it was yesterday's news.

Apparently it doesn't count as worth mentioning if company's get the ball rolling to quietly leave the UK starting a few months ago.

Pretty Plnk Fairy

NSC Patreon
Jan 30, 2008
you Rodneys are just scared because a man of the poeple with his working class flat cap is coming to town

whats that coming over the hill yes its the Moggster yes its the Moggster

Rees Mogg.JPG

we one you lost get over it

Regards
DR

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I mentioned this example last week or the week before and was told off by [MENTION=14132]Two Professors[/MENTION] because it was yesterday's news.

Apparently it doesn't count as worth mentioning if company's get the ball rolling to quietly leave the UK starting a few months ago.

It’s yesterday’s in the sense they started this some time ago. But it’s todays news in the sense it’s becoming quite visible now. I had not noticed the new flags until recently and certainly not heard them announce a flight as Easyjet Europe before.

As an aside, EU flights have to inform the customer who operates their flight. I have been received emails as and when my flights are moved over to the new company.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here