Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Yesterday I had fish and chips...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Would’ve been but didn’t bother in the end

I must give them another try as I like Skate and they are one of the very few shops that sell it.. Brother in law a fisherman keeps tellng me that there is very little skate if any sold in England as it is all Wray but I and millions others know it as Skate

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
After reading this thread yesterday, I was informed we were going to the local Beefeater in Burgess Hill (wouldn't have been my choice but I was stuck in traffic and decisions were made etc) for dinner, so I ordered to 'freshly hand battered haddock, chunky chips and garden peas' or however the menu describes this total ABOMINATION of what should be the food of kings. Thin and overcooked piece of fish, too little batter and, looked like it had been cooked in dirty oil. Chips were just OK but were obviously frozen, and portion was very small. If I hadn't been as tired as I was I would have sent it back but simply couldn't be arsed. Going to have to go to the chippy tonight now to satisfy the craving. If I have the misfortune of eating there again, I won't be having that poor excuse for a meal. Rest of the meals on the table were OK to be fair.

The chains churn out poor to OK at best food, most of it Brake Bros type bought in crap. But they're convenient and can be cheap.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I must give them another try as I like Skate and they are one of the very few shops that sell it.. Brother in law a fisherman keeps tellng me that there is very little skate if any sold in England as it is all Wray but I and millions others know it as Skate

There are various fish that are sold as ‘skate’. Vast majority are thornback rays I think, but you might be eating smalleyed ray, blonde ray or other variations. I think your brother in law is right - the commercial catching of the ‘common’ skate is either banned or very limited as it isn’t actually very common any more (was too easy to catch and almost wiped out). Unless you eat loads it’d be pretty difficult to tell the difference between ray and skate.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Slightly OT but has anybody bought and tried anything from COOK Frozen Food shop in Haywards Heath as they di an Indian for 2 for £12 but not sure what it is like although the description sounds good.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
After reading this thread yesterday, I was informed we were going to the local Beefeater in Burgess Hill (wouldn't have been my choice but I was stuck in traffic and decisions were made etc) for dinner, so I ordered to 'freshly hand battered haddock, chunky chips and garden peas' or however the menu describes this total ABOMINATION of what should be the food of kings. Thin and overcooked piece of fish, too little batter and, looked like it had been cooked in dirty oil. Chips were just OK but were obviously frozen, and portion was very small. If I hadn't been as tired as I was I would have sent it back but simply couldn't be arsed. Going to have to go to the chippy tonight now to satisfy the craving. If I have the misfortune of eating there again, I won't be having that poor excuse for a meal. Rest of the meals on the table were OK to be fair.

When you say "beefeater" I assume you mean the Acorn?

FWIW I don't think any chippys in BUG are any good. I moved to BUG 6 years ago from Bton, tried them all in the first few months and I think all are crap.

Fishers was my nearest then, but they had just moved to frylight so the chips were crap. The one at world's end had been fried to oblivion, marinos were swimming in oil and jupps tasted of old oil.

Spent 4 years in hassocks since and the chippy down there is EPIC. Proper restaurant quality fish and the chips are double fried so soft inside and crispy outside. The batter is also thin but fluffy with the perfect taste and crunch to it without being too thick.

I've moved back to BUG 6 months ago and I REALLY miss that chippy. I'm craving it now but I'm not sure if they'll survive the drive and still be hot when I get them back.

It really is worth the drive down there. Trust me.

Which reminds me I must update my location in my profile.....

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
There are various fish that are sold as ‘skate’. Vast majority are thornback rays I think, but you might be eating smalleyed ray, blonde ray or other variations. I think your brother in law is right - the commercial catching of the ‘common’ skate is either banned or very limited as it isn’t actually very common any more (was too easy to catch and almost wiped out). Unless you eat loads it’d be pretty difficult to tell the difference between ray and skate.

I find myself in a real predicament as I love a bit of skate with a few capers but know that due to overfishing it is not currently sustainable :(

But i guess it could be worse, at least I'm not a pompey fisherman :lolol:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Slightly OT but has anybody bought and tried anything from COOK Frozen Food shop in Haywards Heath as they di an Indian for 2 for £12 but not sure what it is like although the description sounds good.

Yes. I have got food from the HH branch and Brighton. It's good food, especially their Indian dishes. I enjoyed it and I not a fan of "ready meals" but their food is far from normal "TV dinners".

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I'm having a beef and onion pie with a few chips tonight from the local chippy.

Hopefully it gets my strength up after having a chest infection. Feel a bit better.

My Mrs had a chest invasion last night.

OH.................infection......................never mind.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I must give it a try.

It’s a tad overpriced but if you’re looking for a good ready meal you can’t really do better. Quality ingredients. More of a payday treat than an everyday meal. Enjoy!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It’s a tad overpriced but if you’re looking for a good ready meal you can’t really do better. Quality ingredients. More of a payday treat than an everyday meal. Enjoy!

Due to the costs and pension etc our Curry now is either a home made one or supermarket meal for 2. So thought that COOK might be an upgrade on the ones available in either Tesco, Asda or even Sainsburys. I am hoping to see a neighbour whose curries smell gorgeous when she or her mother makes them and ask her for the recipe.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
When you say "beefeater" I assume you mean the Acorn?

FWIW I don't think any chippys in BUG are any good. I moved to BUG 6 years ago from Bton, tried them all in the first few months and I think all are crap.

Fishers was my nearest then, but they had just moved to frylight so the chips were crap. The one at world's end had been fried to oblivion, marinos were swimming in oil and jupps tasted of old oil.

Spent 4 years in hassocks since and the chippy down there is EPIC. Proper restaurant quality fish and the chips are double fried so soft inside and crispy outside. The batter is also thin but fluffy with the perfect taste and crunch to it without being too thick.

I've moved back to BUG 6 months ago and I REALLY miss that chippy. I'm craving it now but I'm not sure if they'll survive the drive and still be hot when I get them back.

It really is worth the drive down there. Trust me.

Which reminds me I must update my location in my profile.....
Thanks, will give it a go [emoji106]

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Our latest favourite is Mr Chippy on The Broadway Haywards Heath. 1x Lge Cod and 1 small Cod and Large Chips £12 ish. which is ample for wife and I and is well cooked but you usually have to wait while they cook the fish.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove

I've been forced to go there a few times, too (other half's family)
The meat is ok but there's something thoroughly depressing about the whole experience. Chips, as you say, clearly cooked from frozen. And not cheap either.
Get yourself to Tim Lee (Codfather, now?) instead.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here