Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton U23 v Manchester City U23 Broadfield Stadium 19.00 Tonight

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Very impressed with the way the under 23s are coming along, that was a hell of a result, feel much more confident that some might make the break through to the first team before too long. :thumbsup:

They seem to be on fire, even having gone up a division.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Worth noting also that this result came without White, Moore, Cox, Saunders or Molumby, all of whom quite feasibly would have started. We have some serious depth at this level, I'm actually surprised a few more of the lads didn't go out on loan. We have the likes of Mandroiu who is a very good attacking midfielder, getting splinters on the bench. And we have seen nothing yet of the new additions Ostigaard and Gwargis (international clearance?)

I remember reading somewhere that Peterborough refuse to take our kids on loan because we ask for too much of a loan fee. Could this be a reason?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Worth noting also that this result came without White, Moore, Cox, Saunders or Molumby, all of whom quite feasibly would have started. We have some serious depth at this level, I'm actually surprised a few more of the lads didn't go out on loan. We have the likes of Mandroiu who is a very good attacking midfielder, getting splinters on the bench. And we have seen nothing yet of the new additions Ostigaard and Gwargis (international clearance?)

I remember reading somewhere that Peterborough refuse to take our kids on loan because we ask for too much of a loan fee. Could this be a reason?

Doubt it, Peterborough are notorious tightwads.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

Doubt it. How comes smaller clubs the likes of Newport,Wrexham,Daggerham,Forest Green etc can afford the loan fees but Posh can't?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Is there anyone on here with proper knowledge of how significant team results are in this U23 division?

Does it mean anything?

My inside source always used to tell me that the big clubs do not focus on results below first team level. They often play younger players and prioritise the individual development of these players over team results.

This approach sounds very logical to me. I just have a slight concern that as fans we could get sucked in a bit about the significance of Albion's U23 performances and results...

Any comments?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

It means something to me , i'm not sure that's a statistically viable comment but i love going to watch our development squads when i can , one thing that's obvious is that Gyokeres is far too strong for the U23 squad and will imo break into the first team this season , for all their trickery and tippy tip the Man City players were brushed aside by his strength and pace , if results didn't mean anything we would still be in division 3 but looking great .

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Without being a spoiltsport, it’s worth pointing out that it was a very young City team. They didn’t have a single player over the age of 19 playing. It’s an excellent result but the likes of Gyokeres and Barclay are; from a physical standpoint at least, going to blow a bunch of 17 & 18 year olds out of the water.

Not taking anything away from a fantastic result and performance, but trying to put it in to perspective so people don’t think we suddenly have an U-23 team full of world beaters.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
It means something to me , i'm not sure that's a statistically viable comment but i love going to watch our development squads when i can , one thing that's obvious is that Gyokeres is far too strong for the U23 squad and will imo break into the first team this season , for all their trickery and tippy tip the Man City players were brushed aside by his strength and pace , if results didn't mean anything we would still be in division 3 but looking great .

Just did a quick Google to see how old Gyokeres is and found out his name translates as 'radical.' Which is nice.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Without being a spoiltsport, it’s worth pointing out that it was a very young City team. They didn’t have a single player over the age of 19 playing. It’s an excellent result but the likes of Gyokeres and Barclay are; from a physical standpoint at least, going to blow a bunch of 17 & 18 year olds out of the water.

Not taking anything away from a fantastic result and performance, but trying to put it in to perspective so people don’t think we suddenly have an U-23 team full of world beaters.

What drivel. They were top when we played them. They must of had something about them.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
What drivel. They were top when we played them. They must of had something about them.

They'd made 6 (I think) changes from the team that played a Checkatrade game on the Tuesday. Whitechapel is right; they had a young side out against us.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Any highlights anywhere?

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
You can only play what's in front of you , it was a excellent display of in the main quick incisive counter attacking football and blew Man City out of the water , looking at the team that played last night we didn't have a team full of old timers either ,special mention to 16 year old Haydon Roberts who scored on his full debut , well done young man .

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
They'd made 6 (I think) changes from the team that played a Checkatrade game on the Tuesday. Whitechapel is right; they had a young side out against us.

Must have thought, it’s only Brighton we’ll not need a full strength team :smile:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
The original point was 'break into the first team'.

Does anyone seriously think the albion play their first team in checkatrade trophy matches ? ???

In fact, don't the rules actually prevent the albion playing a first team due to age restrictions ?

The way I see it, perhaps wrongly, is that a match is either senior or it isn't. The governing body determine it to be a senior match. That's clearly stated in the link I gave and used as a reason to prevent a player playing for 3 clubs in one season - as playing in a Premier League 2 match wouldn't have such an implication.

I haven't been to all of the Checkatrade games, but when I have I'm sure the programme has always said B&HA not B&HA U21. I believe that is because technically B&HA U21 do not exist as a separate entity. B&HA are playing in a senior match but play under rules that limit the number of players over 21 who can compete.

So in my mind, technically these players have played a senior match and made their senior debut. I appreciate I am being very black and white about it and it's not in the spirit of a senior debut. I've also said 2 or 3 times now that I don't like it, and I don't really want to argue for it. Given the number of times I've posted now it probably sounds like I do but your reply read like I was an imbecile so I felt I had to. It's just something I thought was interesting and wanted to share.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel

Ok Spence.

Why don’t you leave the football talk to the grown-ups and go back to your weird attempt to prove how cool you are by constantly mentioning how you know other NSC users by their real name you freakazoid? :yawn:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here