Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The striker situation

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Should anything happen to Glenn and also allowing for the fact that's he's 34, we are left with the unproven Locadia (and a different type of forward) and the seemingly far from full fitness and also unproven Andone. Surely there is no way we can allow Hemed to leave on loan and presumably one more striker is top priority for 1st January? Really difficult for the club to judge and keep everyone happy but a couple of injuries and we are suddenly very short.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Yes, Hemed cannot go now until January.

Also we are now at bare bones levels in central defence until January. Any HGP free agents available ?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Should anything happen to Glenn and also allowing for the fact that's he's 34, we are left with the unproven Locadia (and a different type of forward) and the seemingly far from full fitness and also unproven Andone. Surely there is no way we can allow Hemed to leave on loan and presumably one more striker is top priority for 1st January? Really difficult for the club to judge and keep everyone happy but a couple of injuries and we are suddenly very short.

Thank goodness someone noticed.....hope CH is reading this. Can we email him ? [emoji23][emoji23]

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Yes, Hemed cannot go now until January.

Also we are now at bare bones levels in central defence until January. Any HGP free agents available ?

With Dunk hopefully back after the international break I think I'd be happy to go with Ben White as the 4th choice for the moment but again a bit of a gamble.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
If Murray is injured we have Locadia and Hemed. Although Locadia is a bit of an unknown and I'm not sure if CH trusts him yet, I'd be completely happy if Hemed had to play the Murray role.

We also have Gyorkes in the stiffs, who I'm told is highly rated. I don't think we need to be panicking about something that hasn't happened yet.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
If Murray is injured we have Locadia and Hemed. Although Locadia is a bit of an unknown and I'm not sure if CH trusts him yet, I'd be completely happy if Hemed had to play the Murray role.

We also have Gyorkes in the stiffs, who I'm told is highly rated. I don't think we need to be panicking about something that hasn't happened yet.

And, when fit, Florin Andone.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
With Dunk hopefully back after the international break I think I'd be happy to go with Ben White as the 4th choice for the moment but again a bit of a gamble.
"Weeks, not months". We may not see him until after the 2nd international break.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Far be it for me to have the temerity to question Sir Chris, after that magnificent win on Sunday, but.... it seemed to me (from before the game, not ONLY in hindsight), that Tomer Hemed's absence on the bench was an error of judgment.

Glenn Murray was utterly magnificent in that game - an absolute masterclass in the lone striker role. But, with 15 minutes to go he looked exhausted, and as a result we were less able to keep the ball in their half. It was very clear that fresh legs were needed, but because the only available options were Locadia - who plays in a different style, or an out of position Bissouma - it was completely understandable that CH felt that leaving an exhausted Murray on was less risky than changing anything.

All perfectly understandable if those really were the only possible alternatives, but when you had a perfectly decent back-up striker, of exactly the same style as Murray, sat watching in the stands, and then training on his own in Hove Park later that evening, it seems absolutely baffling.

I just don't get it. Our style is built around Murray's role. We have two players who can play it, and we don't use one of them :shrug:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Not for us - or any other PL team - I believe.
And yet there have been numerous articles in the press linking free agents with PL teams before Aug 31st.

1 rogue article in the mirror disagrees ( including with other mirror articles ), and yet it seems to get almost mythical belief. ???

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Let's see how the unproven, unknown and unfit Locadia and Andone actually perform between now and January before panicking.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
"Weeks, not months". We may not see him until after the 2nd international break.

Not impossible certainly. I would suggest that in the situation we are in, having White who is familiar our style of play is probably our best (and indeed our only) bet. Shame we couldn't quite get that 4th CB (who is ready to play) signing over the line.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
And yet there have been numerous articles in the press linking free agents with PL teams before Aug 31st.

1 rogue article in the mirror disagrees ( including with other mirror articled ), and yet it seems to get almost mythical belief. ???
True - but I'm going with The Mirror article though, unless or until a PL club actually signs (and plays) a free agent between now and January.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here