Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] F1 nonsense

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I like that idea. It is certainly FAR less crackpot than their own laughable attempt to make it all more exciting by offering double points on the last grand prix. Unbelievable that they actually implemented idea. Christ on a bike.

I think they nicked it off the TV show "Dara O'Briain's Go 8 Bit" on Dave.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think we have nostalgic memories about motor racing and F1 in particular. It's been hard to overtake since the 70s in all honestly, from the moment the Lotus 72 leaped from Chapman's drawing board to the track, aerodynamics became the raison d'etre of F1 car design.
I agree about nostalgia, but I don't think it used to be so hard to overtake. Now it seems just driving within 3 seconds of the car in front can have a significant negative effect on your lap times and tires.

I honestly think it has been a lot more boring in the past than it is today.
I also agree it's not current in its worst state, although I do think it was better back in the 80s and 90s.
These battles between 2 x 4 time winners in different teams is a great spectacle, Hamilton's overtake on Vettel every bit as dramatic as Senna on Prost some 30 years ago.
Yeah I agree with that, we're lucky to have a couple of great drivers in decent competing cars, but my point is about the sport itself and the lack of overtaking opportunities.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yeah I agree with that, we're lucky to have a couple of great drivers in decent competing cars, but my point is about the sport itself and the lack of overtaking opportunities.

The actual statistics on overtaking are really interesting, like I said, the is a memory of more overtaking that is probably less real that what actually happened. Not hard to spot the introduction of DRS.

http://cliptheapex.com/overtaking/

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The actual statistics on overtaking are really interesting, like I said, the is a memory of more overtaking that is probably less real that what actually happened. Not hard to spot the introduction of DRS.

http://cliptheapex.com/overtaking/
Do those overtakes include lapping other cars?

They'll also include grid penalties - a contender being placed at the back of the grid, and overtaking everyone.
There's also the fact that we now have pit-stops, so someone challenging to win the race will pit, get nice new tyres, and then overtake someone who was further back, going slower on old tyres.

So it doesn't show a comparison of real competitive overtakes.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Do those overtakes include lapping other cars?

They'll also include grid penalties - a contender being placed at the back of the grid, and overtaking everyone.
There's also the fact that we now have pit-stops, so someone challenging to win the race will pit, get nice new tyres, and then overtake someone who was further back, going slower on old tyres.

So it doesn't show a comparison of real competitive overtakes.

I'm sure there are variables, I think drivers have always pitted haven't they? Didn't Fangio famously win at the Nurburgring in '57 after a long pit stop.

Methodology for the statistics:
The overtaking figures for each race (across all data sets) do not include:
Position changes on the first lap of the race
Position changes due to drivers lapping backmarkers
Positions gained in the pits
Positions gained due to drivers yielding
Positions gained when a car has a serious technical problem; e.g. puncture, accident damage, etc.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
don't really understand this obsession with overtaking

tintop & 2 wheels have far more overtakes,but they are for the most part insignificant due to their frequency

so therefore less exiciting

whereas in F1,it can be the difference between winning and losing or potentially suffering a DNF

therefore overtakes become far more important in F1,there might be less,but definantly more edge of your seat stuff when they happen

Formula 1 boring ???:lolol::lolol:

went to Imola last year,one of those BOSS series was on

a 20 year old Benetton went screaming past me and it made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
don't really understand this obsession with overtaking

tintop & 2 wheels have far more overtakes,but they are for the most part insignificant due to their frequency

so therefore less exiciting

whereas in F1,it can be the difference between winning and losing or potentially suffering a DNF

therefore overtakes become far more important in F1,there might be less,but definantly more edge of your seat stuff when they happen

Formula 1 boring ???[emoji38]ol:[emoji38]ol:

went to Imola last year,one of those BOSS series was on

a 20 year old Benetton went screaming past me and it made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up
The same people complain about there being too many points in basketball and the one football goal is more exciting...

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here