Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Manchester City vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Well that's better than Stat's insinuation that we're all racist then.

I have never thought we've had racist fans but we do have some really miserable moaning fans. It's usually March and Bong, but seems to be Locadia, March and Bong now.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
I have never thought we've had racist fans but we do have some really miserable moaning fans. It's usually March and Bong, but seems to be Locadia, March and Bong now.

Of course we haven't got racist fans, and to be frank, I find stat bor's insinuation insulting.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Unless you make it a closed shop you'd effectively just create another Premier League. And who would you put in it? Leicester have won the league more recently than Spurs or Arsenal and I can remember, pre oil money, when Man City were a League One team. Plus ALL the television money would follow the breakaway. I agree, it would be far more competitive to watch but so would us dropping down in to the Championship.

The financial long term plan and the facilitties that we've created at the Albion are for the Premier League and nothing else, but I have made a few "careful what you wish for" posts in the past and so have a lot of others. The long term will mostly consist of a relegation fight and trying to pick off the teams around us whilst just surviving and having to savour the odd away win. That's our realistic world, footballing wise and financially. The exception is, of course, contained in my first paragraph where Leicester won the whole thing and that's not just me saying it, at the time Telegraph sports writer Paul Hayward said exactly that if Leicester could do it, so could we. But realistically it will take an almost unrepeatable set of circumstances where all of the big teams find themselves in transition and inconsistent, while we pick up a few miracle bargains like Mahrez. Who, of course, hasn't stayed with little Leicester, opting to be a sub for City and getting around twenty minutes football yesterday.

It is just getting so predictable and boring to be honest.
When most of us started supporting, it was a different game, but today it is not worth tuning in for games against top teams as the result is already known.
On Saturday afternoon I watched the AFL Premiers final between West Coast Eagles and Collingwood, their commitment and desire to win was great and the game was very entertaining.
Then I stayed up till the wee hours to watch a game where the result was already set in stone, from now on I will be going to bed for games against the top 6 and watching the replays the next day, much healthier for me and will already have a fair idea of the result.
Especially for away games.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
I can confirm Bong was as bad defensively yesterday as he has been since Everton away last season.
Yesterdays second goal was all down to him. If he had just stayed with Aguiero rather than just falling down SG would not have had a free shot.
Bernardo started off well at Watford at left back and did not deserve to be dropped.
Nearest Bong got to Sterling was when he shook his hand in the line up.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I can confirm Bong was as bad defensively yesterday as he has been since Everton away last season.
Yesterdays second goal was all down to him. If he had just stayed with Aguiero rather than just falling down SG would not have had a free shot.
Bernardo started off well at Watford at left back and did not deserve to be dropped.

I've only watched MOTD and the highlights, but I think your opinion is exaggerated. Btw it's Aguero.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well that's better than Stat's insinuation that we're all racist then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not all, just the racists.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands

Agree about Bernado - Think it was harsh to drop him when playing most of he Watford game out of position.
Disagree about Bong yesterday - he slipped which can happen to anyone - Would have been nice if Propper had done more than dangle a leg to try and stop him.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why is Bong's perceived inability to get forward and poor crossing an issue, anyone would think the club hadn't shelled out well over £40m on wingers.

Why doesn't anyone mention Bruno not being great in the air at defensive set pieces.
I can think of actual specific points he cost us, last season, starting with Everton.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Why is Bong's perceived inability to get forward and poor crossing an issue, anyone would think the club hadn't shelled out well over £40m on wingers.

Why doesn't anyone mention Bruno not being great in the air at defensive set pieces.
I can think of actual specific points he cost us, last season, starting with Everton.

Because crossing is not just down to the wingers.
Bruno is rubbish in he air at set pieces but is a far better crosser than Bong (I think he may have actually got the assist for our goal in the game vs Everton you mentioned).
We have also replaced Bruno so obviously the focus is not on him at the moment.

For the record I really like Bong and think he played well yesterday. Just pointing out there ARE reasons people may criticise him that are nothing to do with racism.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Because crossing is not just down to the wingers.
Bruno is rubbish in he air at set pieces but is a far better crosser than Bong (I think he may have actually got the assist for our goal in the game vs Everton you mentioned).
We have also replaced Bruno so obviously the focus is not on him at the moment.

For the record I really like Bong and think he played well yesterday. Just pointing out there ARE reasons people may criticise him that are nothing to do with racism.

and I'm pointing out those issues, at the moment, don't seem to hold much water, begging the question 'what other reason is their to be so consistently anti Bong?

The moment someone comes up with one I'm all in, I just can't think of one.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
and I'm pointing out those issues, at the moment, don't seem to hold much water, begging the question 'what other reason is their to be so consistently anti Bong?

The moment someone comes up with one I'm all in, I just can't think of one.

Why do they not hold water?
Lack of pace, poor crossing and poor at defending set pieces are all issues.
The only argument you've given against these being issues is that another player (who cannot get into the team) also has ONE of these weaknesses.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why do they not hold water?
Lack of pace, poor crossing and poor at defending set pieces are all issues.
The only argument you've given against these being issues is that another player (who cannot get into the team) also has ONE of these weaknesses.

The argument against those, from me, is that they don't match with what I see.
For example a full back with a lack of pace, in the Premier League would get owned every week even by the average wingers, let along the likes of Augero.

Maybe the difference between some posters calling Bong MotM while others blame him for everything, is as simple as location, location, location.
Perhaps it's just a high or low, side on or head on thing.

I'll be watching Gataen intently on Friday, hopefully drowning out the noise around me and trying to be as dispassionate as possible.

Naturally this will be a time I hope to be proven correct, as it'll mean he had a good he game, but if it turns out I've been blind to his many flaws, I will naturally piped down.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
The argument against those, from me, is that they don't match with what I see.
For example a full back with a lack of pace, in the Premier League would get owned every week even by the average wingers, let along the likes of Augero.

Maybe the difference between some posters calling Bong MotM while others blame him for everything, is as simple as location, location, location.
Perhaps it's just a high or low, side on or head on thing.

I'll be watching Gataen intently on Friday, hopefully drowning out the noise around me and trying to be as dispassionate as possible.

Naturally this will be a time I hope to be proven correct, as it'll mean he had a good he game, but if it turns out I've been blind to his many flaws, I will naturally piped down.

He is a good player and think he played well on Saturday but he definitely has his flaws and I think these flaws are why some people don't rate him - don't think its anything to do with racism.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It is just getting so predictable and boring to be honest.
When most of us started supporting, it was a different game, but today it is not worth tuning in for games against top teams as the result is already known.
On Saturday afternoon I watched the AFL Premiers final between West Coast Eagles and Collingwood, their commitment and desire to win was great and the game was very entertaining.
Then I stayed up till the wee hours to watch a game where the result was already set in stone, from now on I will be going to bed for games against the top 6 and watching the replays the next day, much healthier for me and will already have a fair idea of the result.
Especially for away games.

I don't disagree, I just think shoving the "big clubs" in to another league would kill it off once and for all for the rest of us.

I lived in Sydney for a year when we were shit so I had to stay up for dodgy internet and radio coverage. If we'd been out I didn't bother. I certainly wouldn't have stayed up for an away to a top six side either.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I think you’re missing the point (and I think you know that). I’m not making excuses for him, I’m pointing out it is entirely unreasonable to judge a striker who has started four games in the last eight months when two of them were at the Etihad and Anfield and two were on the left wing.

Agree with this. He came in last year and scored a couple of goals in cup games and was promptly dropped. He is lacking in confidence and I don't think he is playing in a system that suits him. That's not his fault. Some players will adapt to a system, others won't. Murray is Murray and plays the same way but that happens to work in our system. CMS was an example of where it didn't work anywhere near as well as it was hoped. My gut feeling though for Locadia is the his chance has come and gone.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here