Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Just how (food) greedy have you ever been...?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
[MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] would have thrown me out of the window.

In my defence a) I only intended to have one to try :lol: and b) this is not quite yer overstuffed Southern rush hour tin box. A ten car Virgin train which is normally half empty after Coventry. There can't have been anyone within three rows of me.

Without opening it first.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
My worst food memory is going to a delicious carvery somewhere up towards Steyning. Drove up there with friends from work for lunch. As it was all you could eat, I felt the usual urge to maximise value by stuffing my face. When I got up at the end, I realised that I had food stacked all the way from my stomach to my tonsils and any slight movement threatened to bring it all up. How I got back to work without decorating the inside of my friend's car I will never know. Never felt that before or since. But it was great value for money. :)

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
The only time I've regretted having too much of something was in a Greek Restaurant. I love Greek food and usually go for a Mezze to experience a wide variety of Greek dishes. However in this particular Greek Restaurant which I had never been to before or since they had on offer a "Meat platter" which basically comprised of a plate of a variety of meats, pork, lamb, chicken, beef etc. For some reason the idea of eating as much meat as I could really appealed to me at the time. The reality didn't live up to the expectation and it was a real chore to get through because it was basically just meat with no accompaniment. As I struggled through it I looked on enviously as my wife ate her way through her more wisely chosen fare.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
There's a great Indian restaurant in Burton (next to Coopers). I go there when I'm in town.
Truth is a simple main dish and rice is more than enough but I always order some poppadoms and plus side dishes of matar paneer and a naan bread. Along with the pint I struggle to move on the the next pub.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
The only time I've regretted having too much of something was in a Greek Restaurant. I love Greek food and usually go for a Mezze to experience a wide variety of Greek dishes. However in this particular Greek Restaurant which I had never been to before or since they had on offer a "Meat platter" which basically comprised of a plate of a variety of meats, pork, lamb, chicken, beef etc. For some reason the idea of eating as much meat as I could really appealed to me at the time. The reality didn't live up to the expectation and it was a real chore to get through because it was basically just meat with no accompaniment. As I struggled through it I looked on enviously as my wife ate her way through her more wisely chosen fare.

You have reminded me of when I took the then gf to a romantic meal at the Greek restaurant that used to be in North Street quadrant.
There was an England game on that I'd forgotten about and no one was out. Placing my trust in the set menu mezze which I knew to be quite substantive from prior experience proven exceptional value.
The owner/chef sent out a large portion of everything on the menu, there were two fish courses - neither of which appeared on the menu, and there was no way of knowing when it would end.
Finally there was a substantive lull in proceedings during which I valiantly polished off the remaining moussaka, a lamb cutlet and some other bits and pieces. I was absolutely bursting. The lady looked at me with wonder, awe and a soupcon of loathing as I basked in my victory over Hellenic mass catering.
The kitchen doors swung open, a beaming fat Greek chef looked approvingly at the destruction I had wrought before setting down a heavy dish removing the lid and announcing "Speciality of the house... Kleftiko!".
Feeling a closer bond to my tormentor than the then missus I valiantly got through about a half pound of it. It was delicious. I was loath to give up on the remainder but could barely swallow water

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
My worst food memory is going to a delicious carvery somewhere up towards Steyning. Drove up there with friends from work for lunch. As it was all you could eat, I felt the usual urge to maximise value by stuffing my face. When I got up at the end, I realised that I had food stacked all the way from my stomach to my tonsils and any slight movement threatened to bring it all up. How I got back to work without decorating the inside of my friend's car I will never know. Never felt that before or since. But it was great value for money. :)

That sounds like The Tollgate carvery. Had a similar Mr Creosote moment there myself recently.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
That's right! That was the name. Although I think it became a corporate place at some point after I left Blighty, didn't it? Is it still any good?

Well I'm an expat myself so for someone hankering for a British all-you-can eat Sunday roast I thought it was bloody amazing. But my perspective might be a little skewed.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Went for a chinky once about 8pm ish, that one on Preston street,followed it up with a large doner from Sphinx about midnight, did some clubbing and rallied with a full gutbuster at you know where.Quite a few pints involved as well......prob a bit greedy

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
At home or in nice restaurants I tend to eat sensible amounts of good tasting food. But on the odd occasion I find myself in say, McDonalds or greasy spoon I just go mad. A typical meal at McDonald’s for me would easily be
2 Fillet o Fish
6 nuggets
Big Mac
Some other side “dish”
Fries
Milkshake

And when in a cafe I’ll always take the biggest option.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

For some reason I read all that in an Alan Partrdige voice.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I don't actually trust myself to go on all-inclusive holidays anymore. Used to end up putting on about a stone in a week. Just WAY too much temptation.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
A ruined a girlfriend's birthday by living up to an internal promise to never be beaten by the size of a pizza. I'd ordered garlic bread for starters, which was the size of a large pizza. Down that went, followed by a large quatro formaggio. I was slighter in those days I suppose, and battled through the dough and cheese until I began to feel not perfectly right perhaps an hour later after a couple of pints of lager. It was about 7pm, and those who came to celebrate remained in the pub whilst the girlfriend of then, and I, taxied our way home, accompanied by a few toxic chuffs that I couldn't keep in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here