Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Looking forward to the NSC BMarathon Challenge myself. Not participating myself and would be nowhere near 3:30 even if I was, so I'll set you two up against each other for starters. Not sure who to put the money on as both on an upward graph.

Any other NSC Runners going for sub 3:30?

We can wave the flag together!

Good 3 x12 min intervals at 7:15/mile pace this morning. Calf feels much better. Tentatively removing myself from the injured list for now at least.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have a broad strategy for trying to get a 3.20 marathon this year and a sub 3.05 next year, not sure if that's possible but I'm getting faster bit by bit. If I can manage 3.20 this year plan is to use the summer for speed training and improving overall levels of fitness by hitting the swimming pool hard again.

My first marathon was 3:20 and my last one, my 5th was 3:05. It's possible!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Seems there's quite a few of you coming back from injury. Just want to say good luck guys.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Looking forward to the NSC BMarathon Challenge myself. Not participating myself and would be nowhere near 3:30 even if I was, so I'll set you two up against each other for starters. Not sure who to put the money on as both on an upward graph.

Well one of us is 33 and the other errr isn't.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I was hoping to (actually next month, before Brighton but may try at Brighton instead) but I don't think my gammy foot is going to let me do enough training.......we'll see.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
After 4 weeks off running over Xmas (illness and laziness) I've officially started my marathon training for the biggest challenge of my life. 4 small runs from 3-5 miles in the last 6 days have been a good start - 16 miles in the bank already. I'm planning on a small run 4-6 miles each week combined with a longer one which I increase each week from now. Starting at 6 and going up in 2s each week. Then hopefully at least 2 runs at the 20mile mark to really have me prepared (from what I've been told).

Any advice welcome - how many miles should I try to do in Jan / Feb and March respectively maybe? If I do 48 / 60 and 74 (which is roughly my plan) for these 3 months do people think that's enough? First timer remember but have done 8 halves - mainly on minimum training.

I am doing this for REMF and have just set up my just-giving page so may as well pop it here Incase any of my fellow NSCers are feeling generous:

www.justgiving.co.uk/sheebomarathon

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
After 4 weeks off running over Xmas (illness and laziness) I've officially started my marathon training for the biggest challenge of my life. 4 small runs from 3-5 miles in the last 6 days have been a good start - 16 miles in the bank already. I'm planning on a small run 4-6 miles each week combined with a longer one which I increase each week from now. Starting at 6 and going up in 2s each week. Then hopefully at least 2 runs at the 20mile mark to really have me prepared (from what I've been told).

Any advice welcome - how many miles should I try to do in Jan / Feb and March respectively maybe? If I do 48 / 60 and 74 (which is roughly my plan) for these 3 months do people think that's enough? First timer remember but have done 8 halves - mainly on minimum training.

I am doing this for REMF and have just set up my just-giving page so may as well pop it here Incase any of my fellow NSCers are feeling generous:

I'm not sure what to advise other than Runners World marathon training plans. From my experience they're very very good and if you stick to their plan you'll get round in the time they state. They range from "first time just get me round the course" up to sub-3 hours with varying levels of daily commitment so there is something for everyone. They also provide a good mix of training styles and they will build you up suitably

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/general/big-marathon-index/7355.html

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Well one of us is 33 and the other errr isn't.

Is that 3:33? Unable to start my own mind games so I'll have to start them for others.:lol:

Have you raced with Beep Beep before? How come you know his age? Intelligence link to Putin? Looking forward to this showdown.

Good luck with the training all and I'll be waving the flag with Simgull.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Is that 3:33? Unable to start my own mind games so I'll have to start them for others.:lol:

Have you raced with Beep Beep before? How come you know his age? Intelligence link to Putin? Looking forward to this showdown.

Good luck with the training all and I'll be waving the flag with Simgull.

I've never had the pleasure but it's amazing what you can discover by viewing someone's profile page :lolol:

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012

Your pretty much where I was this time last year. I'd never run a marathon before but like you had entered a few half marathons and a number of 10k's. Also like you I ran for REMF and was pleased I'd made that commitment as it helped to keep me going when things got tough. The more sponsors you get the heavier the burden but also the greater the will to succeed. If you can run a half ( I've seen you do this very well on bexhill seafront) you can run a marathon. I had a training plan similar to the one you've described and echoing [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] provided you stick to the plan you'll be fine.

Would also add it's one of the most rewarding things I've ever done and loved every minute.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I've never had the pleasure but it's amazing what you can discover by viewing someone's profile page :lolol:

Exactly. Stava's not bad but needs fabrication. You need a new pair of trainers, your hound looks great what breed is he/she?, are they you're pigs? I remember you getting lost with the sheep and could I have some honey next time I see you. I could pop round I know where you are.
3:42:47 is a great marathon time. I still have nightmares of you breezing past around the West Pier site with 14 miles to go.........

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

A good piece of advice I'd give is come on here and share your training experiences good and bad. We'll cheer you along, help you if you have a wobble, and get you to the finish line!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Your pretty much where I was this time last year. I'd never run a marathon before but like you had entered a few half marathons and a number of 10k's. Also like you I ran for REMF and was pleased I'd made that commitment as it helped to keep me going when things got tough. The more sponsors you get the heavier the burden but also the greater the will to succeed. If you can run a half ( I've seen you do this very well on bexhill seafront) you can run a marathon. I had a training plan similar to the one you've described and echoing [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] provided you stick to the plan you'll be fine.

Would also add it's one of the most rewarding things I've ever done and loved every minute.

Excellent advice and just what I was after - thank you! Same to you [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] My home life (having a 5yr old and a wife that works 4 or 5 nights a week) really does restrict me to 2 runs a week - 3 if I'm lucky. So would you say a hilly 4 miler small run plus a long run of 10-20 miles would be enough to have me prepared? That's about all I can essentially manage. I know a fella who used to do really quick marathons and he only trained once a week on a Sunday but just increased his mileage each week until he got to 20. I know it's differ bet for everyone but I'll be doing more than him! Research varies - I've just seen somethin saying minimum 30-45 miles a week - not sure what period this is looking at though - I will be doing up to 30 miles in a few of my weeks as it stands.

I just will not let myself get to the day and feel underprepared - this is a complete one off challenge for me - most say if you get up to 20 in training and do that distance at least twice you'll be fine...?!

D Block blue

Feb 23, 2009
West Sussex la la la
Any advice welcome

2 pieces of advice if I may, first being is get this book..... Advanced Marathoning' by Pete Pfitzinger as recommended to me by [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] before my 1st ever marathon. I can tell you what great book full of information you will ever need to prepare yourself for the big day. Like you I had only done half marathons before and recovery was not an issue, so my 2nd piece of advice is plan your recovery as this I found out was going to be my achilles heel. Stupidly this is where I failed and took me a while to get back running, to the point I almost fell out of love with running full stop. Your training plan looks more than adequate, but I don't think you can absorb enough information and that is where the book was very helpful. Enjoy

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

2 pieces of advice if I may, first being is get this book..... Advanced Marathoning' by Pete Pfitzinger as recommended to me by [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] before my 1st ever marathon. I can tell you what great book full of information you will ever need to prepare yourself for the big day. Like you I had only done half marathons before and recovery was not an issue, so my 2nd piece of advice is plan your recovery as this I found out was going to be my achilles heel. Stupidly this is where I failed and took me a while to get back running, to the point I almost fell out of love with running full stop. Your training plan looks more than adequate, but I don't think you can absorb enough information and that is where the book was very helpful. Enjoy

I forgot about that. Glad it was of use. My copy is resting ready to be read again next year. Good recommendation. [MENTION=457]sheebo[/MENTION] your plan of training would work and get you to the finish line and your recovery each week would be beneficial. You would not achieve your best possible time but can leave that till your 50 and have more time! It's important with marathon training to determine the time you have available for training and work from there. Good luck.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I see Matt Prior is talking on twitter about running Parkrun on Saturday at Hove Park, might just drag myself down there with that in mind.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Four REMF runners this year I believe. Me and you, a guy called Jamie who I knew years back from away games and Jared, one half of the REMF football team "Brick Wall". I think we have one marathon between the four of us and that was mine last year where I went off too fast, broke my watch and took Immodium when I shouldn't have. Given that I think we'll all be looking for advice from the more experienced runners on here! [MENTION=3887]Uncle Spielberg[/MENTION] is going to link our Just Giving pages I believe. Nearer the date I'll talk to Brett about getting some publicity for all of us and I'm also on the Albion Roar this week so we're going to start pushing the pages on there. Finally I would suggest a meet up in Preston Park on the morning of the run. Last year the guys from this thread plus another REMF runner and a couple of friends of mine met up and chatted at the cafe. There were at least five novices in the group and it definitely helped calm the nerves - plus we can get a "before" team selfie while we all look vaguely normal.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Four REMF runners this year I believe. Me and you, a guy called Jamie who I knew years back from away games and Jared, one half of the REMF football team "Brick Wall". I think we have one marathon between the four of us and that was mine last year where I went off too fast, broke my watch and took Immodium when I shouldn't have. Given that I think we'll all be looking for advice from the more experienced runners on here! @Uncle Spielburg is going to link our Just Giving pages I believe. Nearer the date I'll talk to Brett about getting some publicity for all of us and I'm also on the Albion Roar this week so we're going to start pushing the pages on there. Finally I would suggest a meet up in Preston Park on the morning of the run. Last year the guys from this thread plus another REMF runner and a couple of friends of mine met up and chatted at the cafe. There were at least five novices in the group and it definitely helped calm the nerves - plus we can get a "before" team selfie while we all look vaguely normal.

Good luck to you all. If anyone wants advice on running 19 miles in 2:40:00 and 7 miles in 1:27:00, I'm your man. It's all about pacing! Good to see a more determined Guinness Boy coming out of the turn of the year injury woes.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here