Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Upgrade A27

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
You take that back, you scoundrel, bounder and cad.

Hampshire's Portsmouth is the small price we have to pay for being perfect.

How do you explain East Sussex's Eastbourne?
How do I explain Eastbourne? Eastbourne is lovely. I live here. Fantastic situation, close to Brighton, which I love, cheaper, wonderful seafront and downs, what's not to like? One of the lowest crime rates for a large town in England and certainly quieter than the 6 or so places I lived in previously when I was exiled in Liverpool. Town centre needs an upgrade which is happening, although I couldn't really care less about that personally as the internet is for shopping.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
You take that back, you scoundrel, bounder and cad.

Hampshire's Portsmouth is the small price we have to pay for being perfect.

How do you explain East Sussex's Eastbourne?

I generally explain it as a prettier, pleasanter version of Worthing with a much better selection of parks, shops, restaurants and other facilities.

All roads are busier during peak times (that's why they call them "peak times"). And how DARE the locals clutter up the roads doing something so plebian as driving to work ?

Do you really think that a dual carriageway from the Southerham junction to Cophall junction wouldn't improve thousands of peoples' lives and reduce pollution ?
The last time they came up with a dual carriageway proposal between Lewes and Polegate, they found that the local traffic movements couldn't be accommodated without a massive amount of spending on additional improvements very similar to those that are being unveiled today.

At the end of the road where I live, we would have been left with three roads ... the new A27 dual carriageway; an improved local road (along the route of the current A27, with junction changes); and the old (pre-1970s) A27. Apart from the A26 at Beddingham, there would have been no access to the new dual carriageway for anybody travelling to or from the villages north and south of the road.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not sure just making it wider through Worthing is the right answer anymore. It has to be a bypass, but where it goes is anybody's guess.

IMG_2483_1.jpg

If they can do this at Florida Keys, why not in the English Channel ?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
How do I explain Eastbourne? Eastbourne is lovely. I live here. Fantastic situation, close to Brighton, which I love, cheaper, wonderful seafront and downs, what's not to like? One of the lowest crime rates for a large town in England and certainly quieter than the 6 or so places I lived in previously when I was exiled in Liverpool. Town centre needs an upgrade which is happening, although I couldn't really care less about that personally as the internet is for shopping.

Good riposte. I'm ready and primed to defend Hastings and 1066 country should it come under attack from a Westie too.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
The last time they came up with a dual carriageway proposal between Lewes and Polegate, they found that the local traffic movements couldn't be accommodated without a massive amount of spending on additional improvements very similar to those that are being unveiled today.

At the end of the road where I live, we would have been left with three roads ... the new A27 dual carriageway; an improved local road (along the route of the current A27, with junction changes); and the old (pre-1970s) A27. Apart from the A26 at Beddingham, there would have been no access to the new dual carriageway for anybody travelling to or from the villages north and south of the road.

Perfect. A new road with few (or zero) junctions enabling the thousands of people who live in Eastbourne/Hailsham and work in Brighton to get to/from work. The current A27 with much less traffic for the handful of people in the villages to get each way.
Everyone's a winner !

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
How much tax is raised from motorists though? Absolutely loads. Road Tax, Excise Duty (plus VAT), and then Insurance Premium Tax. The excludes the VAT on new cars, plus the VAT for the running costs of the cars (all which wouldn't be raised if all drivers used public transport).. So, with respect, drivers do pay for the roads and train fares don't cover the costs of the rail network.

I'm not sure it's true that revenue specifically from driving activities covers the expense of building and upkeep of roads but I think that's an aside, a straw man if you will. We all benefit from the roads and the railways, they are, obviously, essential to almost every function of our country so why do we we always want to cut the spending on railways and spend on the roads? Political expediency pehaps? The fact is we have to find a smart way of moving more and more people from A to B, and we cannot just keep building roads, we have to find a more effective way that takes up less space and whether we like it or not, that must be public transport.

The problem, of course, is that we now have a society that focuses on the individual rather than the whole and people may acknowledge some of the above but will still come to the conclusion that they want to travel from a to b at their chosen time in their chose vehicle on their chosen route. Ultimately, that is unsustainable.

Finally, focusing on railways, people are often reticent to support funding the railways because they rarely, if ever, use them. Unfortunately, that's missing the point as they're the only method there is for many many people to travel to, for instance, they city of London. They are, therefore, absolutely essential to our economy.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
The Falmer junction on the A27 is in desperate need of sorting out. Ideally it would be a big roundabout over the dual carriageway, like the Gatwick junction on the M23, as the queues there are terrible. It has been said there is no impetus to get it sorted as 1 half is in Lewes and the other in Brighton & Hove so neither authority feels it is their responsibility.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
There's a meeting at Worthing Pavilion tomorrow night.

Worthing really needs a complete bypass. The obvious route would be to widen Long Furlong so traffic traverses to the North of Findon from Angmering way, but once it reaches the A24, where would it go from there? It would be such a vast project that I really can't see it happening.

I would imagine those who have houses along the A27 in Worthing will now be worried about (yet another) round of compulsory purchases to widen the existing road. Given the history of property along the A27 in Worthing, there's always likely to be a risk that it happens again.

And this is the preferred option, having time to the first meeting.

Perfect. A new road with few (or zero) junctions enabling the thousands of people who live in Eastbourne/Hailsham and work in Brighton to get to/from work. The current A27 with much less traffic for the handful of people in the villages to get each way.
Everyone's a winner !
... except, of course, the people who would prefer the economy of East Sussex to deliver benefits throughout the county, rather than see even more concentration of activity in Brighton (which is close to bursting point already).

Bognor Bystander

Looking for a new job
Oct 7, 2010
Bognor Regis
That doesn't take in the issues around Arundel as well.

Surely the best route would be an upgrade loosely following A29 from Fontwell to top of Bury Hill, B2138/A283 to the Shoreham by pass

Don't tell everyone my 'alternative' route Bob ! Although B2139 through Storrington is the 1st alternative ;o)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Don't tell everyone my 'alternative' route Bob ! Although B2139 through Storrington is the 1st alternative ;o)
We never go to the Albion on the A27.
Always going up through Long Furlong, heading east from Washington.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
We never go to the Albion on the A27.
Always going up through Long Furlong, heading east from Washington.

I love driving down Long Furlong westwards.

Most picturesque bit of road in the country!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Even if the project got planning permission the Brexiteers will ensure we won't have the workers from abroad we need to get the thing built.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here