Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Underrated Films

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I posed this question on either a Netflix or the Obscure thread.

How do you champion a film that's best feature is the fact it's not be championed?
The moment a 'lesser' film gets anything more than 'it was alright', it runs the risk of not being able to live up to the 'hype'.

Say for example we'd watched a film based on a groundbreaking (fantastic) documentary.
After forgiving it all the missteps, esp around accents, we really enjoyed it yet it's not possible to say 'you've got to watch film x, you'll really enjoy it', because you know, already, you've over-hyped it.

Such a quandary.

On a completely different subject does anyone remember this fella from 3rd Rock From the Sun?

The-Walk-2015-New-Poster-1.jpg

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
Dan In Real Life. A brilliant, heartbreaking film with Steve Carrell. I urge you to seek it out.
Box of Moonlight.
Alien 3
She's The One
Tigerland

i read this thread from back to front and thought that the clamp chap know his films... like pretty much all the ones you've listed. I thought when i get to the end (or the beginning) ill put in box of moonlight ... no one will mention that

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
The edge - Anthony Hopkins and alec Baldwin. Tense and well acted.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Never hear much praise for The Dead Zone but it's one of my favourite films. Amazing performances from Christopher Walken and Martin Sheen. Clever, scary, thought provoking and touching. One of the best adaptations of Stephen King's writing but not given the adulation of Shawshank Redemption, Stand By Me etc.

I'd second Grosse Point Blank although it does have quite a cult following. What a great film. I'm a massive fan of John Cusack but Jeremy Piven and Dan Ackroyd are also brilliant in it.

Also really liked Killing Them Softly which flopped massively but I thought was a quality film.

The dead zone is a great shout

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Anthropoid
Based on the extraordinary true story of Operation Anthropoid, the WWII mission to assassinate SS General Reinhard Heydrich, the main architect behind the Final Solution and the Reich's third in command after Hitler and Himmler.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4190530/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Anthropoid didn't get the plaudits it deserved imo. Almost went under the radar completely.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Jabberwocky - Not always a fan of Gilliam, but I do love this effort.

Top Secret. - If only for the "An*l Intruder".

I haven't seen either for years mind, so maybe watching them again now might be an underwhelming experience, but I used to absolutely love them.

in women's tennis, I always bet against the heterosexual

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
payback is another one

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Narc

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The edge - Anthony Hopkins and alec Baldwin. Tense and well acted.
The reason this film is so damned good?
Written and directed by David Mamet and starring two of our finest actors in Baldwin and Hopkins.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The reason this film is so damned good?
Written and directed by David Mamet and starring two of our finest actors in Baldwin and Hopkins.

Can't go wrong with Hopkins, the guy is just class. He even made Transformers the last Knight which, and I know I am going to be slaughtered for this, made the film. But was a great slice of entertainment for me, utterly bonkers almost tempted to throw it in here. The series does what is says on the tin. The first one was a sci fi heavyweight, the last knight is the next best for me

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Actually what the hell I will throw this one in here. The much derided Transformers series. The first one was great, had good reviews and then diminishing returns. The Last Knight seen recently and it is very entertaining, some amazing scenes and loads in England. It is nuts and bonkers but I actually lliked it a lot. Second best for me. It does exactly was required of it, loved the 4 foot butler robot. So crazy it is good for me. Far better than I thought it would be https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Vtf0MszgP8

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Actually what the hell I will throw this one in here. The much derided Transformers series. The first one was great, had good reviews and then diminishing returns. The Last Knight seen recently and it is very entertaining, some amazing scenes and loads in England. It is nuts and bonkers but I actually lliked it a lot. Second best for me. It does exactly was required of it, loved the 4 foot butler robot. So crazy it is good for me. Far better than I thought it would be https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Vtf0MszgP8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUQ5C2Yd9Xs

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
"Harold and Maude" starring Bud Cort and Ruth Gordon with a soundtrack by Cat Stevens. It's about a death obsessed introverted 20 year old (Cort) and the romantic relationship he develops with a vibrant life loving 79 year old (Ruth Gordon) who he met at a random funeral they had both attended. It wasn't commercially or critically successful at the time (1971) but I've just this second discovered that this film was selected for preservation in the National Film Registry of the Library of Congress in 1997, for being culturally, historically or aesthetically significant which is what I also discovered about the previous film I selected for this thread. I've always loved this film. I'm not going to do a spoiler but the scene which explains the value Maude puts on life is extremely moving and simply understated.

https://youtu.be/hR-OojNoVDgf

This is one of wife’s favourite films along with True Romance & Grosse Point Blank, I have to sit through all three at least twice a year when she gets homesick !!

My nomination for underrated film is Crash.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here