Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Garth Crooks Team of the Week

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
20171022_230524.png

Full article here http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/41715654

But despite that praise, he still thinks were going down. Muppet or prohpet?

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Garth doesn't think Brighton are going down. He is helping manage expectations and keep players focussed to prove people wrong.

Well that's one theory. The other is that he's a bozo. Apparently our players are going to collapse with exhaustion by Christmas, if you read his comments on Murray.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Pull a striker out of the bag in Jan and i think we have a great chance of staying up. We still need a bit of quality up top i feel. Long way to go still.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Thanks Garth...

"His performances this season have been a steep learning curve but the player has coped admirably in some difficult circumstances. His performance against West Ham proved the point that Dunk is a player very capable of surviving in the Premier League. I'm still not convinced Brighton can."

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
It's pretty clear this season, if it wasn't already before, that Premier League pundits are really poor. When it comes to the top 6, their analysis tends to be mediocre. Outside of that, it's non-existent. Generally, unknown pundits/commentators on foreign TV channels seem to offer more insight than do domestic pundits. I suspect the many armchair Premier League fans do not pay as much attention to detail as do the more devoted type of supporter that would be present on this type of forum, judging by the apparent popularity of Soccer Saturday with 'Jeff and the boys'.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Naff extra comment, but it is great to see recognition of the performances. West Ham with all their immensely expensive big guns (except Carroll) threw everything at the Albion first half, but were repelled every time.

More intelligent that the crap that comes out of Merson's slurring gob.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Only voting for Brighton Players so he can wheedle his way down here and dispose of a few more Piglets Pies.

Well probably more than a few...

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Naff extra comment, but it is great to see recognition of the performances. West Ham with all their immensely expensive big guns (except Carroll) threw everything at the Albion first half, but were repelled every time.

More intelligent that the crap that comes out of Merson's slurring gob.

According to Murray on an after show program that very few probably saw, the tactic was to push West Ham out wide and let them cross the ball, and trust D&D to deal with it. Them not having Carroll certainly helped with that. 27 balls into the box I think, but very rarely troubled.

Danny Mills and Dean Ashton also thought Murray's header was a fluke, as he tried to head it into the other corner. It did look that way on the replay I saw on MOTD, not that it particularly matters.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
He's been afflicted by verbal diarrhea for many years...doesn't seem to have lost much weight on it though.

Bit of advice Garth, just because you haven't heard of the player it doesn't automatically follow that he's not any good. Do some research you lazy tw@t.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
That is dreadful. Some of it comes across as him (or whoever wrote it) needing to fill space.

The beginning of the Dunk bit: 'West Ham have conceded three penalties this season, which tells you volumes about the lack of confidence and coherence in their back four. Should Joe Hart have saved the strike from Jose Izquierdo that put Brighton two up and on their way to a 3-0 win in Friday night's fixture? The answer is an unequivocal 'yes'.'

And for Duffy? 'West Ham boss Slaven Bilic said he wasn't worried by whatever response greets him this week after West Ham's defeat against a rampant Brighton. If he's not worried about his team's shocking performance, he should be worried about the West Ham fans streaming out of the ground with 15 minutes left to play. Board members listen to their fans.'

Regardless or not if it is true, what the HELL does that lot have to do with either of the Albion's centre backs?

I can sort of see the 'managing expectations' argument, but a) it's written in a pretty negative and condescending way and b) there is an argument that it doesn't need to be said at all. Especially given that 'I've made it clear in the past how difficult I think it is going to be for Brighton to stay in the Premier League this season'.

Conclusion: Tool.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
"In danger of collapsing of exhaustion by January"

What playing one game of 90 minute football each week.

Honestly some of these pundits are clueless. They see the name Brighton (or any other recently promoted underdog) and their default analysis is to tarnish us with the relegation dead certs brush.

No reasoned argument and no knowledge of our quality and togetherness. If Garth actually took the time to analyse us properly he'd realise that in Knocky, Bruno, March, Dunk, Duffy, Isquierdo, Ryan, Propper, Gross, we have players more than good enough for the prem. Not withstanding in our last two seasons in the championship we only lost 15 out of 92 games - but of course Garth wouldn't know that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Garth Crooks is a massive Peni but before we all get too carried away Middlesborough had a good first half of the season last year and then totally imploded. I think we need be careful of not becoming over confident that we have this cracked. Another good striker at Xmas is an absolute must if we are going to stay up imo.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Garth Crooks is a massive Peni but before we all get too carried away Middlesborough had a good first half of the season last year and then totally imploded. I think we need be careful of not becoming over confident that we have this cracked. Another good striker at Xmas is an absolute must if we are going to stay up imo.

Big difference is that Hughton has clocked up a 100 Premier league games now while Aitor Karanka had no experience. As the season wears on this is my slight concern. Hopefully a couple of signings and a re-jiggle of the 25 man squad should strengthen us further. People like Skalak or Murphy etc could be moved on to free up space.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I agree that performing in the Premier League week in and week out will probably put added pressure and stress on certain players, but that looks like it is easing with every game.
By about mid season, with injured players back, they will probably be just taking it in their stride and be nobody's bunny.
We hope, that anyway.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here