Votes: 34 17.9%
  • Yes - once

Votes: 31 16.3%
  • No

Votes: 125 65.8%

• Total voters

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
So maybe now is the time for us to appoint a "boomeister general" who can let us know in advance which players we can boo and those that we must not.

This is football folks...not a game of rummy over afternoon tea.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I loved the "You're always drinking and diving, drinking and diiiiiiving!" Chant

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
So maybe now is the time for us to appoint a "boomeister general" who can let us know in advance which players we can boo and those that we must not.

This is football folks...not a game of rummy over afternoon tea.

We could save expense and just add the responsibility of boo regulation to the song police.

I'm sure there's a few perennially embarassed melts on here who could step up to the plate.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
If anyone was going to boo him it should have been the Everton fans. He slowed up everything they tried to do by dropping back into midfield and taking the ball. It was like watching England in the last days of Roy Hodgson. As a striker he also gave Duffy and Dunk an easy afternoon. He may have been great once upon a time, but he doesn't look anywhere near being in the same class as the Man City forwards we saw in our opening game. You can see why Mourhinio offloaded him and Everton's purchase looks like nothing more than an emotional sop to their fans after letting Lukaku go.

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
"Football world left baffled as Brighton supporters boo Wayne Rooney throughout 1-1 draw with Everton

Even so, when the 31 year-old trotted out with his Everton team mates to play Brighton at the Amex, he probably wasn't expecting a particularly hostile reception.

After all, why would he?

Everton and Brighton have no great rivalry or history. This was Rooney's first Premier League clash against the Seagulls. He has no links to Crystal Palace, Brighton's fiercest rivals.

And yet - despite the fact England's record goalscorer has never said or done anything to harm Brighton - a large section of the home supporters booed him relentlessly, jeering his every touch during the 1-1 draw.

Somewhat understandably, football fans everywhere were a little mystified…"

More >>> http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/football-world-left-baffled-brighton-11346651

Strange one. Strikes me as a bit parochial.

Did you boo? If so, why?

Simple isn't it? Horrible human being, what is there to like? When other big names such as Gerrard came down they got a good reception.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
God there's a lot of ****wittery on this thread (shock horror NSC). Thats the WHOLE ****ING POINT of a home crowd. You go at their star player, their talisman - you get him rattled, thats half the game won. There's a reason Australian cricket teams always go at the England captain, its the same reason home football crowds get on the back of the opposition's stars.

Its not bloody personal, jeez

and that Mirror article reads like something from the Onion

Do you really think he's the least bit bothered by being booed? He couldn't care less and has no effect on the way he plays. Same applies to all players who get booed. It's a totally pointless exercise.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Perhaps people (having read the thread on here) were worried about him being cheered by JCLs, so they got their boos in early, just in case.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
This is a guy that looked like he had the world at his feet in 2004. Yes, he is England's and Man United's top scorer, but:

He's failed at all the major finals since that date;

He's criticised England fans for (rightly) booing when we drew 0-0 at home to Algeria;

He's allegedly been unfaithful to his wife on more than one occasion;

He's been convicted of drink-driving - a dedicated sportsman does not drink at all, let alone enough to be over the limit;

At the relatively young age of 31, he's struggled to get into the first team of the biggest club in the country. He's then had to take a backward step and sign for a lesser club (his childhood club, who when he scored against them, kissed the badge of his current team).

Just some of the reasons why he is not the country's most popular player.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
When other big names such as Gerrard came down they got a good reception.

I'm not quite sure what was more embarrassing: booing Rooney or clapping Gerrard. Neither of those actions reflects well on us IMO.

Booing Pilchard, on the other hand, made perfect sense ...

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
I didn't boo but the youngest of the commentators that sit behind me (think a lobotomised John motson with tourettes and you're half way there) screamed 'you're irrelevant' every time he got near the ball.

Although tearful through the relentless tedium of their views ('it's a corner!' yes thank you we can all see that) I somehow thought that calling him irrelevant 376 times somehow made him relevant?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Im actually fairly shocked that some on NSC feel embarrassed by this - are we really becoming that sterile?

There was a thread on NSC where most posters were telling everyone NOT to go on the pitch before the Wigan game last year - and being quite forceful about it - I've just come to the conclusion that NSC is largely out of touch with the Brighton fanbase

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Do you really think he's the least bit bothered by being booed? He couldn't care less and has no effect on the way he plays. Same applies to all players who get booed. It's a totally pointless exercise.

are you quite sure about that...?

I don't mean Rooney necessarily, but to suggest that home crowds can't get into away players heads, why, it would suggest that home and away records should be identical??

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

Blimey, somebody didn't go to Naarrch at home last season.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here