Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Not Another Ashley Barnes Thread

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
His cross for Ulloa's goal against Arsenal will take some beating for best cross at the Amex. Absolute perfection.

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
His cross for Ulloa's goal against Arsenal will take some beating for best cross at the Amex. Absolute perfection.

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk

Great ball, but I'll raise you Pocognoli's for Knockaert's winner v Sheffield Wednesday.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
On my desk at work I've still got a picture of Ash, fists clenched, leaping into the air celebrating another goal scored. I love him to bits and always will.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He's pushed on since he left us. As already said - he's done a lot better than the likes of Bridcutt and Buckley.

But getting suspended for 8 games for tripping the ref in the middle of a promotion push is very likely to get fans upset.

Rose tinted specs from a few on here.

Most people were prepared to believe the referee's version because of Ashley's petulance. [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] and I were at Wigan, where we couldn't see why he'd been sent off. Watching the video of it, it confirmed my theory that Barnes clipped the back of the referee's heel, which caused him to slightly stumble (not tripped) and the ref lost it. Barnes had been in his ear all game, because he had been denied a penalty from all in wrestling in our penalty area, the defender having had his arm around his neck at one point, and pushing him down to the ground. It happened right in front of me. I did say 'don't keep pushing it, Barnesy'. It was not a deliberate trip.
I was at the kit sponsor's dinner a couple of weeks later and spoke to him about it. He was upset the club wouldn't allow him to defend himself, at the hearing, as the club feared the ban would be extended.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Was that before or after his '3 points for a cup win' comment? Or his kicking the referee up in the air when we were desperately short of strikers?

He was booed, but so what? Diddums... he was great for us in league 1, average for us in the Championship, and no big miss... we've hardly struggled without him, have we?

FFS the romancing of his average contribution to our cause on here makes me sick...

Perhaps you wouldn't feel quite so sick, if you didn't exaggerate.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Most people were prepared to believe the referee's version because of Ashley's petulance. [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] and I were at Wigan, where we couldn't see why he'd been sent off. Watching the video of it, it confirmed my theory that Barnes clipped the back of the referee's heel, which caused him to slightly stumble (not tripped) and the ref lost it. Barnes had been in his ear all game, because he had been denied a penalty from all in wrestling in our penalty area, the defender having had his arm around his neck at one point, and pushing him down to the ground. It happened right in front of me. I did say 'don't keep pushing it, Barnesy'. It was not a deliberate trip.
I was at the kit sponsor's dinner a couple of weeks later and spoke to him about it. He was upset the club wouldn't allow him to defend himself, at the hearing, as the club feared the ban would be extended.

I wasn't at that game and you are better qualified than me to judge on whether it was deliberate or not.

All I would say is that 8 game bans are not given out lightly and the club were clearly worried enough to let it lie. I would be upset at not being allowed to defend myself as well - but it doesn't mean he didn't do it.

Anyway respect to Dyche for seeing something in him and Barnes for taking his opportunity.

We've all moved on for the better.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I wasn't at that game and you are better qualified than me to judge on whether it was deliberate or not.

All I would say is that 8 game bans are not given out lightly and the club were clearly worried enough to let it lie. I would be upset at not being allowed to defend myself as well - but it doesn't mean he didn't do it.

Anyway respect to Dyche for seeing something in him and Barnes for taking his opportunity.

We've all moved on for the better.

The reason he got an 8 game ban was because he'd had a red card earlier in the season, at Hillsbrough for a badly timed tackle.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

I was at Bolton at the time, but agree that the referee was just trying to save face. In issues of this nature you are guilty until found innocent, and the club no doubt thought there was insufficient video evidence to have the charges reversed.

As for Ashley, I've taught a few courses at Turf Moor for UCFB, and he's a lovely bloke, well thought of by everyone on and off the pitch there.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I was at Bolton at the time, but agree that the referee was just trying to save face. In issues of this nature you are guilty until found innocent, and the club no doubt thought there was insufficient video evidence to have the charges reversed.

As for Ashley, I've taught a few courses at Turf Moor for UCFB, and he's a lovely bloke, well thought of by everyone on and off the pitch there.

You're right it was Bolton, not Wigan.

Jan 10, 2014
Which makes his goalscoring record even more abysmal,.... 73 in 350.... pah.

It isn't just about goals, certainly not for us at this level. Obviously it helps if a forward can get 15/20 goals at this level but not many do or can do, not these with the limited abilities of Barnes anyway.

Sometimes it's about yardage.

You're there playing it across the back and probing a way into midfield, but most of these teams have 6 players in there stopping you. So you go long, and if Barnes is the target he can get a free kick by the centre half barging him in the back (Barnes is a niggly *******, they hate playing against someone like him). Or he wins a free kick because there has been contact, but not enough to knock over a 3 year old girl like.

Now you have a free kick 35 yards out where you can hopefully get a decent ball into the box. From this free kick you could end up getting a chance on goal, or a second ball or even a corner to get another ball into the box and build a bit of pressure.

All that just for Barnes getting a free kick up the pitch.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
You're there playing it across the back and probing a way into midfield, but most of these teams have 6 players in there stopping you. So you go long, and if Barnes is the target he can get a free kick by the centre half barging him in the back (Barnes is a niggly *******, they hate playing against someone like him). Or he wins a free kick because there has been contact, but not enough to knock over a 3 year old girl like.

Barnes and Murray are absolute masters of winning free kicks in an aerial challenge where there's been no contact. At times it is literally comical. Amazed refs can't see through it but I'm not complaining (I will be if Barnes does it to us next season mind)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Thrived at missing sitters?

So many of those "sitters" were half chances in a Poyet team that often didn't create many chances in the Championship.

Every forward does miss sitters but Barnes was not playing as a centre forward in a goal grabbing team, in fact he seldom played centre forward at all, more of a defensive wide player in Poyet's basically negative set up.

I lost count of the number of times people like you blamed him for a defeat and slagged him off because he missed the one half chance we had. I even had one chap in the pub blame him for our thrashing in the Cup at Liverpool

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
So many of those "sitters" were half chances in a Poyet team that often didn't create many chances in the Championship.

Every forward does miss sitters but Barnes was not playing as a centre forward in a goal grabbing team, in fact he seldom played centre forward at all, more of a defensive wide player in Poyet's basically negative set up.

I lost count of the number of times people like you blamed him for a defeat and slagged him off because he missed the one half chance we had. I even had one chap in the pub blame him for our thrashing in the Cup at Liverpool
Dont remember quoting I blamed him for any defeat. Hemed will get more goals than Barnes in the PL if he gets the chance as he's a natural finisher, Barnes isn't more of a hit and hope type which reflects in his stats.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Dont remember quoting I blamed him for any defeat. Hemed will get more goals than Barnes in the PL if he gets the chance as he's a natural finisher, Barnes isn't more of a hit and hope type which reflects in his stats.

With rall due espect mate, you're coming across as more and more of a KNOB on the subject with every post you make on this thread.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Barnes was a top lad, well liked by his team-mates, who never gave anything less than 100%. Not just a good player, but a FAR more intelligent player than given credit for by many - excellent at winning free-kicks, and the only one truly on a wave-length with Vicente, who loved playing with him. Prepared to follow instructions to the letter and play absolutely anywhere for the team without complaint - despite his subsequent dip in scoring rates being used against him. Excellent defensively, in open play on the left, and aerially in our box.

Despite all that, some fans made themselves look a bit silly when he was here, in arguing that he was 'rubbish'.

That anyone STILL tries to argue that, after he's PROVEN them wrong over the course of two Premier League campaigns, just shows them to be completely stupid.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Barnes and Murray are absolute masters of winning free kicks in an aerial challenge where there's been no contact. At times it is literally comical. Amazed refs can't see through it but I'm not complaining (I will be if Barnes does it to us next season mind)

Alan Shearer, Giroud, Rooney. If true, they have company in masters of that particular 'skill'.

Ulloa tried it dozens of times playing for us, but in a case of Cry Wolf, refs ignored his non stop whinging.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here