Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

For all those moaning about the International break..............

Scarface

Apr 16, 2004
Burgess Hill
I remember it being 4-0 until about 80 minutes and then their fitness ran out. We were cheering NV by the end and booed when we scored the last goal!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Why shudder? He liked cricket and football so gave both a go. He also scored..

I'm sure Joe Gatting very much liked cricket and football. I shudder because unfortunately he was complete and utter SHIZER at it.

Another one to add to the pile of hopeless Development Squad strikers we systematically churn out.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm sure Joe Gatting very much liked cricket and football. I shudder because unfortunately he was complete and utter SHIZER at it.

Another one to add to the pile of hopeless Development Squad strikers we systematically churn out.

Apart from this game, he scored the winning goal at Cheaterfield, which we celebrated wildly. He also scored two goals at Blackburn for the FA youth cup to get us through to the 5th round at Newcastle.

Ok so he didn't make it any higher, but he still played for, and scored for the Albion. I really don't think that deserves a shudder. Just my opinion.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Apart from this game, he scored the winning goal at Cheaterfield, which we celebrated wildly. He also scored two goals at Blackburn for the FA youth cup to get us through to the 5th round at Newcastle.

Ok so he didn't make it any higher, but he still played for, and scored for the Albion. I really don't think that deserves a shudder. Just my opinion.

Its certainly more than I or most people ever managed or could even dream to, granted. He was still a SHOCKING striker though, nowhere near good enough to cut it in the Football League. We've produced loads of those. Its a Sussex speciality.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Its certainly more than I or most people ever managed or could even dream to, granted. He was still a SHOCKING striker though, nowhere near good enough to cut it in the Football League. We've produced loads of those. Its a Sussex speciality.
Having seen most of the games he played for the Albion and most he played for Sussex, it always struck me that whilst he was a slow and cumbersome striker, he was a lithe and excellent fielder. Probably says more about the 2 sports than it does about Joe.
Did he not also score a key goal at Orient which we celebrated wildly, them sadly being our rivals 10 years ago?
I always thought Joe probably had it too easy - genes, education, encouragement growing up - and that he never really had to try too hard, until he realised it was too late to make a sporting career.

PG

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Yoda

English & European
Six of them haven't, perhaps surprisingly - so not quite half have retired:-

El Abd and Revell have both scored recently (see Goal of the Month competition for El Abd's effort!);
Lynch is at QPR, Hammond at Sheff. Utd.
Cox and Fraser just up the road at Burgess Hill.

Think the rest have probably retired though.

Hammond is a free agent.
Signed permanently for Sheff Utd at the end of his loan spell last season when Adkins was still there, but instantly transfer listed by Wilder when he took charge and left by mutual consent in August.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I remember that game, I think Easy 10 asked insider for a scoreboard after that as we lost count

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Hammond is a free agent.
Signed permanently for Sheff Utd at the end of his loan spell last season when Adkins was still there, but instantly transfer listed by Wilder when he took charge and left by mutual consent in August.
And it only seems like yesterday that he was giving us the finger when he scored against us at the Withdean.

Perhaps we could get him a job at the Amex. Selling programmes or maybe directing buses.

PG

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Hammond is a free agent.

He seems to be taking after Virgo doing some media work.
[tweet]795234030555906048[/tweet]

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Why shudder? He liked cricket and football so gave both a go. He also scored.

I was there. NV brought so few fans, they had block A in the South Stand.

From this era I remember a midweek evening game in the Johnson's Paint Trophy at Withdean.

We sat in the North stand because the away fans (still can't remember who) were given the family stand. They had so few fans there that they themselves starting singing ..." Home in a taxi, we're going home in a taxi ..." :lolol:

It quite rightly got a round of applause from us. Marvellous scenes!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ten years ago today, we weren't bothered by such things, as we welcomed Northwich Victoria to Withdean for an FA Cup First Round tie.

The team was:

Kuipers
Mayo
Butters
Hinshelwood
Lynch
El Abd
Hammond
Fraser
Robinson
Revell
Cox

Subs:
Gatting
Rents
Santos
Frutos
Sullivan

Albion 8 (Cox 2, Robinson 3, Revell, Gatting, Rents)
Northwich Victoria 0

Att 4,487

Full of quality centre backs, yet, dare I say, a little light up front! :lol:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Is that the game where Jakey dared to score a hat-trick and gone-wrong Wilkins punished him by relegating Jakey to the bench for the next game? Or did it actually happen TWICE? ???

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
And it only seems like yesterday that he was giving us the finger when he scored against us at the Withdean.

Perhaps we could get him a job at the Amex. Selling programmes or maybe directing buses.

PG

Pretty sure he never did that. Cupped his ear.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I do wonder why the FA don't move the first round back to international week.

Would lead to higher crowds as no Championship/PL games?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Agree. Another player who did his best at a time when we didn't have a lot else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
There was a game that season where we fielded a back four who were all left footed.

Rents - Lynch - Butters - Mayo.

I doubt that will ever happen again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here