Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone seen this.....

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
It hasn't been done before.

Except to put "Seagulls, Seagulls" up, which was plain stupid.

Fading the music down after the intro seems the way to go, so people take over and sing. Putting the words up to assist younger fans who don't know them seems sensible. If they offend anyone, don't look at them.

If anyone is worried that the away fans might think it 'cringeworthy', get over it. I suspect they'll actually be impressed with the noise we'll make.

If its some Palace fans on twitter, posting a few lol smilies, about it, maybe you need to get a life.

Was it not done v palace first Amex season?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
For that I'd need to be on twitter, which I'm not

It takes about 2 minutes to sign up www.twitter.com You can then vote against if you wish.

Totally agree, how do we vote against if you are an old git that does not know how to use Twitter. I don't care what Palace fans think, although not a lot skill involved to remember the words to 'Glad all over' but it is a truly awful idea, we are a football team playing in a football stadium not a bloody Karaoke bar. Sometimes think the PR of our club needs some attention. We will be asking next if we want goal music and a lone seagull display swooping over the ground before the game.

Oi. I'm old too and managed it ok. Signing up to Twitter is as easy as it was to sign up to NSC. If you feel strongly enough about the issue, you'll sign up to vote. Won't you?

I've voted now. Come on, if only one of you sign up you can cancel out my vote!

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Fans should know the words - simple as that. If they insist in putting the words in, put them in the programme.

Its a bloody awful idea. Oh, and that Twitter "poll" results have been severely changed by Palace fans.....shows how embarrassing it is. Its a football match, not a karaoke session - know the words before you go to the game. As a comparison, do Palace stick the words to "Glad all Over" on their screen ? No. Do Liverpool for YNWA ? No. Do Sunderland for their song ? No.

Its almost as if we are trying to look like a laughing stock and pretty much admitting we have too many new fans, which we do.

*Awaits flaming for actually coming out and saying my full opinion against what others think*

upthealbion1970

NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
It takes about 2 minutes to sign up www.twitter.com You can then vote against if you wish.

Oi. I'm old too and managed it ok. Signing up to Twitter is as easy as it was to sign up to NSC. If you feel strongly enough about the issue, you'll sign up to vote. Won't you?

I've voted now. Come on, if only one of you sign up you can cancel out my vote!

In a weird way I'm glad this is all I've got to moan about tbh. Got no interest in twitter whatsoever :)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Fans should know the words - simple as that. If they insist in putting the words in, put them in the programme.

Its a bloody awful idea. Oh, and that Twitter "poll" results have been severely changed by Palace fans.....shows how embarrassing it is. Its a football match, not a karaoke session - know the words before you go to the game. As a comparison, do Palace stick the words to "Glad all Over" on their screen ? No. Do Liverpool for YNWA ? No. Do Sunderland for their song ? No.

Its almost as if we are trying to look like a laughing stock and pretty much admitting we have too many new fans, which we do.

*Awaits flaming for actually coming out and saying my full opinion against what others think*

But not everybody DOES know the words, except to the chorus. I'd rather the words were up and 15,000 voices joined in, then they were not, and 7,000 mumble along, going der der der der der.

Other clubs DO put them up, as well. Derby did for the play off game, and sounded brilliant. Are they the laughing stock of British football because they do so?

upthealbion1970

NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
If the club are really adamant about getting the atmosphere going why not put the beer prices down and print the words on the tickets and/or in the programme.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It was great last week when the PA system stopped but if the crowd take over the chorus, it's going to get faster and faster. The reason it worked so well last week, was because the sound faded in and out, thus keeping those singing, in time.

Schools should be teaching the kids these words as part of our history, but I haven't got a problem with it being on the screen.
The day I worry about what some Palace fans think of me, is a poor day.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I couldn't give a monkeys cock what any of the Nigels think, putting sing along words on the screens is only 1 step from clackers, goal music and drums IMO.

As I'm not on twitter does that mean I've got more if a life than you?

Derby do it with their club song, and the crowd really ramp it up. I don't think they are particularly tinpot, and that ground has one of the best atmospheres in the league. IMO, of course.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If the club are really adamant about getting the atmosphere going why not put the beer prices down and print the words on the tickets and/or in the programme.

80% of the crowd don't have printed tickets, and a similar number don't have a program - nor would you want them to be stood holding a bit of paper / programm up, when they ought to be clapping the team out. The screens are there for a reason. Use them.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
But not everybody DOES know the words, except to the chorus. I'd rather the words were up and 15,000 voices joined in, then they were not, and 7,000 mumble along, going der der der der der.

Other clubs DO put them up, as well. Derby did for the play off game, and sounded brilliant. Are they the laughing stock of British football because they do so?

Then stick them in a programme. Its football, not karaoke. You learn the words - not sing from a screen. We had words on the clackers.....that went well didnt it :facepalm:

Oh, and pre-match atmosphere really isnt THAT bad, its during the game where its dire. Just removing the music for the chorus would improve it pre-match.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I couldn't give a monkeys cock what any of the Nigels think, putting sing along words on the screens is only 1 step from clackers, goal music and drums IMO.

As I'm not on twitter does that mean I've got more if a life than you?

How the hell would lyrics on the screens lead to the crap you mentioned? The club already knows that goal music and drums are definite no's and they learned that their last clacker idea didn't go down too well.

I don't use twitter either for your information. As for having more of a life than me-what a ridiculous comment.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Then stick them in a programme. Its football, not karaoke. You learn the words - not sing from a screen. We had words on the clackers.....that went well didnt it :facepalm:

Oh, and pre-match atmosphere really isnt THAT bad, its during the game where its dire. Just removing the music for the chorus would improve it pre-match.

Not sure of your point.

The atmosphere BEFORE that Palace game WAS good, so not sure what you mean by 'that went well' - unless you are suggesting that having the words printed contributed to the result? That would be a bit silly, wouldn't it?

And yes, I agree - fading the music for the chorus WOULD improve the atmosphere immediately pre-kick off. Fading it earlier and having EVERYONE sing the whole thing, would improve it even more. IMO.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Fading the music down after the intro seems the way to go, so people take over and sing. Putting the words up to assist younger fans who don't know them seems sensible. If they offend anyone, don't look at them.

This is the way to go. And if anyone thinks it's 'tinpot' maybe they can explain how going der, der, de der because you don't know the words is less 'tinpot' ?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

There are only 4000 programmes sold per game.

upthealbion1970

NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Derby do it with their club song, and the crowd really ramp it up. I don't think they are particularly tinpot, and that ground has one of the best atmospheres in the league. IMO, of course.

So it's another non unique idea that we are trying to copy?

Bit like actual attendance figs, generic kit supplier that doesn't cater for under 6's and customers instead of fans.

Think I've posted enough in this thread now, but to make it clear it's stepping on the slippery slope of tinpotedness IMO, won't stop me going but might make me get there later and spend less at the ground.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here