Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] How Long Before Jazz clapping is enforced at Football grounds (PC gone mad (again?))

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
That's a gross distortion of what I meant and I think you know it.

Let's take an example at random of a physically disabled person being helped on to a busy commuter train and thus holding it up. Should we tut? No. Should we accept this as a perfectly reasonable delay? Yes we should. Should we make space for the wheelchair in the designated spot without complaint? Of course we should. Should we ban staring out of the window of trains in case it made the disabled person feel uncomfortable? No we shouldn't. Should we retimetable the whole system to allow them to get on every morning without delaying the service? Again no.

By using a sledgehammer to crack a nut you are actually risking a backlash against the weaker. And by seeking to virtue signal without thinking it through you do the same.

Sorry but this was a very limited use of whatever you calll jazz handing, in very specific area proposed by someone whose mental problems made it hard for them to do their elected job and thus to my mind entirely reasonable and if I was attending those specific meetings I would have no problem accommodating this.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I believe a one armed jazz hand is commonly referred to as waving.

How incredibly inconsiderate. I am astonished and appalled in equal measure. If that's all a poor unfortunate amputee / disabled student can manage, then everyone should be jazzing with one hand so as not to upset him. It makes total sense. :shootself

I'm afraid that when we 'tread the PC path' we're all on a hiding to nothing.

Common sense should prevail, but if you've got way too much time to think about it - common sense falls off the table, rolls across the floor, and ends up next to their stinking student fridge...

Guinness Boy nailed it. For people who have real and serious physical issues, yes - of course, it's blindingly obvious and nobody can argue that for a second. For people who have 'nervous issues', making them look like utter snowflakes in front of the world will only cause resentment when it impacts everyone. Yes, they need help, and they should absolutely receive help, but by placing them on a bloody great podium it will not do this......

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Well I for one am looking forward to the " If your all going to (insert football team name)... Jazz your hands" chants - Or will that be deemed too noisy and banned?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here