Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

Jul 7, 2003
Somewhat different to most of the gigs on here but I went to see The Bootleg Beatles last night. More of a show than a gig but from what I have seen on film, they were very good imitations of the Beatles whilst also good musicians in their own right. Having the mini-orchestra with them gives the later songs great depth and they have a nice line in self- effacing banter with the crowd. Not the most dynamic gig you will ever see but as a retrospective for those of us too young to see the originals it was a great night out.
[MENTION=19671]CorgiRegisteredFriend[/MENTION] - unfortunately, I didn't go as the bootleg Mark Chapman although the song kept going through my mind!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Somewhat different to most of the gigs on here but I went to see The Bootleg Beatles last night. More of a show than a gig but from what I have seen on film, they were very good imitations of the Beatles whilst also good musicians in their own right. Having the mini-orchestra with them gives the later songs great depth and they have a nice line in self- effacing banter with the crowd. Not the most dynamic gig you will ever see but as a retrospective for those of us too young to see the originals it was a great night out.
I think you're under-selling them! I was a teenager when Beatlemania was about, but never got to see them live. Thought the Bootleg Beatles were brilliant - I've seen them twice now, and will probably go again sometime.

Tonight though, I'm off downtown to the fabulous Gloucester Blues Festival - six free venues within half a mile of each other all week and all weekend, with real ale flowing freely at all of them! What's not to like? (Some of the music has been pretty good too!)

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
[MENTION=19671]CorgiRegisteredFriend[/MENTION] - unfortunately, I didn't go as the bootleg Mark Chapman although the song kept going through my mind!

Glad ypu enjoyed it...and here's Judy Tzuke to take us up to the news......

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Sun Kil Moon was pretty wonderful last night

Send in the clowns

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
It's been a little quiet of late due to festival season but Sep, Oct and Nov looks like 3 amazing months of shows.

This Friday: Taman Shud were brilliant the last time they were around earlier in the year. One my fave records of the year. Gnarly rock/ post-punk a bit Butthole Surfers/ Birthday Party with a smidge of more contemporary metal tropes in there.

Show - http://www.thegreendoorstore.co.uk/events/14-aug-15-taman-shud-the-green-door-store/
Album - https://tamanshud1.bandcamp.com/
Live Review - http://www.brightonnoise.co.uk/live-review/?p=99846

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
It's been a little quiet of late due to festival season but Sep, Oct and Nov looks like 3 amazing months of shows.

This Friday: Taman Shud were brilliant the last time they were around earlier in the year. One my fave records of the year. Gnarly rock/ post-punk a bit Butthole Surfers/ Birthday Party with a smidge of more contemporary metal tropes in there.

Show - http://www.thegreendoorstore.co.uk/events/14-aug-15-taman-shud-the-green-door-store/
Album - https://tamanshud1.bandcamp.com/
Live Review - http://www.brightonnoise.co.uk/live-review/?p=99846

I heartily endorse this. Their last show at the Albert was stunning. Hypnotic rhythms that refuse to put you down until the set id finished.

Was meant to be At Black Rooster Black Shag tonight, but after returning for Bloodstock I am just too shattered to go.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Anyone else see Luna last night? Was a shame that they got moved from the Old Market to Sticky Mikes but still a fantastic gig. Perfect summer tunes, and nice to see Dean Wareham and guitarist playing so well together. They should be playing to a lot more people.

I've got the opportunity to see Luna in October as I'm in Chicago when they are playing. I don't know an awful lot about them so I'll maybe buy one of their albums today, what in your opinion is their best?

Disclosure are playing at the navy pier the day before in Chicago so I fancy that too.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Chvrches just announced a UK tour this morning, playing the Dome on 16th November. Tickets on general sale Friday, pre-sale on Wednesday 9am :thumbsup:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Unfortunately not but as Dan Spicer is putting it on, I strongly suspect it won't be for the faint hearted. I'd love to go but can't unfortunately.

This makes me all the more keen. I've just searched Daniel Spicer and, it seems, he's a Wire journalist, who has interviewed a number of non-faint-hearted musicians, including Peter Brotzmann and Mats Gustafsson. That search also indicates that I ought to pay more attention to The Wire.

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
I went and saw Ken Dodd in Worthing the other week, was expecting to see Harty there. He was absolutely brilliant. Anyone else from NSC attend? Show started at 19.15, got out at 00.15 the next morning. Value for money!!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Can any alternative jazz enthusiasts enlighten me of any appearing at this bill?
Thanks in advance

http://theoldmarket.com/shows/brighton-alternative-jazz-festival/

Nat Birchall is a wonderful saxophonist, very soulful and accessible. My brother is a huge fan, so much so that he friended him on Facebook, and Nat seems to be a good bloke. My bro is always sharing and promoting his music.

I don't know anything about the others, but will probably pop along to this.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Nat Birchall is a wonderful saxophonist, very soulful and accessible. My brother is a huge fan, so much so that he friended him on Facebook, and Nat seems to be a good bloke. My bro is always sharing and promoting his music.

I don't know anything about the others, but will probably pop along to this.

Great, as the Saturday starts before the Hull game finishes, I may well have my scarf on if I'm there!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here