Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Team for Tottenham - big changes?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Most of the team selects itself, but it's the forwards I worry about. Signing Ulloa and Locadia has actually backfired a little. Leo comes over as desperately unfit and looks like he's carrying a few extra pounds. Jurgen looks like he's being played out of position to give him some minutes, but instead he comes across a bit CKR.

I just wonder if we have dispensed with Hemed too soon. He proved his fitness and eye for goal in the International break and I'd certainly rather see him on the bench than Leo at the moment.

He was poor yesterday. But I remember him playing really well against Coventry when he started as central striker. Maybe we should play him where he plays best rather than make him into a winger with lot's of defensive responsibility

i think 5live radio called him a non entity when he was subbed. I agree though that we need to give him a chance to play in his natural position. CH should work on the assumption that we in reality are likely to lose playing the same tired players who have featured in the last 2 months and give a few a rest - i would like to see Locadia up front with Baldock (bless him - give him another chance) playing just behind. I would also start with AK - when he came on yesterday we came to life and he showed glimpses of last season.

Sir-Len

Oct 28, 2012
Berkshire
A slight reshuffle with the players we have reflecting Spurs line up of 4-2-3-1 might be prudent. Gross was played too deep yesterday to be effective. CH must feel without Propper we are more exposed. Playing Stephens and Kayal deeper would protect the back four more and allow Gross to play a more dynamic midfield role, dictating our play more.

Ryan

Schelotto Dunk Duffy Bong
Stephens Kayal
Knockeart Gross Izquierdo
Locardia

I’d give Locardia a chance upfront given the pace we’ll need to get behind the Spurs defence.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Agree with some on here re : Locadia. Not been impressed at all by his contributions - limited as they may have been. Yesterday he was awful but i accept playing out wide is not his posiion and I blame CH for making that call. I would though like to see him play upfront as part of a '2' striker set up possibly with Baldock. I'd bring AK back in as well as Bruno. Probably wishful thinkng as CH only ever wants to play 1 up front. Assuming we do survive I think a number of new acquistions will be required to make us more competitive next season.

I still have doubts about Ryan - poor yesterday for both Palace's opening 2 goals. He just doesn't fill me with any sort of confidence. A new centre half to replace Duffy who seems bang out of form at the moment. At least 1 new full back, an attacking midfielder (like Richard Carpenter from the Withdean days) and at least 1 proven striker.

I would love for us to be more bold next year and at HOME play with 2 strikers up front. AWAY from home I understand the need to be more cautious so am happy to go 4-5-1 of 4-3-3 but the reason Bournemouth (for example) have done ok these last 2 years is in my view is largely because they have the confidence and ambition to play 2 strikers regularly. Yes they let in a few but they also look like scoring in every game (10 more than us) - even at Liverpool they could have got a couple yesterday.

Bit of a rebuilding job required over the summer in my view.

Last edited:

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I'd like to see Bruno, Goldson, Knocky and Locardia (central).

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Agree with some on here re : Locadia. Not been impressed at all by his contributions - limited as they may have been. Yesterday he was awful but i accept playing out wide is not his posiion and I blame CH for making that call. I would though like to see him play upfront as part of a '2' striker set up possibly with Baldock. I'd bring AK back in as well as Bruno. Probably wishful thinkng as CH only ever wants to play 1 up front. Assuming we do survive I think a number of new acquistions will be required to make us more competitive next season.

I still have doubts about Ryan - poor yesterday for both Palace's opening 2 goals. He just doesn't fill me with any sort of confidence. A new centre half to replace Duffy who seems bang out of form at the moment. At least 1 new full back, an attacking midfielder (like Richard Carpenter from the Withdean days) and at least 1 proven striker.

I would love for us to be more bold next year and at HOME play with 2 strikers up front. AWAY from home I understand the need to be more cautious so am happy to go 4-5-1 of 4-3-3 but the reason Bournemouth (for example) have done ok these last 2 years is in my view is largely because they have the cofidence and ambition to play 2 strikers regularly. Yes they let in a few but they also look like scoring in every game (10 more than us) - even at Liverpool they could have got a couple yesterday.

Bit of a rebuilding job required over the summer in my view.

Bottom half teams with two strikers in a 442 lose in the PL. They get overloaded with everyone else playing 5 in midfield.

We need a quality striker with pace, supported by a CM or no10 also with pace breaking forward to support, as well as the wingers in the right moments,

CH has got the formation right. It's just that our team/squad is still partly Championship quality, with some slow players, hence the runs of loss after loss.

Ulloa not clicking when only on loan, has probably been a blessing. Saving transfer money for a better investment this summer. If we stay up!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that Ryan could and should have done better with 2 of the goals but see no reason to suggest that he should be dropped. MOTD summed us up Duffy and Dunk were chasing shadows as they had nobody to mark. and were lost,. We missed Propper and as a result our midfield was completely over run for the first 25 mins.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I wouldn't be surprised if that was the player selection (though doubt the switch to 4-4-2).

Doesn't Bong have issues with his knee that make playing three games in a week a bit of a stretch? Hughton was often swapping him out when we had that frequency of games earlier this season. Same thing with the ageing Murray. Can totally see Ulloa coming in for Murray, and Suttner for Bong.

Schelotto is a tough one. He got quite a bit of criticism in the radio commentary of yesterday games, but he was one of our biggest threats against Chelsea at home and arguably should have been awarded at least one penalty. Bruno hasn't played much so may not have the match sharpness needed and could be exposed. Besides, I don't like the idea of dropping someone because they have a bad performance.

We don't have a lot of options in the middle, and Hughton hasn't shown any comfort in a two man midfield when he doesn't have both Stephens and Propper. So he will probably go three in the middle with Stephens, Kayal and Gross.

Beyond that is where I think it's a little less predicatable. Would have to be a front three of Ulloa plus two others. Izquierdo is probably gonna start, so the third is either Knockaert, March or Locadia (I'd be inclined to go with Knockaert - though really, they all have periods where they go missing, and periods of impressive skills so I think people can make their own arguments for which one to go with).

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I wouldn't be surprised if that was the player selection (though doubt the switch to 4-4-2).

Doesn't Bong have issues with his knee that make playing three games in a week a bit of a stretch? Hughton was often swapping him out when we had that frequency of games earlier this season. Same thing with the ageing Murray. Can totally see Ulloa coming in for Murray, and Suttner for Bong.

Schelotto is a tough one. He got quite a bit of criticism in the radio commentary of yesterday games, but he was one of our biggest threats against Chelsea at home and arguably should have been awarded at least one penalty. Bruno hasn't played much so may not have the match sharpness needed and could be exposed. Besides, I don't like the idea of dropping someone because they have a bad performance.

We don't have a lot of options in the middle, and Hughton hasn't shown any comfort in a two man midfield when he doesn't have both Stephens and Propper. So he will probably go three in the middle with Stephens, Kayal and Gross.

Beyond that is where I think it's a little less predicatable. Would have to be a front three of Ulloa plus two others. Izquierdo is probably gonna start, so the third is either Knockaert, March or Locadia (I'd be inclined to go with Knockaert - though really, they all have periods where they go missing, and periods of impressive skills so I think people can make their own arguments for which one to go with).

Schelotto's number one job is to defend. Doing that is a bare minimum, attacking is a bonus.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Schelotto's number one job is to defend. Doing that is a bare minimum, attacking is a bonus.

Spouting meaningless phrases that don't account for the complexities of team games like football? "Attack is the best form of defence". This is fun.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
————————————Krul———————————
Schelotto———-Goldson————Dunk—————Bong
———————————Stephens—————————-

————————-Groß————-Kayal———————-
Izquierdo———————Baldock———————Locadia

Pace at the back and up top.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
The only good thing about this game is we are massive underdogs. Time to loosen the shackles and go all out attack as we know 3pts will surely see us safe! We did well against Spurs at Wembley until they scored with a cross, so we should have no fear.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Meanwhile, back in the real world, universal NSC condemnation of Schelotto's performance, again:

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?363339-Ratings-for-palace

Costing us goals conceded and losses, they say.

Yeah, because a bunch of Brighton fans upset that we lost to Palace, and looking over their shoulders at relegation are always going to be the best source of fair and balanced appraisals of the players responsible. Look here: http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?360652-Player-Ratings-Chelsea-(H) here are a some brighton fans (probably a few of the same ones) raving about him.

I'm not saying he has been great in the last two games (though I'm not sure he was noticeably worse than the rest of the team v Huddersfield, or that it is fair to put the blame for Duffy's poor performances on Schelotto - seems to be scapegoating to me), or that he shows the consistency we need to improve on our current position.

I'm saying swapping him out for Bruno isn't, for me, an easy decision. Bruno has played 20 league minutes since the middle of January. He won't be match sharp, is 37, was in the only side that lost to Alan Pardew's West Brom. Schelotto put in what many people in the link above described as a MOTM performance v chelsea, and then followed that up helping the team to a great February that won Hughton the manager of the month award, and won't be a guaranteed improvement.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I don't think that we will win another game this season and don't think that we will even get anything against Burnley.
We should be just about ok with the 35 points, but only because most of the teams below us are shit, thank goodness.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here