Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Hither Green 'burglar' stabbing: Man, 78, arrested

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
No they don't.

What? You're saying that every time the police ask someone what's happened, they first have to tell them that they have the right to legal advice? Nonsense.

No one said anything about free legal advice, the question was simply whether they were entitled to legal advice. If the police do not arrest you, but ask you questions, you are entitled to get legal advice before saying anything.

Further reading:
https://www.wellsburcombe.co.uk/solicitor-police-interview/

I may have missed the point - so apologies if that’s the case - but I had assumed we were talking about in the circumstances where the person is being questioned as a suspect. You can disregard almost everything I said if i’ve got the wrong end of the stick.

I kinda assume not given the link you’ve added as that entirely deals with interviews in a suspect capacity. That link is not applicable for witnesses.

But clearly - no - not everytime you ask witnesses etc what has happened you need to advise people that are able to get legal advice.

Last edited:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Going on that link, I don't see a 'battlefield', never the less I'll ask you this - Regardless of the circumstances, how would you react to someone tearing down tributes to someone you loved had died? Do you honestly think you'd react by saying, yeah he was a bit of a wrong 'un, fill your boots?

I certainly wouldn't put up a memorial outside the place where they were committing a crime. You can't just say "regardless of the circumstances" because there are a particular set of unusual circumstances here, he died while committing a crime against someone else.

At best, it's in bad taste to leave flowers outside the scene of the crime. IMHO this blokes' family are being deliberately provocative and intimidating.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But clearly - no - not everytime you ask witnesses etc what has happened you need to advise people that are able to get legal advice.
So how about when it's just a driving offence. Presumably that's different, but specifically in law, why?

And what about when the police aren't sure what's happened - say for example, a missing child - in those cases, if there's a lack of evidence, the parents and other friends/family come under suspicion, but at what point do the police have to officially change the way they treat those people? I'd guess that some officers might start to have suspicions, but they don't have to tell people their rights until they officially tell them they're a suspect?

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
I’ve a perfect ‘grip’ thanks. The deceased would seem to be a career criminal who preyed on the elderly. I’ve zero sympathy for him. It’s a huge leap from holding that view to actively revelling in the grief of his partner or his young children. That’s a pretty disgusting position to take. In my opinion.

Fine, I don't give a rats arse!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I’ve a perfect ‘grip’ thanks. The deceased would seem to be a career criminal who preyed on the elderly. I’ve zero sympathy for him. It’s a huge leap from holding that view to actively revelling in the grief of his partner or his young children. That’s a pretty disgusting position to take. In my opinion.

Yes, they're entitled to grieve, especially his kids who've lost their dad - I do feel sorry for them. I still hope the OB are keeping a 24 hour watch on the scum's latest lair, and are stopping and searching every vehicle that comes or goes, prosecuting for any weapons found, and impounding any vehicles which aren't fully taxed and insured. Make their lives a misery until they f*** off, and then make sure the same thing happens to them the next time they stop and infest some playing fields or other public space.
And, if there is any evidence of threats being made as has been suggested, arrest them for threatening behaviour or other public order offences.

Last edited:

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Having thought about it I would actually make sure those kids knew what a criminal they had for a Dad, teach them that a lack of consideration and empathy for others is a bad trait. Tell them that 'Daddy' was a 'bad man' and that they should go on a different direction. How about the 'mothers', the women of the whole clan decrying their men folks behaviour and criminality for a change? Sympathy, me? NO.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yes, they're entitled to grieve, especially his kids who've lost their dad - I do feel sorry for them. I still hope the OB are keeping a 24 hour watch on the scum's latest lair, and are stopping and searching ever vehicle that comes or goes, prosecuting for any weapons found, and impounding any vehicles which aren't fully taxed and insured. Make their lives a misery until they f*** off, and then make sure the same thing happens to them the next time they stop and infest some playing fields or other public space.
And, if there is any evidence of threats being made as has been suggested, arrest them for threatening behaviour or other public order offences.

No problem with that.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Yes, they're entitled to grieve, especially his kids who've lost their dad - I do feel sorry for them. I still hope the OB are keeping a 24 hour watch on the scum's latest lair, and are stopping and searching ever vehicle that comes or goes, prosecuting for any weapons found, and impounding any vehicles which aren't fully taxed and insured. Make their lives a misery until they f*** off, and then make sure the same thing happens to them the next time they stop and infest some playing fields or other public space.
You must have been drinking. No chance

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Having thought about it I would actually make sure those kids knew what a criminal they had for a Dad, teach them that a lack of consideration and empathy for others is a bad trait. Tell them that 'Daddy' was a 'bad man' and that they should go on a different direction. How about the 'mothers', the women of the whole clan decrying their men folks behaviour and criminality for a change? Sympathy, me? NO.

Teach them that a lack of empathy for others is a bad trait?

You seem a rather confused chap.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I get where you're coming from but these people, whether we like it or not, are grieving, they're probably not thinking rationally. That said, they probably don't think that burglary is 'bad' and in fairness it isn't so bad as rape or murder. Not condoning anything before people start, just trying to understand how they guys family and friends are thinking. I know the traveller community are not terribly popular right now but they are humans.....

Grieving, my arse. They are making a point - that they are ordinary criminal burgling folk and don't like being caught. He was a lovely dad, and only stole to feed his kiddies, and his drug and alchohol problem, and his avarice.

Who paid for all those flowers? Who stole them, more like.

I send my best wishes to all the poor local ******** who have to suffer the stink of the thieving chavs wafting about, trying to get a realty TV series on channel 5 by poncing about in fake grief.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Teach them that a lack of empathy for others is a bad trait?

You seem a rather confused chap.

Really? Look up the meaning of empathy!

empathy
ˈɛmpəθi/Submit
noun
the ability to understand and share the feelings of another.

i.e. Don't invade someone else or cause them distress. Is that difficult to understand? Lack of.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Thought I read somewhere that a whole bunch of their relatives are in the same 'business'. As for the mothers, don't you think they were enjoying the rewards of his endeavours?

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Thought I read somewhere that a whole bunch of their relatives are in the same 'business'. As for the mothers, don't you think they were enjoying the rewards of his endeavours?

Yep me too, it beggars belief that anyone would have sympathy for a criminal lineage. Yes, Lineage. Handed down by errant men and sub women.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
Grieving, my arse. They are making a point - that they are ordinary criminal burgling folk and don't like being caught. He was a lovely dad, and only stole to feed his kiddies, and his drug and alchohol problem, and his avarice.

Who paid for all those flowers? Who stole them, more like.

I send my best wishes to all the poor local ******** who have to suffer the stink of the thieving chavs wafting about, trying to get a realty TV series on channel 5 by poncing about in fake grief.

There were women on Victoria Derbyshire this morning claiming to return and put up more flowers, for as long as it takes, if residents continue to take them down. One wants people arrested because she paid good money for the flowers and they didn't come for free.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
It's not about Traveller connections. The public would equally despise these vermin whether they be anglo-saxon, black, whatever.

Clearly the vast majority within the Traveller commununity don't rob and intimidate the vulnerable very old.
Agree with what you say , if you deleted the 'dont rob' part of the last sentence.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Going on that link, I don't see a 'battlefield', never the less I'll ask you this - Regardless of the circumstances, how would you react to someone tearing down tributes to someone you loved had died? Do you honestly think you'd react by saying, yeah he was a bit of a wrong 'un, fill your boots?
I doubt he'd have put up tributes in the first place you clown,.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Shame the council don't take the 'tributes' down,like they did at Lee Rigby's site.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Bottom line is, a scumbag is off the streets. Couldn't care less about him. Do I feel sorry for his family? Do I ****. Those of you who 'feel sorry' for his family; do you go to bed at night tossing and turning thinking of them? No you don't. I hope his kids turn out to be decent adults. That is as much as I would say about them.

Floral tributes? I'd have watered them naturally.

I do care about Mr Osborn-Brooks and hope that he will be safe. He deserves to be safe and he done absolutely the right thing in protecting himself and his home.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here