Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Using Phone while driving

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
They have trackers in their vans so know exactly where it is and what speed it is travelling at . Failing that they should send a text please ring when not driving to the company issued phone. He fully accepts that within the terms of the law as explained to him he is bang to rights and should have just let it ring but that doesnt absolve the company from making the calls and placing his licence in jeopardy.

This is not bitching just a warning to others who may be caught in a similar situation. Just let the phone ring.

So everyone at the company he works for who might call him has access to real-time tracking ? Impressive stuff. Big brother has arrived.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I hate it most if my drinks bottle rolls off the passenger seat into the foot well

Always a mare trying to retrieve that at speed!

Agree. I had the smell of whisky in my car for weeks after this happened to me.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
So everyone at the company he works for who might call him has access to real-time tracking ? Impressive stuff. Big brother has arrived.

Not at all very simple answer, firms workers be told not to RING the company mobile send a text and the driver can pull over and ring them back after hearing the text tone.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Not at all very simple answer, firms workers be told not to RING the company mobile send a text and the driver can pull over and ring them back after hearing the text tone.

But he might waste valuable time by pulling over to read a PPI cold call text.

Unless you set the phone to have a different text notification sound when it's from the firm. A unique one.

Jan 30, 2008
Apparently there is a new law which came into affect in January which states that you can only take your hands off of the steering wheel to change gear, no other reason whatsoever.

My sons firm phoned him and he rejected the call as he was driving but he was observed by a roadside patrol who said they saw him reject the call but it is still illegal to take a hand away from the wheel. So he got a ticket.

He phoned his mate who is in rapid response for the Met and just been promoted to sergeant who told him the officer was correct and also a new law comes into affect soon, but he was not certain when, stating that the phone must not be on show but in a glove box.

I agree that they should not be used but I think the officer was pushing the limit especially as her saw him reject the call and also all firms should be compelled to have hands free fitted with steering wheel control if they are going to call their workers.
DON'T ANSWER THE PHONE :dunce:
regards
DR

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

You’ve lost me, what’s that got to do with tracking info ? Anyway, sending a text is barely any better - it’s still down to the person receiving it to choose what to do. Don’t touch the phone. Simple.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
So I cannot touch my stereo if it doesn’t have steering wheel controls? Also in slow moving traffic I drive one handed with the other hand on the gear stick to change up or down depending on how fast the traffic is moving. Struggle to see how I am going to get fined for that because otherwise I will be taking my hand on and off the steering wheel every few seconds or driving in the wrong gear most of the time.

Can I have a link to this “new” law because it sounds like a load of bollocks to me and I don’t believe it.

Could be an interpretation of this recent amendment to the Road Traffic Act: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/41D

There's legal blogs out there, where the authors are as confused as the lay public on these matters.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

But then the text will distract them as they'll want to read that. Its quite simple, don't touch your phone when driving even to reject a call. The onus is on the driver to use his/her common sense to ignore the phone until they are in a position to answer the call/text without breaking the law. Companies can have all the internal policies in place but it doesn't absolve the driver from their responsibility when in control of a motor car.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Your son was wrong BG... just accept that

I accept that and so does he but it seems to be pushing the law a little. When the paper work comes through he will obviously seek advice. I think the company should offer the services of the company solicitor as I believe that they were in the wrong for calling him while knowing he was driving to a job, which they may well do.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Just a minute, I have to pull over since I left my flies open. I don't want to get a citation for taking my hand off the steering wheel but I also don't want to get a citation for indecent exposure. What should I do?

In case you are wondering I am using voice to text software so I'm not typing this message.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Apparently there is a new law which came into affect in January which states that you can only take your hands off of the steering wheel to change gear, no other reason whatsoever.

My sons firm phoned him and he rejected the call as he was driving but he was observed by a roadside patrol who said they saw him reject the call but it is still illegal to take a hand away from the wheel. So he got a ticket.

He phoned his mate who is in rapid response for the Met and just been promoted to sergeant who told him the officer was correct and also a new law comes into affect soon, but he was not certain when, stating that the phone must not be on show but in a glove box.

I agree that they should not be used but I think the officer was pushing the limit especially as her saw him reject the call and also all firms should be compelled to have hands free fitted with steering wheel control if they are going to call their workers.

What was the offence listed on the ticket?

There has always been the driving without due care and attention offence, which pops up from time to time, where drivers are (rightly) convicted while eating a sandwich or an apple.

As regards the glove box, this currently forms part of the radio advert campaign to discourage using a mobile while driving, which suggest placing the mobile in the glove box.

Jan 30, 2008
Just a minute, I have to pull over since I left my flies open. I don't want to get a citation for taking my hand off the steering wheel but I also don't want to get a citation for indecent exposure. What should I do?

In case you are wondering I am using voice to text software so I'm not typing this message.
BUT VIEWING NSC ?
regards
DR

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I accept that and so does he but it seems to be pushing the law a little. When the paper work comes through he will obviously seek advice. I think the company should offer the services of the company solicitor as I believe that they were in the wrong for calling him while knowing he was driving to a job, which they may well do.

Stop digging fella. It’s his fault, 100%.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here