Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Huddersfield Town Vs Brighton & Hove Albion ***Official Match Thread***

thejackal

Throbbing Member
Oct 22, 2008
Brighthelmstone
thejackel are you mentally ill----another thumbsdown--------are you a #### or just acting like one

The last one was just for grins. The rest I really meant. Are you mentally ill?

Actually, that was flippant and not accurate.

I've honestly no idea If I've ever thumbed down one of your posts before but if I have it's definitely not personal. It's ok to disagree!

I did think it was quite funny to thumb down your comment about having your comment thumbed down but that's probably just my sorry, twisted sense of humour.

Either way, no offence was meant. It's only a thumb, like.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Ipswich away will be very tough so could do with a win on Saturday.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
We sat back tonight, conceded and when CH swapped Hemed for Ince on 62 mins that for me said Hughton has decided on giving up trying to change things to win the game and instead try to go defensive and hold on for the point. It worked today and we got the point, but I don't think Eddie Howe or Slavisa Jokanovic last season would do the same. They'd be trying to find a way to win the game rather than simply not lose it.

Or the Ince change meant we gained more possession in midfield and prevented us going 2-1 down, and the COG (who held it up well) and Murphy (a real threat) subs in the last 15 minutes refreshed the attack meaning we had 2 chances in the last 5 minutes where we almost nicked it. .In which case the subs were about ensuring we didn't concede and then actively trying to win it , in the last 10/15.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
They did not LIKE to settle for draws, Chailey ER jem. They drew less games than the rest. I'm not going to check. I'm right.

I've no idea if you can determine in any match if a team 'settled' for a draw but if you can then I guess your data must show that this is true for Bournemouth. So fair enough. PS: 7 other teams drew fewer games than Bournemouth last year.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Results and points are all that counts. 7 points from 3 games. Good start.

Indeed - And we don't even have what will eventually be our final squad in place yet. Hopefully we can hang on in along in the play off positions until we get to September and then we will know what our squad truly consists of.

Will be interesting to compare Murphy and Marshall on the same pitch on Saturday if they both play

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Three centre backs will stop Ipswich.

We should be going out to win all games. If it means we lose the odd one, so be it. Last night we lost 2 points by resting on our laurels. Last season we drew far too often and struggled with relegation due to a negative attitude. Yes we were lucky at Fulham but you make your own luck sometimes by putting in a shift till the fat lady sings.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
I've no idea if you can determine in any match if a team 'settled' for a draw but if you can then I guess your data must show that this is true for Bournemouth. So fair enough. PS: 7 other teams drew fewer games than Bournemouth last year.

I don't believe you.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I've no idea if you can determine in any match if a team 'settled' for a draw
You know what he means though, right? A manager can be cautious or bold, and each style has it's place. If you're going to get promoted from the Championship, it probably helps to be a bit more bold than cautious.

Indeed - And we don't even have what will eventually be our final squad in place yet.
But nor do the sides we're facing. We've got more to bring in, but so do most teams - Fulham are after a decent defender or two, and we took advantage of the fact they haven't got them yet.

I don't believe you.
He speaks the truth.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

http://performance.fourfourtwo.com/tactics/hughton-last-5-mins-and-you-need-a-goal

Not sure that I agree. Not sure if CH does it like this now?

I would say have a Plan B to change the system altogether and give the opposition a different sort of problem. I think Leicester under Pearson did this with Nugent a key man in one system and subbed sometimes for Plan B.

Last edited:

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Fulham are after a decent defender

Whhhaaaattt?

beaker-o.gif

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Yes, that's basically what it means.
Wow, that's weird. No one said that aiming to get a draw in away games is the same as scoring an own goal to make sure you only get a draw. You can set up with the plan to get a draw, or you can set up to go for the win, whilst accepting that may make you more vulnerable at the back.

Some managers are more cautious, some are reckless. Some will setup to get draws away from home. While they'll obviously take the wins when they get them, the idea to setup for a draw is an understandable one for many teams. For a team the wants to win promotion from the Championship, I don't think aiming to draw away from home is good enough, except when facing the best teams. If we had been away to Middlesbrough today, aiming for a draw would have been a good plan.

You are, literally, the only person I know who takes that cliche to mean "always be cautious and play for a draw away from home".

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
But as I said before. It's not about aiming to win home games, and only aiming to draw away games. It doesn't mean if you're entering the final minute and are a goal to the good you have to stick one in your own net just to get that draw, that's a ridiculously literal way to take it.

The sentiment behind "draw away, win at home" is perfectly innocuous. At its heart it's the same as aiming for "2pt per game average" that also gets thrown around as the aim for promotion, while acknowledging that (in theory) home games are expected to be easier to win due to home advantage.

Indeed. I believe an average of 2 pts per game is 96 points which basically means promotion.

This is why we love football, its so unpredictable but an average of 2 pts a game (however we get them) will mean we will be more than ok.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Healthy discussion after a very mild bit of disappointment given we were a goal up a nano second after the ref blew his whistle for kick off. Not a bad thing. Better than being delusional.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here