Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] NSC Chess Club

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
4-3 up against Bournemouth according to Pickles with just my 2nd game left. Have asked for the draw to get the victory ( won first game with him) but he’s so slow I’ll be back in July I suspect.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
4-3 up against Bournemouth according to Pickles with just my 2nd game left. Have asked for the draw to get the victory ( won first game with him) but he’s so slow I’ll be back in July I suspect.

Yes Questions. We are well aware of the significance of your game. No pressure mate. Dont know if you know it but there is half the general chit chat thread in our forum watching your game keenly. Hoping a takes the draw (though we have faith in you for the win but we arent mathematically safe for the win yet). You are also a candidate for our new MoM/MVP award for that game, sponsored by Battleman which you may win a trophy

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
My new opponent is involved in 77 matches at the moment. Absolutely ridiculous. It must be consuming his whole life..... oh!

I'm not really one to talk, I spend more time administering than playing too. That will hopefully change soon with some work opportunuties hopefully popping up

Good luck in your game, you have the slight edge to my relatively untrained eye. All the pressure will be on DTES whose games are tight as a badgers! We have surprised the DACCII lot.

Well I think I have about 15 on the go at a time as using other tournys for practice and treating them a bit like blitz games (that my excuse for my low rating ha). Pickles kinda told me my game wasnt at its tops so I am going for quality now rather than quantity.though playing lots of games has helped)

I only play my real best it appears, as do several others, when representing the stripes/NSC. I take those games incredibly seriously as well as watching some of the other games (BH-Albion, 1973...) to learn from, and encourage some of the newer players

Qarabagh game has started this morning. It's going to be a fierce affair across all 17 games.

It's been suggested we challenge Sussex uni. I may set that up as we have a free slot or two toward the end of the month and it will be a good non footy team to challenge. Perhaps we do that as an open (unrated even game) and play from the lowest board upwards. (just thinking aloud)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

That game is ridiculous: it started in mid-March.

I blame Eddie Howe

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
That game is ridiculous: it started in mid-March.

I blame Eddie Howe

Eddie OUT!
It's one of the more frustrating things, getting games completed due to a board or two still running, it just takes one player to delay a match for months, and there is nothing we can do about that (other than 24 or moves not 48 which being a footy team isnt a good idea IMO as Saturdays can be pretty much ruled out unless we want timeouts/everyone playing rat arsed)

It kind of makes it look like we have tons of matches on when in reality its more like a handful of games, so it becomes a pain in the arse know when to issue new challenges etc, we have to keep an eye on activity in current open matches. It can take a 14 board game 5 times quicker to finish than a 4 board one

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yes Questions. We are well aware of the significance of your game. No pressure mate. Dont know if you know it but there is half the general chit chat thread in our forum watching your game keenly.

Is there an NSC forum on Chess.com? I use NSC itself for chats about the game as I believe the comments under the match are seen by the opposition too. I like playing the games but I do find Chess.com to be a user-unfriendly site, it's a real pain to navigate.

As to other opponents: how about some cricket supporters' teams - we can wear our Sussex hats?

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Is there an NSC forum on Chess.com? I use NSC itself for chats about the game as I believe the comments under the match are seen by the opposition too. I like playing the games but I do find Chess.com to be a user-unfriendly site, it's a real pain to navigate.

As to other opponents: how about some cricket supporters' teams - we can wear our Sussex hats?

Err yes. There's global ones, then our section

No wonder hardly anyone replies to me lol.

Our club page with all the other bits and bobs on the right hand side
https://www.chess.com/club/brighton-and-hove-albion-nsc
Our fairly active forum, which includes a match day thread for each game away from prying eyes
https://www.chess.com/clubs/forum/brighton-and-hove-albion-nsc

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England

In fact I just posted this, and keep getting you and Glencvs a bit confused, as you just asked the same question. I wish we all had the same usernames on there

There is a team list (NSC username vs chess usernames), FIXTUREs thread and a whole heap of other bits of info. Do start threads if you want
Capture.JPG

If anymore NSCers want to come join us, even as a guest to see what it'd like please come over! [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION], @hwt, [MENTION=3362]Mr deez[/MENTION], [MENTION=35479]btnbelle[/MENTION] @anyonewhoisntpalace

Even if you have never played before its a good place to learn, there is easy to follow training available

And regarding challenging cricket teams, we sure can though I am not sure there will be many. Feel free to search,(search box on the right hand side in team) and post in the fixtures thread. Or I'll have a look. There's hundreds of footy teams from around the globe, they are much easier.

My thinking (up to you lot and Pickles) is that challenges to non Football sides should be ungraded, let me know, will pick it up over at chess.com

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Thanks for this.

I've seen that forum before but I only see it when I get an alert there's a new note - and it doesn't do it all the time (I'd not seen the River Plate thread before, for example)

I feel like I'm in the clique now :)

I'll look for some cricket teams

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
In fact I just posted this, and keep getting you and Glencvs a bit confused, as you just asked the same question. I wish we all had the same usernames on there

There is a team list (NSC username vs chess usernames), FIXTUREs thread and a whole heap of other bits of info. Do start threads if you want
View attachment 96513

If anymore NSCers want to come join us, even as a guest to see what it'd like please come over! [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION], @hwt, [MENTION=3362]Mr deez[/MENTION], [MENTION=35479]btnbelle[/MENTION] @anyonewhoisntpalace

Even if you have never played before its a good place to learn, there is easy to follow training available

And regarding challenging cricket teams, we sure can though I am not sure there will be many. Feel free to search,(search box on the right hand side in team) and post in the fixtures thread. Or I'll have a look. There's hundreds of footy teams from around the globe, they are much easier.

My thinking (up to you lot and Pickles) is that challenges to non Football sides should be ungraded, let me know, will pick it up over at chess.com

It's a long time since I have played. I was quite young at the time. I will take a look though. Thanks maffew.:smile:

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Welcome BTNBelle to our team! Our 40th member and first lady, any more for any more?

Resounding victory to get up to this morning. Another fantastic performance CRUSHING 8 of Italys finest, JUVENTUS

MoM for this one is Mr Snuggles AKA Battleman for consistent performing and punching well above his fat weight yet again, surely he is going to get found out soon, or will the unthinkable happen and Mutley ends up challenging for board 1 against the good players?

Where this win puts us I dont know, our position doesnt seem to have changed yet but with Bournemouth and Liverpool games drawing to a conclusion we are well on our way

Capture2.JPG

BMMoM.JPG

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:
::rave::rave::rave::rave::rave::rave::bhasign::bhasign::bhasign::cheery::cheery::cheery::cheery::cheery::cheery::cheery::cheery::albion::albion::albion::albion::albion::albion::albion::albion::ascarf::ascarf::ascarf::ascarf::ascarf::ascarf::ascarf::ascarf::ascarf::ascarf::ascarf::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Finally got my half in the Bournemouth game. How has it panned out now. I can’t get in the match through my ipad app. I play much better when it’s on behalf of our group/club. Will get back to old standings sooner or later though.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Finally got my half in the Bournemouth game. How has it panned out now. I can’t get in the match through my ipad app. I play much better when it’s on behalf of our group/club. Will get back to old standings sooner or later though.

Thank goodness that match has closed. Nearly 2 months on a 4 vs 4. Another NSC victory! And a very hard fought out slog it was, wont be in a hurry to challenge 'muff again. MoM performance for you pal

Great to see some matches getting closed off

Capture.JPG

Your pass for a vacation should you need it after that

SDMoM.JPG

And we are climbing up the world rankings pretty damn well, it gets tougher from here on in to move many places at a time, next stop top 2500 in the world?

WP.JPG

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Thanks for this.

I've seen that forum before but I only see it when I get an alert there's a new note - and it doesn't do it all the time (I'd not seen the River Plate thread before, for example)

I feel like I'm in the clique now :)

I'll look for some cricket teams

If you click on the little icon that looks like a speech bubble, then click clubs, then BHAFC NSC Albion, on the right hand side is all the stuff you can navigate to which is club related (forum, members etc). It takes a bit of getting used to, but has all the news and active games etc

You only get notifications for various things. A new forum post isnt one of them, unless it is a thread which you have already posted on. (So if we make a thread we want people to be aware of like FIXTURES or a Blitz tournament or something, we post a link in News so everyone gets a notification. It's got some ok features as a side feature one you get used to it, and you can paste/post your games in various formats. I quite like the animated gifs for short games. Shout if you need anything, and please anyone can start threads! The is no clique I hope, just the people that seem to know where stuff is! And have too much time on their hands

We post a match day thread for each game as opposed to commenting on the game itself, as (amongst other reasons) it's only viewable by our team not both

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I’ve beaten the Bournemouth snail...... hurray fecking hurray

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I can't see a match thread for the Ajax game but I'm having a couple of games against a very aggressive player. I sacrificed a rook for his bishop and knight and wondering whether I made a mistake. These are the most open games I've been in so far - I wouldn't expect a draw.

EDIT: Just spotted the thread ... d'oh

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I can't see a match thread for the Ajax game but I'm having a couple of games against a very aggressive player. I sacrificed a rook for his bishop and knight and wondering whether I made a mistake. These are the most open games I've been in so far - I wouldn't expect a draw.

Lets have a butchers it sounds a heck of a lot better than the sacrifice I made earlier against Barelona I thought it was a dead cert

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England

Well you'd know better than me however I reckon that at that stage of the game, notwithstanding the extra piece point you gained that his bishop and knight were much more of a threat than your little castle tucked away for the end game, advantage you I reckon in that one

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Well you'd know better than me however I reckon that at that stage of the game, notwithstanding the extra piece point you gained that his bishop and knight were much more of a threat than your little castle tucked away for the end game, advantage you I reckon in that one

Well, that's what I thought too. We shall see.

It's a good aggressive game though, a really interesting one

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here