Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Faustian pact comes unstuck.....

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
For me, and for many I know, modern football is indeed a Faustian pact: you suspend some of your core beliefs in order to keep supporting the club you love.

That's a sentiment I wholeheartedly agree with.

I was imagining the other day, that someone with mega money, say an oil rich Arab came in and took over, how would I feel?

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Apologies for not having been NAILED to this message board all afternoon: I was driving my 93 year old mother in law down from Northwich to spend Xmas and New Year with us. In my defence, I have logged in within half an hour of arriving home :)

The Faustian Pact has absolutely NOTHING to do with Tony Bloom, or indeed with BHAFC. We are indeed better than many in that regard. It refers to my personal dislike of modern football as embraced in England (and my great admiration for the German alternative, among others) I am Brighton till I die and NOTHING - not Archer, Bellotti and Stanley, not modern football, not silly swipes on a message board by fellow fans generated seemingly because of a dislike for me/my politics, and it always to be the same bunch, many of whom are very nice to my face :) - will change that. For me, and for many I know, modern football is indeed a Faustian pact: you suspend some of your core beliefs in order to keep supporting the club you love. But if you suspend those beliefs and accept corporate football, you expect the extremely highly paid individuals who preside over it to run it properly and to act when things are obviously going pear shaped. Some Premier League fans (and not just Premier either) have walked away and can now be seen at FCUM, 1874 Northwich, St Pauli, Clapton FC and a host of other places. I never will, although I will sometimes be seen at all those grounds when the Albion aren't playing. I think we nearly all agree that Hyypia and Burke need to go. I think we should do something about it.

And no, I don't read NSC that much. I am on the computer enough as it is organising my life and spreading ideas and compositions through social media. I shall not be posting any more poems on here, which will please many of you :) nor anything not Albion related: I have other avenues for that. But I will post occasionally, and I do read a bit. I am not 'above' anybody. I have no agenda at all apart from wanting the best for the club, and I am not 'bitter' on behalf of DK: he is big enough to fight his own battles and he has made mistakes too.

I just need "St Pauli" for all four corners :moo:

I've got the 3 corners too, but my 4th corner is "I've been very busy but just happened to notice my name mentioned in this thread".

:vuvu:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
This is a remarkably interesting first page of a thread. Although my politics are much closer to Attila's, HKFC has it on the first page.

Feb 14, 2010
you always did make me laugh Attilla! Leaving aside what you say, one of my favourite Albion moments is you with the fiddle/violin in the weststand after a pitch invasion. The rebellous mild anarchy of Brightons support used to be fun! Its gone really but thats not the clubs fault, its life. Kids play computer games and are just different. Not worse just different and that is a part of the change in the albion and football. The rebels have got old, the gulls eye years have gone, life moved on. But it was great wasnt it!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Apologies for not having been NAILED to this message board all afternoon: I was driving my 93 year old mother in law down from Northwich to spend Xmas and New Year with us. In my defence, I have logged in within half an hour of arriving home :)

The Faustian Pact has absolutely NOTHING to do with Tony Bloom, or indeed with BHAFC. We are indeed better than many in that regard. It refers to my personal dislike of modern football as embraced in England (and my great admiration for the German alternative, among others) I am Brighton till I die and NOTHING - not Archer, Bellotti and Stanley, not modern football, not silly swipes on a message board by fellow fans generated seemingly because of a dislike for me/my politics, and it always to be the same bunch, many of whom are very nice to my face :) - will change that. For me, and for many I know, modern football is indeed a Faustian pact: you suspend some of your core beliefs in order to keep supporting the club you love. But if you suspend those beliefs and accept corporate football, you expect the extremely highly paid individuals who preside over it to run it properly and to act when things are obviously going pear shaped. Some Premier League fans (and not just Premier either) have walked away and can now be seen at FCUM, 1874 Northwich, St Pauli, Clapton FC and a host of other places. I never will, although I will sometimes be seen at all those grounds when the Albion aren't playing. I think we nearly all agree that Hyypia and Burke need to go. I think we should do something about it.

And no, I don't read NSC that much. I am on the computer enough as it is organising my life and spreading ideas and compositions through social media. I shall not be posting any more poems on here, which will please many of you :) nor anything not Albion related: I have other avenues for that. But I will post occasionally, and I do read a bit. I am not 'above' anybody. I have no agenda at all apart from wanting the best for the club, and I am not 'bitter' on behalf of DK: he is big enough to fight his own battles and he has made mistakes too.

I have full respect for you Attila but by your own admission you use NSC intermittently so will probably be unaware to the extent the Sami debacle has provoked many people into questioning the running of this club, and Bloom's role in particular.

You can't "fly in" and start using terms like Faustian Pact and not expect people to take you more literally than you would like. These are emotive terms and the debate on here for the past month has Bloom under the microscope in a way we've never seen before.

It's bad when you lose a good manager, harder still when you lose a good chairman. Barber clearly reads NSC and tunes in to what the fans are saying, I'm damn sure he and Bloom know how pissed off the fans are, so it's important we're specific so we can move forward as a club.

Feb 14, 2010
you always did make me laugh Attilla! Leaving aside what you say, one of my favourite Albion moments is you with the fiddle/violin in the weststand after a pitch invasion. The rebellous mild anarchy of Brightons support used to be fun! Its gone really but thats not the clubs fault, its life. Kids play computer games and are just different. Not worse just different and that is a part of the change in the albion and football. The rebels have got old, the gulls eye years have gone, life moved on. But it was great wasnt it!

Ps I hope you read that as a compliment. I have never or hardly ever been proud of our team but growing up with our fans, gulls eye, and a poet with a fiddle always made me very glad I was a brighton fan. It was quite cool. You and Harty and al the gulls eye lads helped the albion keep support for a generation. It wasnt what you said it was the humour and passion in how it was said. I had friends who would read gulls eye and rarely go to games but younlot kept yheir interest far more than the jokers on the pitch ever did. So just a thank you from me and a few mates of mine to you, Harty and the rest of the guls eye boys. BTW Get the violin out for the millwall game, that really would be fantastic

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
I was imagining the other day, that someone with mega money, say an oil rich Arab came in and took over, how would I feel?

Chuffed, I hope. Money to burn on half a dozen twenty-goals-a-year strikers.
I mean, what else matters?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Chuffed, I hope. Money to burn on half a dozen twenty-goals-a-year strikers.
I mean, what else matters?
Doesn't it all become a bit meaningless though? Sure Chelsea and Manchester City fans seem to be happy but I'm pretty certain that at the back of their mind, they know their success is hollow, as does everyone else.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Whoa deep stuff.

Its all cyclical. We'll have a good season eventually, I can wait.

cyberleech

May 21, 2013
Err... I think I'll see what happens on Friday with Millwall. Anything but 3 points will be disastrous.

Precisely. And there's some right jealous bitches on NSC who just can't stand the fact that Attila, Harty, Samarah and co are and always will be remembered in the Albions history for saving the club; whilst they won't even make the footnotes. Despite their 1000 postings a week most of which is pathetic snidey nerdy ner ner stuff which is of course water off the back of those guys and girls.

Ouch :lolol:

True though. Was obvious Attila was having a pop at corporatised football not Bloom personally, but there is a breed of rich man licker on here who can't bear any debate on the matter.

Attila makes an interesting point about the faustian pact that makes even footballing lefties like him want to feed the crazy Sky Premiership capitalist cycle too - I'll admit to those contradictions as well.

Can I ask Attila does he feel the same way about St Pauli? They are having a terrible season and are stone last in Bunda 2.

That's not great for their fans obviously, but because they don't embrace corporatised football at least they don't feel BOTH disappointed AND ripped off by high prices.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Doesn't it all become a bit meaningless though? Sure Chelsea and Manchester City fans seem to be happy but I'm pretty certain that at the back of their mind, they know their success is hollow, as does everyone else.

Rex Cathedra's posts tend to be riddled with ambiguity. I interpret his overall position that he'd agree with you, and there was a heavy does of irony in the post you're responding to. But I remain unsure. I think he likes it that way.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
True though. Was obvious Attila was having a pop at corporatised football not Bloom personally.

Sorry, but that's plainly bollocks.

If there was no intent to pop at / belittle the contribution of Bloom, there is no way he'd have worded his comparison the way he did - "replaced the passion and commitment of Knight, with the money of Tony Bloom". But then you knew that, anyway.

Pretty much everybody at this stage is at least questioning Bloom's decision to persevere with Sami - that doesn't mean they are 'lickers' for pulling up the ungrateful snides choosing to attack his character or commitment to the club.

Correcting that slight, is all most on this thread are 'guilty' of. As you'll see from my response, I was quite clear that this was the ONLY part of Attilla's post that I didn't agree with.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here