Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gareth Thomas Documentary - Homophobia in Football

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I don't agree. It doesn't exist in my working environment and I know a number of openly gay colleagues. If anyone showed homophobic behavior or language they'd be out the door; we champion diversity and the benefits it brings from many different angles. My company might differ from others but it's a sure sign of progression.

but that's why it doesn't exist as it isn't allowed to exist as would lose jobs.

Maybe all places need to do this but it isn't fixing the problem , just masking it. Just because don't hear it doesn't mean not there

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I thought you worked from home?

I kind of work from home....but I do it in a co-working space these days. But, I was referring to my UK client.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
but that's why it doesn't exist as it isn't allowed to exist as would lose jobs.

Maybe all places need to do this but it isn't fixing the problem , just masking it. Just because don't hear it doesn't mean not there

My post was badly worded. There isn't a threat of dismissal hanging in the air, more the environment engendered top-down is one of mutual respect. And there is a lot of diversity within the staff which helps. We also have a lot of training regarding all manner of aspects of respect and understanding. I guess recruitment helps as well.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Because a lot of men always have the attitude that all women that play sport are gay.

I served in the Navy, and was a decent left winger at hockey, representing two of the bases where I worked, but didn't hear any lesbian accusations. Servicemen didn't hold back with their banter either.
Obviously I knew girls who were gay, but kept themselves to themselves.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
You obviously haven't understood the basics of the matter.

No-one is being precious. The documentary was about full-blown abuse.

In case you were wondering, there's a world of difference.

As I originally wrote, 'One day it will become........'.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Just a reminder this is on BBC 2 tonight at 10.30pm

GooGull

Aug 14, 2016
A very interesting program and he certainly exposed the deficiencies in football to deal with the matter.

And typical of the Palace fans to bottle a meeting with him to discuss their views.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
this

Homphobia is everywhere . Every working environment , restaurant , pub , daily life. A lot of people rightly or wrongly just will always be this way.

In many groups of lads , you hear one of the biggest insults they give out in anger , confrontation or baiting mates is to question their sexuality. (and this is in one the most tolerant contries in the world)

I don't think this will ever be sorted in our life times

You watch the Inbetweeners - using gay as a pejorative is a virtual constant on that show, I understand we are not supposed to sympathize or condone, and it's supposed to be yet another example of their awful behaviour, but I am amazed that it even gets aired these days. It's going to date very, very badly, and they have only recently made two full length movies of it.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
You watch the Inbetweeners - using gay as a pejorative is a virtual constant on that show, I understand we are not supposed to sympathize or condone, and it's supposed to be yet another example of their awful behaviour, but I am amazed that it even gets aired these days. It's going to date very, very badly, and they have only recently made two full length movies of it.

It's a comedy...

The idea of comedy being to poke fun at ludicrous things. Not take them seriously.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
It's a comedy...

The idea of comedy being to poke fun at ludicrous things. Not take them seriously.

You miss the point entirely my friend.

What I am saying is that the show mocks the speech of these lads, but the way it is broadcast raises questions as to whether that can be misinterpreted as condoning such dialogue, see Til Death us Do Part for further details.

The 'Neil's Dad' running joke, that may be a closeted homosexual (and that is not only a view of the lads but adults too) is going to seem very shocking and beyond the pale in a short number of years - mark my words.

About Homophobia Level N, on Paul Foot's scale, shall we say....

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Good, well-made and conceived documentary.

What the FA and Premier League/EFL don't seem to get is that given there is no doubt there are gay pro players in the UK who won't come out due to the expected levels of abuse, they have already failed. They haven't created the environment where a player feels able to do that, they know that, and Gareth Thomas is simply highlighting that fact.

Brighton as we all know are a lightning conductor for vile homophobic abuse, but it is also worth remembering that it is subtly different abusing (often straight) fans from a tolerant city, to directly abusing gay players and fans. Can a straight Brighton fan talk as meaningfully about the effects of homophobic abuse as someone who is actually gay? I'm not sure they can.

Timely programme, I think this could be a big issue this season, as fans of high-profile clubs we haven't played for a while may decide to join in. And it could be a very bad season for Palace in PR terms, their board must be dreading any more coverage like that.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
So why are the usual Palace morons missing from this thread? Is it far too grown up a topic for them?

Are they waiting for a thread where they can just spew their immature ramblings? My Palace boss at work here in Burgess Hill told me about this programme and how bad it showed up their fans. Then again, he's a decent bloke and has a brain.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
So why are the usual Palace morons missing from this thread? Is it far too grown up a topic for them?.

I'm afraid they are way too busy laying into each other on holmesdale.net.

They are well over 30 pages into bitching and knifing each other; it's hilarious.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
They are well over 30 pages into bitching and knifing each other; it's hilarious.

Great to hear although I would never go on there.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003

Christ, just had a look. Amazing infighting. You've got a worried bunch of fans there, who know the spotlight is on them this season and that their favourite form of bigotry may be about to be taken away - or at least have consequences for individuals/the club! Respect to the sensible ones standing up against the low-life.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here