Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Equal rights for old English people! (Non Londoners)

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
You live in Brighton, so talk to the fecking Greens. They want you to cycle everywhere, not ride on a gas guzzling bus. No bus pass for you!

So what can you expect to gain? Cheaper season ticket price, cinema entry and all sorts of other entertainment and public places would presumably be your main entitlement. Or does that also only happen at 66?

Labour run Brighton

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
A few days ago I turned 60. Obviously now my slow slide towards decrepitude and death will accelerate considerably, and I was rather hoping to get some freebies to take my mind off it. With that in mind I thought I'd try and get a free bus pass, and I discovered the following iniquitous inequality. In Scotland: you get a bus pass when you're 60. In Wales: you get a bus pass when you're 60. In Northern Ireland: you get a bus pass when you're 60. In London: you get a bus pass when you're 60. In Brighton .... you've got to wait until you're sixty ****ing six!

Where's the justice in that? How long are we English OAPs going to be treated as second-class UK citizens? Why does Brighton hate old people?

I'm off to man the barricades just as soon as I've been to the lavatory. If someone could bring me some cheese sandwiches and a nice flask of tea that would be great.

Don't foget that in London free transport for over 60s is not just buses but includes tube etc. So far more of a perk in London than just 6 years earlier.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Don't foget that in London free transport for over 60s is not just buses but includes tube etc. So far more of a perk in London than just 6 years earlier.

Unless there has been a change recently there is a two tier system in London. The over 60 scheme is confined to free travel only in the TFL area and there is a second tier which matches the National Scheme allowing use throughout England.

I believe Brighton & Hove free passes allow travel after 0900 whereas East & West Sussex is only after 0930 on weekdays.

It all depends on what the Local Authority is prepared to pay for.

Incidentally the Irish Republic Scheme also allows free travel on their rail system.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
this is a consequence of devolution isnt it? the government free bus is from retirement age, then devolved governments or councils can offer free travel to lower age groups on thier budget.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
You live in Brighton, so talk to the fecking Greens. They want you to cycle everywhere, not ride on a gas guzzling bus. No bus pass for you!

Good to see 2017 and all current affairs has passed you by.

1. The Greens aren't in control of the city.
2. Lots of people want people to cycle everywhere, not just Green voters.
3. The buses are being converted to hybrid and/or electric, and some are even solar powered.
4. Brovion, not for the first time, is blaming national policy on local government. And so are you.

Aside from that, outstanding.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

So what can you expect to gain? Cheaper season ticket price, cinema entry and all sorts of other entertainment and public places would presumably be your main entitlement. Or does that also only happen at 66?

Apparently I can get into the Brighton Museum free! Now all I've got to do is get there ...

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Good to see 2017 and all current affairs has passed you by.

1. The Greens aren't in control of the city.
2. Lots of people want people to cycle everywhere, not just Green voters.
3. The buses are being converted to hybrid and/or electric, and some are even solar powered.
4. Brovion, not for the first time, is blaming national policy on local government. And so are you.

Aside from that, outstanding.
Well if it's a national policy - how come it isn't applied nationally? Why the regional discrepancies? And what else have have I wrongly blamed on local government?

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Good news, Swansea away you'll get old farts discount but the Welsh won't going to the Amex!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Well if it's a national policy - how come it isn't applied nationally? Why the regional discrepancies?

Transport policy across the UK is set by the respective devolved governments. So transport policy in England is set by Westminster, who have decided that the national bus pass age is (at present) 60 in London, and 66 across the rest of England.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-elderly-person-bus-pass

And what else have have I wrongly blamed on local government?

You've also whined about the council when you've been on about the costs of travelling on buses in Brighton & Hove, as if they have any meaningful say. They don't.

And if you go to Croydon they even have trams! Probably not really worth going to Croydon just for that, or perhaps even going there at all.

Transport policy across the UK is set by the respective devolved governments. So transport policy in England is set by Westminster, who have decided that the national bus pass age is (at present) 60 in London, and 66 across the rest of England.

You've also whined about the council when you've been on about the costs of travelling on buses in Brighton & Hove, as if they have any meaningful say. They don't.
The English National Concessionary Travel Scheme was introduced after the London scheme. It didn't replace the London scheme, and therefore the London scheme's age limits didn't change in London. What the English National Scheme did for London was extend the validity of the London bus pass to the whole of England (but to make England-wide validity subject to the same age rules as apply to the English National scheme).

The English National scheme sets an age limit which is identical to the age at which women become eligible for the national senior citizens' retirement pension.

Funding of travel concessions is the responsibility of the Council in whose area the travel takes place. Brighton & Hove City Council therefore pays for all free travel made on buses that run in the city, whether or not the holder of the bus pass lives locally or elsewhere in England. In a city that attracts a lot of visitors, this is a burden on local Council Tax payers that isn't felt in areas that don't get tourists. This extra burden acts as a disincentive for the City Council to be more flexible in applying such discretion as the law allows.

Before the introduction of the English National scheme, the operation of bus passes was entirely at the discretion of local district and borough councils. My job at East Sussex County Council included the development and introduction of a Sussex-wide scheme that allowed concessionary travel throughout East Sussex, West Sussex and Brighton & Hove.

Last edited:

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
A few days ago I turned 60. Obviously now my slow slide towards decrepitude and death will accelerate considerably, and I was rather hoping to get some freebies to take my mind off it. With that in mind I thought I'd try and get a free bus pass, and I discovered the following iniquitous inequality. In Scotland: you get a bus pass when you're 60. In Wales: you get a bus pass when you're 60. In Northern Ireland: you get a bus pass when you're 60. In London: you get a bus pass when you're 60. In Brighton .... you've got to wait until you're sixty ****ing six!

Where's the justice in that? How long are we English OAPs going to be treated as second-class UK citizens? Why does Brighton hate old people?

I'm off to man the barricades just as soon as I've been to the lavatory. If someone could bring me some cheese sandwiches and a nice flask of tea that would be great.

That,s because of councils simply have to pay for something that as usual never been thought out long term.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Lord/B the half fare scheme was by far the best,you are now getting Free Travel holders making one stop journeys because they have a pass. Tell them that journey will be 70p 'oh i walk instead i am not paying that'.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek

Move to Stoke-on Toilet everyone seems to have one,Seriously.

That,s because of councils simply have to pay for something that as usual never been thought out long term.

When it comes to bus passes, though, it's not the responsibility of councils to do the thinking. It's a matter for the devolved governments in Edinburgh, Cardiff, Belfast and (in England) Westminster.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
I always find it hilarious when the elderly complain about how 'hard' they get it. Never mind the enormous amount of national debt, lack of social housing, stagnant wages and high property prices us younger lot have to face.

You can't get a bus pass until you're 66.

Unlucky, geezer. I really feel for you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here