Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Peregrine falcon seen at the Amex

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
According to the RSPB (as US seems in no hurry to check, there are around 570,000 breeding pairs of puffins in the UK. Not, as far as I'm aware, in a zoo.

Top spots for colonies include the Farne Islands, Shetland, Orkney, North Yorkshire coast, Anglesey and (I think) Lundy Island.
Yes, the ones I saw were in the Highlands somewhere I think, can't remember precisely where as it was a good while ago.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Found the puffins yet, US?

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
I saw this today!! So glad this thread has been started and even better that you got a pic. I actually saw it flying over the ground during the Bournemouth game as well. I know the ones from Sussex Heights have been regular visitors to the Downs (they are ringed) so perhaps it is them.

It is 100000% not a Buzzard - they are far bigger. A Merlin goes the other way; it only has a wingspan of 56cm and a length of 28cm. They are quite tiny in comparison.

T.G

Mar 30, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Literally just as half time whistle blew one landed on the big white support in WSU that sticks out above D block.

Can't see if it has jesses on or not but if it's a wild one it is an important landmark and mile stone for our stadium!!!

Saw a Peregrine flying around at the Bournemouth game. Looked like a wild bird to me. The one in the picture looks like a male.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Ooh I thought I saw something bigger than normal, that explains it.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
According to the RSPB (as US seems in no hurry to check, there are around 570,000 breeding pairs of puffins in the UK. Not, as far as I'm aware, in a zoo.

Top spots for colonies include the Farne Islands, Shetland, Orkney, North Yorkshire coast, Anglesey and (I think) Lundy Island.

Yep - and plenty of the buggers on Skomer Island in Pembrokeshire last time I looked.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I was in WSU today and saw something fly up at halftime that looked a little unusual but was busy talking to my son as we headed for the concourse. I'm well pissed off now that i didn't look closer, i can talk to him anytime :annoyed:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I'm not sure about football grounds but many cricket grounds have a resident bird of prey on site. This is to scare off the smaller seed eating birds who eat the grass seed.

We have two pitches at my home ground - Wellington CC (Shropshire) - and the local bird man [Fins & Feathers] brings one of his Kestrels down every day to exercise / fly around our grounds - sure this help with grass seed consumption in the summer.

Not sure if the Amex are in the business of putting down grass seed that often, esp this time of year - but just a thought.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Literally just as half time whistle blew one landed on the big white support in WSU that sticks out above D block.

Can't see if it has jesses on or not but if it's a wild one it is an important landmark and mile stone for our stadium!!!

Well spotted

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here