Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] England vs India First Test - Edgbaston

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
There are tickets available for the first 3 days of the Thursday starting 2nd test at Lords at next week. It wasn't that long ago most test matches at Lords were ticket ballot, let alone sell outs, and certainly not able to get a ticket for the first 3 days a week before the match.

That depended on the opponent, surely. Australia: clearly. I don't remember Test matches against (say) New Zealand or Sri Lanka being the hottest ticket in town.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
There are tickets available for the first 3 days of the Thursday starting 2nd test at Lords at next week. It wasn't that long ago most test matches at Lords were ticket ballot, let alone sell outs, and certainly not able to get a ticket for the first 3 days a week before the match.

Interesting, that is a surprise.

Personally I've never really liked Lords very much. Half the crowd are only there for the social occasion, I always feel like I'm in the middle of a posh boys' day out!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
That depended on the opponent, surely. Australia: clearly. I don't remember Test matches against (say) New Zealand or Sri Lanka being the hottest ticket in town.

I'm talking historically really, not just comparing the last few years. When I went regularly year on year, most tests sold out, you entered a ballot year on year. WI have completely ignored test cricket, but back in 2000 when on the second day we saw 20 wickets in a day, it was still a sell out. Year on year the demand for tickets have subsided. Australia, South Africa, India, Pakistan – all premium touring sides. I remember Aravinda De Silva's knock against England in 2002 as it was the one time I got to sit with the members to a sell out crowd for Sri Lanka. Lords tests have always been the hottest ticket in cricket.

You are right, you don't remember selling out against NZ or SL because it has been a while since they did. A steady decline. It will only get worse in my opinion unless changes are made. We will start to lose the generations where say bored out of your mind for an entire day with nothing much happening actually meant something - because it was all the more reason to go again.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
I'm talking historically really, not just comparing the last few years. When I went regularly year on year, most tests sold out, you entered a ballot year on year. WI have completely ignored test cricket, but back in 2000 when on the second day we saw 20 wickets in a day, it was still a sell out. Year on year the demand for tickets have subsided. Australia, South Africa, India, Pakistan – all premium touring sides. I remember Aravinda De Silva's knock against England in 2002 as it was the one time I got to sit with the members to a sell out crowd for Sri Lanka. Lords tests have always been the hottest ticket in cricket.

You are right, you don't remember selling out against NZ or SL because it has been a while since they did. A steady decline. It will only get worse in my opinion unless changes are made. We will start to lose the generations where say bored out of your mind for an entire day with nothing much happening actually meant something - because it was all the more reason to go again.

Are you a member? If not, how did you do this?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
50 for Root. Hopefully, he'll convert this to a magnificent ton.

Jimmy Grimble

I was thinking of going tomorrow in the Hollies stand but £60 for a ticket put a halt on that thought.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Are you a member? If not, how did you do this?

I'm not, but at the time my Grandad's mate was, but couldn't go so me and my Grandad had the roaming members tickets. Not accessible to the pavilion, but we sat in the Allen Stand for most of the day, and went to the old Warner Stand for a session. Really sticks in my memory as the seats were great, and Avarinda was the first batsmen I had seen live bat about 2m out of his cease. I loved his batting from the TV, but that first time live I was in awe.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
I'm not, but at the time my Grandad's mate was, but couldn't go so me and my Grandad had the roaming members tickets. Not accessible to the pavilion, but we sat in the Allen Stand for most of the day, and went to the old Warner Stand for a session. Really sticks in my memory as the seats were great, and Avarinda was the first batsmen I had seen live bat about 2m out of his cease. I loved his batting from the TV, but that first time live I was in awe.

Ah I forgot about the Rover Tickets! Yeah they offer some great views (especially with the new stands being built). I much prefer sitting behind the boxers arm if I can but the Edrich and Compton stands are shocking at Lords. It can't come soon enough when they are replaced.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Ah I forgot about the Rover Tickets! Yeah they offer some great views (especially with the new stands being built). I much prefer sitting behind the boxers arm if I can but the Edrich and Compton stands are shocking at Lords. It can't come soon enough when they are replaced.

Ben Stokes?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
A day at the test, a Twitter thread (on-going)...

[TWEET]1024604740716556289[/TWEET]

Jimmy Grimble

£29 adult ticket in other areas pay on the gate I think they've just announced.

It is but if I'm going to Edgbaston for the day I want to be in the Hollies stand!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Root bingo.

I'm going for 94

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Wtf were they doing