Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
JCB are exported and manufactured all over the world, so don't they know what opportunities exist outside of the European Union.

For diggers I guess he does.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Well he might know his own market better and of course Brexiter Minford didn't say that every last manufacturer would go, merely that most would. It's a prospect that shouldn't concern us apparently.

All is ok LI, May has said Brexit will be red white and blue. In a couple of years this will need to be defined as red and white but two out of three is ok

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You may be disappointed. The pre-referendum view of Patrick Minford, professor of macroeconomics at Cardiff and a leading light in the pro-Brexit Economists for Britain group, was that the hard Brexit/WTO course now favoured by leading ministers (and him) would see 'the virtual elimination of British manufacturing but that this needn't worry us'. Our new future beckons.
To put Patrick Minford into perspective, 35 years ago he was an avid supporter and apologist for Thatcher's 'Destroy all manufacturing industry' policy. She even wrote him a letter of thanks for his contribution. Frankly, I doubt if many of us leavers actually want him on our side!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Instead of teaching these young kids the importance of being able to stand on their own two feet in life it has taught them to be totally reliant on the state. state welfare, care, the whole bloody lot !!! .
With these set of beliefs installed in to their tiny little minds can you wonder why they form such warped opinions. ?

I think you will find that most people who left university with a degree are in full employment, and not only in full employment but do not require tax credits to up their pay.

They also have the intelligence to know and understand what is going on in the world, rather than wanting to close the door and hide under the bed and avoiding meeting anyone from the next town

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Dear oh dear, listen to yourself.

I think we would all rather listen to [MENTION=21314]Raleigh Chopper[/MENTION] than some of the leaving goons who are just providing evidence that the demographic of those who voted leave is very accurate.

D

Deleted member 22389

I think you will find that most people who left university with a degree are in full employment, and not only in full employment but do not require tax credits to up their pay.

They also have the intelligence to know and understand what is going on in the world, rather than wanting to close the door and hide under the bed and avoiding meeting anyone from the next town

My wife has a degree, she voted Leave, she got made redundant last year, she got a years contract somewhere else but when that finished we will be back at square one again, and that had nothing to do with Brexit.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Where we start?, well I find it amazing that even the card reader for accessing my bank is imported from China. Why didn't my bank seek a manufacturer in the UK for the plastic moulding and circuit boards. Yes I know one is the money aspect, but if it cost a quid more to manufacture it would provide more valuable jobs for people in this country, everyone is a winner in the end. Large Companies should seek the same parts in the UK, that they would usually import from china, if it doesn't exist get together with the government to make it exist. On Brexit it is simply being able to control labour coming especially in any manufacturing jobs we have. Over the years lots of manufacturing companies have resorted to using agencies, that in my opinion has driven down wages due to the numbers. Minimum wage for a welder is a piss take.

But don't we want trade deals with China, or are we now looking to be totally isolated and self sufficient so we don't have to deal with any foreigners

D

Deleted member 22389

But don't we want trade deals with China, or are we now looking to be totally isolated and self sufficient so we don't have to deal with any foreigners

What is wrong in trying to build a solid manufacturing base in this country, products manufactured in the UK and sold in the UK, so it's benefits our economy? Why is that such a bad thing.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
What is wrong in trying to build a solid manufacturing base in this country, products manufactured in the UK and sold in the UK, so it's benefits our economy? Why is that such a bad thing.

Because it's not 1935. In or out of the EU, Britain has to exist in a global economy with global products, global companies and global interests. A government would have to be extremely naive or extremely dominant (see N Korea) to believe that it is possible to manage it's own economy, people and immigration regardless of what else is happening in the world.

D

Deleted member 22389

Because it's not 1935. In or out of the EU, Britain has to exist in a global economy with global products, global companies and global interests. A government would have to be extremely naive or extremely dominant (see N Korea) to believe that it is possible to manage it's own economy, people and immigration regardless of what else is happening in the world.

I understand we will never be the industrial power house like we where years ago, but I think companies should look closer to home wherever possible.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
I understand we will never be the industrial power house like we where years ago, but I think companies should look closer to home wherever possible.

I agree completely, but a national government no longer has sufficient control over it's economy to allow them to effect this. Make no mistake, once we have negotiated our exit and put in place our imports and immigration controls, if we maintain the economic growth of the last few years we will continue to import goods and people at a very similar rate.

The British Government is not in control of the economy, but can affect it dependant on how it reacts to those global powers, economies and interests.

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 22389

I agree completely, but a national government no longer has sufficient control over it's economy to allow them to effect this. Make no mistake, once we have negotiated our exit and put in place our immigration controls, if we maintain the economic growth of the last few years we will continue to import goods and people at a very similar rate.

The British Government is not in control of the economy, but can affect it dependant on how it reacts to those global powers, economies and interests.

I understand, it just feels sometimes we have thrown in the towel over manufacturing.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
I understand, it just feels sometimes we have thrown in the towel over manufacturing.

There is no doubt that as a nation we have thrown in the towel on manufacturing to a degree, and put most of our investment into becoming a services supplier to the world. However this has always happened regionally (Shipping, Mining, Cotton, Rail, Financial Services, etc etc). We just have to recognise that this now happens on a national or international scale and this isn't going to change anytime soon.

It's a simple result of worldwide development over the last 100+ years. 100 years ago most people were born, lived and died in a very small geographical area and focused all their interests around that. In 100 years time it's possible that most people will move globally. (And we'll still be top of the championship)

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 22389

There is no doubt that as a nation we have thrown in the towel on manufacturing to a degree, and put most of our investment into becoming a services supplier to the world. However this has always happened regionally (Shipping, Mining, Cotton, Rail, Financial Services, etc etc). We just have to recognise that this now happens on a national or international scale and this isn't going to change anytime soon.

It's a simple result of worldwide development over the last 100+ years. 100 years ago most people were born, lived and died in a very small geographical area and focused all their interests around that. In 100 years time it's possible that most people will move globally. (And we'll still be top of the championship)

Lol, we never make things easy

brighton fella

Mar 20, 2009

From my experience the majority shy away from hard collar and at any given cost . take on board snobbish attitudes, the usual ones.... "i deserve better but shouldn't have to put in the graft for it" "that job is to degrading for someone as bright as me" "i am better than you because i went to university"

The lads who've made it through and actually done something with their lives appear not to have come through the system, in fact many have come from nothing. left school at the age of 16, got a job and never looked back since. they may have not have been as academically bright but most definitely made up for it in other ways such as plain common sense and the drive to actually make something of themselves.
Being academically minded and having a IQ of 145 doesn't automatically qualify you success, it about a lot more than that. and this snobbish attitude that they have come to adopt isn't helpful to them either.

Now if you don't mind i want to celebrate England bashing the Jocks and England leaving the EU.:clap2::clap2::clap2::banana::banana::banana::drink::D

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Who is questioning this?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
From my experience the majority shy away from hard collar and at any given cost . take on board snobbish attitudes, the usual ones.... "i deserve better but shouldn't have to put in the graft for it" "that job is to degrading for someone as bright as me" "i am better than you because i went to university"

The lads who've made it through and actually done something with their lives appear not to have come through the system, in fact many have come from nothing. left school at the age of 16, got a job and never looked back since. they may have not have been as academically bright but most definitely made up for it in other ways such as plain common sense and the drive to actually make something of themselves.
Being academically minded and having a IQ of 145 doesn't automatically qualify you success, it about a lot more than that. and this snobbish attitude that they have come to adopt isn't helpful to them either.

Now if you don't mind i want to celebrate England bashing the Jocks and England leaving the EU.:clap2::clap2::clap2::banana::banana::banana::drink::D

Lads? Somewhat of a sexist comment given the number if succesful businesswomen.

I also don't share your experience of graduates as all those that I am aware of are hardworking and progress due a combination of drive work ethic intelligence ability to quickly pick up new concepts etc.

brighton fella

Mar 20, 2009
Lads? Somewhat of a sexist comment given the number if succesful businesswomen.

I also don't share your experience of graduates as all those that I am aware of are hardworking and progress due a combination of drive work ethic intelligence ability to quickly pick up new concepts etc.

Sexist ?? i was merely pointing out my own experience no one else's.
Again it is this obsessive branding people as racist sexist etc when they actually aren't which really infuriates me, there is absolutely no need for it... another non helpful attitude to be taught in our universities.
Seriously you cant get the staff these days. :nono:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here