Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sheffield Wednesday match report

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I know most of the long-form writing escapes people's attention, which is a shame.

So a plug for the match report from yesterday...

"On St Valentine’s Day in Yorkshire, the Albion and Sheffield Wednesday treated their respective supporters to the footballing equivalent of some out-of-date Matchmakers and a bunch of wilted carnations from a petrol station. The Seagulls’ misfiring strikeforce continued the theme of the day by serving up a score of - in tennis terms at least - love. Again."

Read it here: http://www.northstandchat.com/content.php?445-Sheffield-Wednesday-v-Albion-14

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Who penned this ?

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Ok, I'm going to be pedantic here. There are loads of errors in this. Starting from the first break which was down our right hand side and the Wednesday player was bloody lucky not to stick it in his own net. When Tex missed the one on one, the referee had blown up long before for a foul by Tex. The two chances that Wednesday had were after the 20th minute and both were due to Tex not giving Bennett the support he should have had with an overlapping full back.
When Calderon broke free in the second half he had no one near him to pass to, but yes, his shot was weak.
The first shot by the Wednesday, big lump forward was blocked and flew over the bar. Yes, the second shot was a bad miss but throughout the game our defenders threw themselves in front of every chance that Wednesday had.
The pitch was atrocious but both teams went for it and it made quite an entertaining game. We also had periods of play when we did try some shorter passing but frankly to have done too much would have been suicide on a pitch like that.

Plus, two key points were missed. Tex throwing himself to the ground every time he thought he might get a penalty and then the trip on Baldock as he ran into the box with just the goalie to beat. It was either an accidental trip (unlikely) or a foul, penalty and straight red. With around ten minutes to go this was the defining moment.

However frustrating it is to see us draw another blank, we can't overlook the fact that the players gave it absolutely everything. I saw three players at the final whistle sink to the ground exhausted. At the very least we can conclude that the players are right behind Hughton and the drive to stay up.

Other than that, I thought it was an ok article.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Ok, I'm going to be pedantic here. There are loads of errors in this.

:lol:

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Ok, I'm going to be pedantic here. There are loads of errors in this. Starting from the first break which was down our right hand side and the Wednesday player was bloody lucky not to stick it in his own net. When Tex missed the one on one, the referee had blown up long before for a foul by Tex. The two chances that Wednesday had were after the 20th minute and both were due to Tex not giving Bennett the support he should have had with an overlapping full back.
When Calderon broke free in the second half he had no one near him to pass to, but yes, his shot was weak.
The first shot by the Wednesday, big lump forward was blocked and flew over the bar. Yes, the second shot was a bad miss but throughout the game our defenders threw themselves in front of every chance that Wednesday had.
The pitch was atrocious but both teams went for it and it made quite an entertaining game. We also had periods of play when we did try some shorter passing but frankly to have done too much would have been suicide on a pitch like that.

Plus, two key points were missed. Tex throwing himself to the ground every time he thought he might get a penalty and then the trip on Baldock as he ran into the box with just the goalie to beat. It was either an accidental trip (unlikely) or a foul, penalty and straight red. With around ten minutes to go this was the defining moment.

However frustrating it is to see us draw another blank, we can't overlook the fact that the players gave it absolutely everything. I saw three players at the final whistle sink to the ground exhausted. At the very least we can conclude that the players are right behind Hughton and the drive to stay up.

Hello there. I write half of these (pretty much all the home matches) and a 'colleague' writes the others (the more amusing ones). We are both NSC regulars, but choose not to put our usernames to the reports. As a loose rule, what we try to do is capture the essence of the day out / game, from a fan's point of view, rather than a dry analysis of the game, purely from a footballing perspective. We figured from the outset that if that if we did that we'd just be duplicating what is already available in the Argus, on the BBC site and the club site, etc.

We hope that a few people enjoy them. :thumbsup:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Hello there. I write half of these (pretty much all the home matches) and a 'colleague' writes the others (the more amusing ones). We are both NSC regulars, but choose not to put our usernames to the reports. As a loose rule, what we try to do is capture the essence of the day out / game, from a fan's point of view, rather than a dry analysis of the game, purely from a footballing perspective. We figured from the outset that if that if we did that we'd just be duplicating what is already available in the Argus, on the BBC site and the club site, etc.

They're great, and much appreciated.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester

I've read quite a few and think they are good. However, this weekend I've got fairly pissed off by the negativity around our performance on Saturday. We are in a relegation fight and yet I thought we equipped ourselves well on Saturday and I was really impressed with the team's desire to get a result. It was a difficult pitch but the performance was loads better than the dire display against Blackpool on a similar pitch.
So you just caught me in a bad mood about the general negativity around the display. If we fight like we did on Saturday and give every game until the end of the season the same application, then we'll be playing in the Championship next season.
Regarding the pre match atmosphere, the half time entertainment, the facilities in Hillsborough, it was like going back 20/30 years. You caught this part of the afternoon very well.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Regarding the pre match atmosphere, the half time entertainment, the facilities in Hillsborough, it was like going back 20/30 years. You caught this part of the afternoon very well.

Far from the worst old ground out there though, even if it is a bit dated. A steward told me when I walked in (he must have seen my gobsmacked expression when I first clocked the state of the pitch) that it's been in a poor state ever since the river adjacent to Hillsborough flooded the area about three years ago. He said the water reached up to the third row of seats. Not surprising that the grass gives up the ghost every winter then.

I thought the game was reasonably entertaining myself, despite long periods of ineptitude. They worked their socks off, in the main, and were easily worth the draw. I even came away feeling alright about it, given that my previous visits to Hillsborough have all ended with defeats.

Far from the worst old ground out there though, even if it is a bit dated. A steward told me when I walked in (he must have seen my gobsmacked expression when I first clocked the state of the pitch) that it's been in a poor state ever since the river adjacent to Hillsborough flooded the area about three years ago. He said the water reached up to the third row of seats. Not surprising that the grass gives up the ghost every winter then.

I thought the game was reasonably entertaining myself, despite long periods of ineptitude. They worked their socks off, in the main, and were easily worth the draw. I even came away feeling alright about it, given that my previous visits to Hillsborough have all ended with defeats.

I was told the same thing about the flooding by some Huddersfield supporters after the game up there before Christmas. Wouldn't be allowed in Surrey.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester

I did as well. Considering where we are in the league, we need to battle and get results. On a poor pitch, tippy tappy stuff just wouldn't have worked. And quite right, the players did work their socks off. I love watching us play good football, but second best is total commitment until you fall down at the end in exhaustion.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Oh, and the view you get from the upper tier is great. You see so much more of the detail. Like the trip on Baldock.

I wasn't convinced it was a trip though, felt he was running out of puff and the Wendy defender caught up with him. Only saw it the once though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here