Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst regional accent

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Do you mean scraps?

Probably. It was a few seasons back and my memory ain't what it was, but I did understand her accent, unlike the lass in Hull.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
the Brighton accent is more pronounced in the ladies
while we lived in Wales there was an article on the local(Welsh) news and this young lady started speaking both of us looked at one another and said Brighton, and sure enough when she finished speaking the guy holding the microphone asked where she came from and back came the answer "Brighton of coarse"
the accent is not quite as pronounced in the guys bit like a London twang

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Having been born in Yorkshire and having lived in Birmingham for seven years (until I moved to Brighton), I can only be grateful that you didn't include the Welsh accent I picked up when I lived in Newport.

Whenever I return to these places, I find myself reverting to how I spoke when I lived there. I find this rather disconcerting.

I quite like the Southern Welsh accent, Northern Welsh on the other hand is borderline...

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
Don't really like Manc accents on women - it just makes them sound tarty (apart from the blonde barmaid from early doors!!), Geordie is annoying too, just makes me think of Cheryl Cole/wannabe reality TV idiots. southern scottish is my favourite, sounds great.

In Bournemouth there can be a whole array of accents, the kids can pick up different bits from their parents if they have moved down to the area, but generally some broad accents once you go west from poole. Generally gets more Londoney the further east you go, definite difference between Southampton and Pompey (the latter pronounced properly is Pull-smurf, apparently..) and more Londoney again towards Brighton. Found Ipswich and Pompey have similar accents as they seem to be a similar distance away from London perhaps?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
The Derby accent grates on me. It's not dissimilar to brummie but it has a very annoying soft, lispy whistle to it that always sounds slightly pervy. It hurts my ears.

agreed. surprised this doesnt come up more. derby or nottingham (I am sure theres a difference but i cant tell) is by far the worst. scouse and brummie come up more because you hear them more in the media, especially scouse. scouse is by far the most interesting accent if not pleasing on the ear, a mixture of lancashire, irish and welsh.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
agreed. surprised this doesnt come up more. derby or nottingham (I am sure theres a difference but i cant tell) is by far the worst. scouse and brummie come up more because you hear them more in the media, especially scouse. scouse is by far the most interesting accent if not pleasing on the ear, a mixture of lancashire, irish and welsh.

It's quite specific but once you have recognised it it's awful. I don't mind the scouse accent but I don't like their attitude. In fact I can honestly say I don't think I've ever met a Liverpudlian I have liked.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here