Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Hopefully some light at the end of the tunnel. Ran 20k at 7:53 pace and no adverse effects after 5 weeks of injury set backs. It's a real shame the marathon wasn't this week as with temperatures and a 1 MPH easterly conditions were ideal for PB's.

I have a dilemma for next week in as much as the quicker I run the more I risk an injury, so a 10k race Sunday may have come too soon for me. What I'd like to do ideally is swap my 10k for a marathon place and treat it as a long run, maybe even pacing someone and providing a shield from the forecasted Easterly next week. I wouldn't finish but I'd like to think I could get them through to 16 at 7:30 pace.

If I can't get a swap, I'll have to remain disciplined for the 10k and listen to my body rather than target a time.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
As Clerk of the table I am considering a breakaway League where we relegate all underperforming runners unable to achieve a +70% Age Grade...............................

As I don't wish to be relegated, next time you update the table could you add my Preston Park Parkrun from yesterday: 22:40, AG 71.99% ? (I'm assuming the AG column is still based on SB rather than PB?) Many thanks.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
How are the marathon runners feeling as the training drops away? I'm 100% where I want to be a week out but glad I'm not racing it.
Broke all marathon training rules this week with my highest weekly mileage for 2 years at 41 miles. Having tapered for the Moyleman and then having a couple of weeks recovering I felt getting some slow miles in the legs was better than spending more time on my arse. Feel really good now as opposed to the beginning of the week. Just shy of a stone heavier than my last Brighton Marathon and with little fat it must be leg muscle and a bigger brain.

See you all at Preston Park.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
How are the marathon runners feeling as the training drops away? I'm 100% where I want to be a week out but glad I'm not racing it.
Broke all marathon training rules this week with my highest weekly mileage for 2 years at 41 miles. Having tapered for the Moyleman and then having a couple of weeks recovering I felt getting some slow miles in the legs was better than spending more time on my arse. Feel really good now as opposed to the beginning of the week. Just shy of a stone heavier than my last Brighton Marathon and with little fat it must be leg muscle and a bigger brain.

See you all at Preston Park.

Nervous for my first marathon. I've done all I can, though, followed a plan and am not carrying any injury at the moment. After yesterday's Parkrun and a 10km at easy pace this morning on the seafront, I'll be doing nothing but a few short easy runs this week, and concentrating on stretching, rest and sleep, and then it's in the hands of the gods, and hoping I can hold back from speeding up too much in the first half. My only real concern is Selhurst on Saturday which means I'll be spending a fair while on my feet, both at the match and going to and from it, especially if we have all that kettling malarkey again from the Met - I know I'd do better to have my feet up the day before the run, but hopefully it won't do too much harm. I do plan to stay off the booze, though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Having never done one before I haven’t got a benchmark but I’m a bit concerned. I’ve got pain in my left foot, a bit like when I broke my toe, and a really tight right thigh. I did 65km this week including my last long run so I think I need to rest a lot this coming week as right now I’m not in the right condition to run a marathon. Like you, I’ve put on weight. I’m up at 12st 9lb at the moment, although I’m in 28” trousers which is smaller than ever so I’d like to think some of it is muscle. I’ve got no worries about getting to 20 miles in about 2:30. I just need to use this week to get my legs in the best shape possible not to fall apart from there.

If you are confident of getting to 20 miles the adrenaline and crowd will carry you onto 26.2. Just make sure you’re disciplined and don’t run the first 20 too fast, let the day do the rest. Stretch the thigh and we will all keep our fingers crossed regarding the foot. Good luck but I think you’ll be fine.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Nervous for my first marathon. I've done all I can, though, followed a plan and am not carrying any injury at the moment. After yesterday's Parkrun and a 10km at easy pace this morning on the seafront, I'll be doing nothing but a few short easy runs this week, and concentrating on stretching, rest and sleep, and then it's in the hands of the gods, and hoping I can hold back from speeding up too much in the first half. My only real concern is Selhurst on Saturday which means I'll be spending a fair while on my feet, both at the match and going to and from it, especially if we have all that kettling malarkey again from the Met - I know I'd do better to have my feet up the day before the run, but hopefully it won't do too much harm. I do plan to stay off the booze, though.

If you’ve followed a plan you’ll be absolutely fine. Standing and/or walking a fair bit the day before will not be an issue either.....you’re a trained athlete now, and able to handle a bit of standing and walking, so need to worry about this! Good luck.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

You’ll be fine. I’ve regularly played golf the day before a marathon, or done a parkrun. Starting off too fast is 100x worse for your race than standing up a bit too much the day before !

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon

Your training kicks in automatically but just keep an eye on your pace in the first few miles as the adrenaline will be pumping
Wear an Albion shirt as well if you can as every man and his dog will cheer you on ( Me and my lad done that last year and it was a great move)
I look at my marathons as sightseeing on legs as you may never get the chance again to run the main road down Brighton seafront etc
Good luck and believe in yourself and your training

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'm feeeling surprisingly relaxed about Sunday, but very overweight having been eating assorted treats since my birthday last week.

I know I'll get around but I haven't got a clue how long it will take. So much is down to how you feel on the day.

However, from what I've seen of the marathon virgins, the preparation has been spot on and you are far more dedicated and focused than me. So I reckon you'll have no problem smashing those targets.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm in full maranoia right now, the first 3 miles of my 2 hour jaunt earlier were terrible. No pace, no fluidity, tight muscles and a throbbing pain in my abs. I got moving far more freely from about mile 5 onwards and then was moving like a dream for a few miles. You could throw a blanket over the time variation of the miles which I'm happy with and I've decided that my week is going to look like the following;

Monday - gentle leg session in the gym, lower weights with an additional rep or two per set and focus only on form followed by an evening run at a slightly quicker pace than I ran at today, possible 7:30 per for 6-10 miles maximum.
Tuesday - Gentle cross training session in the gym, possible a low impact elliptical session after a row to warm up.
Wednesday - 4/5 x 1 mile at above marathon pace, no quicker than 6:30 per.
Thursday - Gentle paced active recovery run around the Level multiple times.
Friday - Swim, only.
Saturday - 25 minute parkrun with no sprint (no matter who sprints past me going for the finish, I'm going to behave myself.)
Sunday - Throw [MENTION=67]Curious Orange[/MENTION] and [MENTION=13836]deletebeepbeepbeep[/MENTION] under the bus. :thumbsup:

I'm glad there are so many of us running the marathon, I look forward to seeing everyone beforehand. I actually got to Preston Park at just after 8am last year and I intend to be there at the same sort of time this year if possible! I want to be at the head of the starting corral so I don't have traffic to contend with. I had a really clear run pretty much the whole way after the first climb last year and I want to be in a similar position again this year if possible. Also, my biggest aim is to run the second half quicker than the first - that's important to me, the first half is the hillier half and being a bit behind the ultimate target isn't a negative at the halfway stage.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'm in full maranoia right now, the first 3 miles of my 2 hour jaunt earlier were terrible. No pace, no fluidity, tight muscles and a throbbing pain in my abs. I got moving far more freely from about mile 5 onwards and then was moving like a dream for a few miles. You could throw a blanket over the time variation of the miles which I'm happy with and I've decided that my week is going to look like the following;

Monday - gentle leg session in the gym, lower weights with an additional rep or two per set and focus only on form followed by an evening run at a slightly quicker pace than I ran at today, possible 7:30 per for 6-10 miles maximum.
Tuesday - Gentle cross training session in the gym, possible a low impact elliptical session after a row to warm up.
Wednesday - 4/5 x 1 mile at above marathon pace, no quicker than 6:30 per.
Thursday - Gentle paced active recovery run around the Level multiple times.
Friday - Swim, only.
Saturday - 25 minute parkrun with no sprint (no matter who sprints past me going for the finish, I'm going to behave myself.)
Sunday - Throw [MENTION=67]Curious Orange[/MENTION] and [MENTION=13836]deletebeepbeepbeep[/MENTION] under the bus. [emoji106]

I'm glad there are so many of us running the marathon, I look forward to seeing everyone beforehand. I actually got to Preston Park at just after 8am last year and I intend to be there at the same sort of time this year if possible! I want to be at the head of the starting corral so I don't have traffic to contend with. I had a really clear run pretty much the whole way after the first climb last year and I want to be in a similar position again this year if possible. Also, my biggest aim is to run the second half quicker than the first - that's important to me, the first half is the hillier half and being a bit behind the ultimate target isn't a negative at the halfway stage.
Each to their own, but that would be too many miles for me in pre-marathon week. Also if you get to PP for 8am, that's a loot of hanging around - isn't it a 10am kick-off?

Regarding the maranoia, it will pass - you'll be fine.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009

Do what you gotta do but all conventional wisdom would say that is a way too intensive week on lead up to Marathon, you will see no aerobic benefit from these workouts (on Marathon day) and from this point forward it's about keeping the legs moving.

My week for comparison looks like 5 easy Tuesday, 4 easy Wednesday, 3 easy Thursday, 2 miles (jog to pick race number up) on Saturday. A few 100m at marathon pace mixed in on each day to remind me what it feels like.

This week is all about keeping hydrated and eating healthy (bought enough fruit, nuts, seeds and veg to sink a ship today). Also regularly checking strava to remind myself that I can do the time/distance if it all comes together.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Do what you gotta do but all conventional wisdom would say that is a way too intensive week on lead up to Marathon, you will see no aerobic benefit from these workouts (on Marathon day) and from this point forward it's about keeping the legs moving.

My week for comparison looks like 5 easy Tuesday, 4 easy Wednesday, 3 easy Thursday, 2 miles (jog to pick race number up) on Saturday. A few 100m at marathon pace mixed in on each day to remind me what it feels like.

This week is all about keeping hydrated and eating healthy (bought enough fruit, nuts, seeds and veg to sink a ship today). Also regularly checking strava to remind myself that I can do the time/distance if it all comes together.

That sounds like an ‘A’ plan........

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Two years ago I wasn't really able to run at all until the week before the event, so I did a 17 miler on the sunday and then rested until raceday. Last year I was pretty active in the week before the event and ran a 3:29, albeit with a collapse in the last 7/8 miles. I haven't been able to run too much in the last few weeks due to the hip, but I feel like that's largely cleared up now so I can be more active this week and I want to put in some final miles to keep myself ticking over and deliver myself on the day ready. I'm confident in my plan, but the proof of the pudding will be on the day.

I'll definitely be checking the start time. :lolol:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Little less for me. Rest till Wednesday then following same plan. Certainly no Parkrun.

I'm a fruit, veg, nut and seed man myself. Only had meat once since Xmas but lots of fish. This is a week where I turn to more refined foods, white bread, pasta potatoes to add solidity not that the diet creates any [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] type of problem. Will buy my race licorice allsorts and jelly babies Saturday otherwise I'll eat them beforehand.
Rehydration this week will have to be every half hour. After 70 days not drinking the pint of Harvey's at the Moyleman set me off on a 3 week wine and beerathon. So a week off the booze.

Finally look at NSC Strava and see that there are a lot of good runners on there. Acknowledge that and remember to run to my own pace and adhere to the plan of running the whole course for the first time since 2013. Maybe even enjoying it.......

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Although not a great time (4’12) running the entire BM without stopping is one of my greatest achievements.

Good luck next Sunday everyone!!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here