Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
45.31 for me at Barns Green 10K. Well done to anyone who tackled either this or the HM. I thought it was tough - hotter and hillier than expected. Went out too quick an suffered accordingly. Makes a double category win for the weekend - 5k followed by the 10K. Job done, feet up!

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Successfully completed Berlin in 4:16:16, pretty much the time I expected although I was running well until the last 4 or 5 miles when I ran out of steam and for the first time in my life ended up walking. Still given where I've been I am absolutely delighted. It was very grey, misty and rained off and on so good conditions although I was soaked through and pretty cold by the end.

Interesting contrast to UK marathons, very few charity runners and generally a much more serious event full of determined athletes from Europe with a heavy contingent from Latin America plus China, Japan US etc. There was quite a lot of bumping and barging and I was tripped twice when running at a steady pace in a straight line. German organisation you would think would be a strength but the water stations were chaos and as usual no where near enough toilets at the start.
Still Berlin is a great place to visit - will definitely go back and enjoy the city without a marathon to do.

And I completely forgot about the football until I was on the train back to the airport so that was an ice surprise to round the day off (shame about the twos hour flight delay!)

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
45.31 for me at Barns Green 10K. Well done to anyone who tackled either this or the HM. I thought it was tough - hotter and hillier than expected. Went out too quick an suffered accordingly. Makes a double category win for the weekend - 5k followed by the 10K. Job done, feet up!

I was three minutes slower than you. Didn't push it - it was a bit hot, as you say, and I was worried about my recovering foot injury - but still an ok run for me (4th in 60-69 age group). Absolutely loved the event, great route (apart from that last hill at the end, which I wasn't expecting as some spectator had shouted three minutes earlier to me "it's all downhill from here"). Interesting to run through Christ's Hospital school - beautiful setting, how the other half live, eh? No doubt they'll be using the fact that they opened it to runners as part of their justification for charitable status..... lovely atmosphere on the village green after the event. I wished I'd run the half after all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I was three minutes slower than you. Didn't push it - it was a bit hot, as you say, and I was worried about my recovering foot injury - but still an ok run for me (4th in 60-69 age group). Absolutely loved the event, great route (apart from that last hill at the end, which I wasn't expecting as some spectator had shouted three minutes earlier to me "it's all downhill from here"). Interesting to run through Christ's Hospital school - beautiful setting, how the other half live, eh? No doubt they'll be using the fact that they opened it to runners as part of their justification for charitable status..... lovely atmosphere on the village green after the event. I wished I'd run the half after all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree with you on that final hill but disagree with you on the HM - just too hard. Lovely part of the world but dead posh.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Successfully completed Berlin in 4:16:16, pretty much the time I expected although I was running well until the last 4 or 5 miles when I ran out of steam and for the first time in my life ended up walking. Still given where I've been I am absolutely delighted. It was very grey, misty and rained off and on so good conditions although I was soaked through and pretty cold by the end.

Interesting contrast to UK marathons, very few charity runners and generally a much more serious event full of determined athletes from Europe with a heavy contingent from Latin America plus China, Japan US etc. There was quite a lot of bumping and barging and I was tripped twice when running at a steady pace in a straight line. German organisation you would think would be a strength but the water stations were chaos and as usual no where near enough toilets at the start.
Still Berlin is a great place to visit - will definitely go back and enjoy the city without a marathon to do.

And I completely forgot about the football until I was on the train back to the airport so that was an ice surprise to round the day off (shame about the twos hour flight delay!)

Well done - you delivered the plan! Interesting observations on German efficiency. What would Herr Tubthumper say?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Really enjoyed the Barns Green today. Time was a little slower than I'd hoped, but it was pretty undulating and the heat took it's toll. Up to 9.5 miles I was fairly comfortable, but then the wheels came off to an extent with the right hamstring tightening and everything from the waist down feeling pretty ropey. Probably not enough recent miles and too much drinking with trips away etc... but 1:32:16 chip time was a reasonable effort.

I received a silver medal finishing in 106th place but then I read it should be top 100 male runners and when checking six women finished above me, so I've been robbed of my gold medal by my reckoning!

Great event, early bird entries for next year start tomorrow at £18 and I'd say that's superb value with the organisation, course and facilities.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Awesome, well done [emoji106][emoji106]

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Really enjoyed the Barns Green today. Time was a little slower than I'd hoped, but it was pretty undulating and the heat took it's toll. Up to 9.5 miles I was fairly comfortable, but then the wheels came off to an extent with the right hamstring tightening and everything from the waist down feeling pretty ropey. Probably not enough recent miles and too much drinking with trips away etc... but 1:32:16 chip time was a reasonable effort.

I received a silver medal finishing in 106th place but then I read it should be top 100 male runners and when checking six women finished above me, so I've been robbed of my gold medal by my reckoning!

Great event, early bird entries for next year start tomorrow at £18 and I'd say that's superb value with the organisation, course and facilities.

I've just re-read the Barns Green medal criteria and its top 100 for men and women combined, therefore my silver medal was the correct award. Something to aim for next year though. Really good field today, the £250 prize money would have helped I'm sure.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Well done, that's a great time.
I managed it in 1-58-13. And pleased with that to be honest. Not as quick as last year but really enjoyed it!

1:44:07 so right in the middle. Very pleased as wasn't really sure where my fitness was. I was on for a PB at the 3/4 mark but the heat and hills in the last few miles took their toll. I was most relieved that I managed to stay in front of the 1:45 pacer after he caught me up.

Lovely course, will definitely do it again. Need to find a flat half marathon now whilst I've got some fitness.

Well done both of you, that was by far and away the hardest half marathon I've completed - that hill at mile 9 nearly broke me!

So, to get the time I did, and then to get down to the Amex to watch the match with the boy made it a very special day for me.

:)

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Barns Green HM for me. Superb event, well organised and a cracking but tough route! Chip time was 1.57.35 so was happy with that as wanted under 2 hours for this beast of a course. Every time you came down one hill you soon seamed to be going up the next one. Not particularly steep but all seamed to go on for a while!! 558 place so settled for a bronze medal!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1200108300

Had to rush off not long after the finish to get back for the footy which was a shame as would like to have soaked up the great post race atmosphere. Tha Albion win rounded off a great Sunday. Bright10 for me next on the 15th October.
BG HM.jpg

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Barns Green HM for me. Superb event, well organised and a cracking but tough route! Chip time was 1.57.35 so was happy with that as wanted under 2 hours for this beast of a course. Every time you came down one hill you soon seamed to be going up the next one. Not particularly steep but all seamed to go on for a while!! 558 place so settled for a bronze medal!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1200108300

Had to rush off not long after the finish to get back for the footy which was a shame as would like to have soaked up the great post race atmosphere. Tha Albion win rounded off a great Sunday. Bright10 for me next on the 15th October.
View attachment 89685

Well done. That's a good time. On the 10K course I was passing some of the HM competitors who were already walking after 2 miles. Your last mile was strong - always good sign. I kept waiting for the downhill bits but they never seemed to arrive! Onwards and upwards .........but a bit of 'downwards' would be nice too.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Looking at races for next year and have taken advantage of the £17 Barns Green HM early bird offer. Looked at Worthing & Brighton which are two good half marathons two weeks apart and it will cost me £75 to enter both! That's a hell of a lot of money for 26.2 miles.

I may well still enter as I'll be gutted to miss one or both but prices seem to be spiralling massively for the bigger events. I suppose the organisers justify it, as they tend to sell out, so market forces dictate the price.

Anyone here considering one or both of these races? Hopefully Brighton measure the course properly this year!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Looking at races for next year and have taken advantage of the £17 Barns Green HM early bird offer. Looked at Worthing & Brighton which are two good half marathons two weeks apart and it will cost me £75 to enter both! That's a hell of a lot of money for 26.2 miles.

I may well still enter as I'll be gutted to miss one or both but prices seem to be spiralling massively for the bigger events. I suppose the organisers justify it, as they tend to sell out, so market forces dictate the price.

Anyone here considering one or both of these races? Hopefully Brighton measure the course properly this year!

That's expensive......most of the trail marathons I do are only £30 or so, with proper aid (food) stations too.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

£40 Brighton Half inc booking fee! I think that's what I paid for the 2018 Brighton Marathon early bird at this year's registration day.
£29 at Hasting's a great day out and just an up and a down. Last minute availability is a bonus. Distance a disadvantage.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
That's expensive......most of the trail marathons I do are only £30 or so, with proper aid (food) stations too.

As I ran the short Brighton HM last year I got this one at a reduced rate - honestly cannot remember how much I paid. I aree that big races are getting expensive, you really need to get the early bird prices! I am currently hovering over the entry button for the 2018 Loch Ness Marathon - thats £50. (September 2018 and entries just opened)

I am tempted by Barns Green again as it was a really good event, would like to be able to chill out a bit more afterwards rather than rushing away to get to the Amex.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Able to do a bit of running at the moment. Last week 6,000 foot up and 6,000 foot down walking in Wales, Parkrun and an 8 mile run/walk effort to the Dyke on Sunday. Took 3 days of incessant eating and fluid intake to recover. Had a walk yesterday incorporating a full effort run up and over Truleigh Hill. Bevendean 22/10 here I come!

So tomorrow I need to see how close I am to June's SB. Will take the yellow racing flats to Hove Park and see what side of 22" I end up. See you there.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
... oh, and I've entered Barns Green Half Marathon for next year (30th September). Early bird tickets are £17 for unaffiliated runners for the first 200 (less than 100 left), or until some date in November, whichever is first. So get in quick if you want a good price for a good race.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here