Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Four horse race

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Has anyone else noticed, in the last 3 games the scoring has been as such...

Hull - 2 goals
Boro - 2 goals
Burnley - 2 goals
BHA - 8 goals
Sheff Wed - 7 goals
Derby - 1 goal

And we need a striker!

Yes, I know that all 3 of our games have been at home, but considering some have been moaning on about a lack of a striker I think those figures reflect well on us, and cast doubts on some of the other top teams - are they starting to bottle it?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Burnley have come through a tough spell intact and have a run of very winnable games right through to when they visit us at beginning of April

Right now, they look the most likely to occupy 1 and 2 imo
They've got a few easier ones (Rotherham, Blackburn, Bolton), but maybe Fulham have improved a bit (looked good yesterda) and Forest aren't easy now. And they're playing catch up. 'boro have the squad to do it, but Hull have the points and momentum. It's down to us to stop Hull. If we were to beat them (which I'm not expecting) they then travel to Arsenal and Ipswich before playing SW :lol:

87 isn't enough to get 6th - you serious?
No, he thought you were talking about the top two, as you were replying to a post about a race for the top two.

Derby's price for Top 6 I find amazing.
Their odds have been too short for a while. Just a couple of days ago, after they'd lost their manager, we were 3/1 for promotion and they were 3/2 (6/4). They're now 9/4, so still shorter than us, which is ridiculous given that we're 5 points ahead, we've played a game less, they haven't won in 8 and they've just sacked their manager.

Has anyone else noticed, in the last 3 games the scoring has been as such...

Hull - 2 goals
Boro - 2 goals
Burnley - 2 goals
BHA - 8 goals
Sheff Wed - 7 goals
Derby - 1 goal

And we need a striker!
Hull have scored 3.

But just because our midfield are working hard to get in scoring positions doesn't mean we don't want our strikers to contribute too. Comparing the goals we've scored against others over a couple of games isn't giving you a balanced view of our needs. There are games where we've dropped points because we haven't had a potent striker.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Their odds have been too short for a while. Just a couple of days ago, after they'd lost their manager, we were 3/1 for promotion and they were 3/2 (6/4). They're now 9/4, so still shorter than us, which is ridiculous given that we're 5 points ahead, we've played a game less, they haven't won in 8 and they've just sacked their manager.
If you find the odds ridiculous, then it usually means that there's easy money to be made: lay Derby big style.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
They've got a few easier ones (Rotherham, Blackburn, Bolton), but maybe Fulham have improved a bit (looked good yesterda) and Forest aren't easy now. And they're playing catch up. 'boro have the squad to do it, but Hull have the points and momentum. It's down to us to stop Hull. If we were to beat them (which I'm not expecting) they then travel to Arsenal and Ipswich before playing SW :lol:

No, he thought you were talking about the top two, as you were replying to a post about a race for the top two.

Hull have scored 3.

But just because our midfield are working hard to get in scoring positions doesn't mean we don't want our strikers to contribute too. Comparing the goals we've scored against others over a couple of games isn't giving you a balanced view of our needs. There are games where we've dropped points because we haven't had a potent striker.

I know that silly - I was quoting him back to take the piss. By his logic, you can't come 6th & get promoted :thumbsup:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If you find the odds ridiculous, then it usually means that there's easy money to be made: lay Derby big style.
Yep, I think that's a good bet. I don't gamble on sport much though.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

It's a fascinating time of season but also nerve wracking. There are endless permutations but it's beginning to look as if it's sorting itself out. I'm not sure I can see Brum and Ipswich sustaining the challenge and it may well be that the top 6 now are the top 6 at seasons end, although in what order is anyone's guess.

As much as Derby have come off the rails surely they have the players to be able to regroup and 'hang on'?

Given we have to play all the other top 5 that can either be a positive (we can take points off them) or a negative (they'll be harder than against mid-lower table). But I think the results against those 5 may well determine our season. Overhauling 2 of Hull, Burnley and Boro will be a huge achievement, and right now I would take a guaranteed play off spot and take our chances. I might reconsider that statement Tuesday at 22.00!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Overhauling 2 of Hull, Burnley and Boro will be a huge achievement
We've only got to overhaul the top two, we're level with Burnley with a game in hand.
right now I would take a guaranteed play off spot and take our chances.
No! No way take the playoffs now. We should get the playoffs anyway, which gives a 1 in 4 chance of promotion, but why the hell give up on an automatic place? Madness (and I mean in your hypothetical example of taking a guaranteed play off spot, not our players actually giving up, which obviously you weren't suggesting). We can't be much worse than 1 in 4 for an auto place, so that's almost two 1 in 4 chances.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
We've only got to overhaul the top two, we're level with Burnley with a game in hand.
No! No way take the playoffs now. We should get the playoffs anyway, which gives a 1 in 4 chance of promotion, but why the hell give up on an automatic place? Madness (and I mean in your hypothetical example of taking a guaranteed play off spot, not our players actually giving up, which obviously you weren't suggesting). We can't be much worse than 1 in 4 for an auto place, so that's almost two 1 in 4 chances.

I'm a half empty type ... hate it :(

Our game in hand could be a tad easier!

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
I know that silly - I was quoting him back to take the piss. By his logic, you can't come 6th & get promoted :thumbsup:

Or more correclty, by my logic you can get 87 and not get auto. OP is clearly talking about top two, not PO. Your logic was to look no lower than Forest for a PO spot. What about Preston - same points as Forest and 16 points from last 8 games?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Or more correclty, by my logic you can get 87 and not get auto. OP is clearly talking about top two, not PO. Your logic was to look no lower than Forest for a PO spot. What about Preston - same points as Forest and 16 points from last 8 games?

7 pages in, you're allowed to discuss other things you know - I clearly said promotion race. And in my opinion Preston aren't as strong as Forest - that ok?

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
Still looking like a four horse race after two good wins, albeit not the same four horses! Great win tonight for the Albion, worst defeat in 2 years for Champins of Europe.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Six clubs in for the autos, and three clubs waiting for someone to slip.

If we beat Wednesday, it could be down to five.

Unless Hull and Boro lose when not expected to it is those two. If they slip once, Burnley might catch them. If they slip twice we might catch them. But Boro might need to bottle it a second time in the final game of the 46.

Points on board count for a lot. Hull have got the easiest fixtures.

As well as playing each other a few times, the top four teams all have to visit Birmingham. I think they are a particulalry awkward team to play as Derby found out on thier own ground.

I am looking for the top 3 to slip up to give us a sporting chance.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Six clubs in for the autos, and three clubs waiting for someone to slip.

If we beat Wednesday, it could be down to five.

Unless Hull and Boro lose when not expected to it is those two. If they slip once, Burnley might catch them. If they slip twice we might catch them. But Boro might need to bottle it a second time in the final game of the 46.

Points on board count for a lot. Hull have got the easiest fixtures.

As well as playing each other a few times, the top four teams all have to visit Birmingham. I think they are a particulalry awkward team to play as Derby found out on thier own ground.

I am looking for the top 3 to slip up to give us a sporting chance.

Hull have got to play Birminghan, Middlesborough and Derby away from home - plenty of opportunity for them to drop points there!

Did you expect 'Boro to lose to Blackburn last night then?

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
With 12 games ( a quarter of the season) to go and the top 4 seperated by 2 points it's still wide open Perseus. Way too early to be calling it as any teams to lose.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Hull have got to play Birminghan, Middlesborough and Derby away from home - plenty of opportunity for them to drop points there!

Did you expect 'Boro to lose to Blackburn last night then?

Everyone has to play Brum away and there are still several 6 pointers to come.

I thought Boro would have a tough time last night (had it as a draw) but reckon they have 4 wins coming up now.

I agree with [MENTION=153]perseus[/MENTION], we need those above us to slip once, maybe twice and at the same time we need to keep winning the games "we're supposed to"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here