Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Star Wars: The Force Awakens - with Spoilers - discussion thread

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Rebel Scum

Stumbled across this on Youtube, a little short fan film, its not bad.

A Rebellion pilot is hounded by certain death from the merciless Empire or a frozen grave, after being abandoned during the retreat of the Rebel Alliance from Hoth.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Not sure if these have been posted (skimmed over the thread). A clever stick has re-invented the trailers to the original films in the style of one the new trailers. He did 'Empire' first, but here are all 3.

https://youtu.be/nywPf1p-BBY

https://youtu.be/xESiohGGP7g

https://youtu.be/MYD_xxY5wEI

They are brilliant. Especially the New Hope, although the last bit of ROJ with Luke and hist lightsabre is pretty cool.

I felt a bit sad seeing Han Solo in them. Almost like looking at pics/vids of people you know who have died. Bizarre.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Not sure if these have been posted (skimmed over the thread). A clever stick has re-invented the trailers to the original films in the style of one the new trailers. He did 'Empire' first, but here are all 3.

https://youtu.be/nywPf1p-BBY

https://youtu.be/xESiohGGP7g

https://youtu.be/MYD_xxY5wEI

Brilliant!

Think Empire one was my favourite. ''The force is with you young Skywalker...................but you are not a Jedi yet''

...got a bit emotional watching that bit.

I sometimes wonder if Star Wars would have become what it has and have a timeless feel with out John Williams score. Such a magnificent soundtrack on all the Star Wars films.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Regrding the 'it was just Episode IV all over again' argument:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/harrison-fords-on-set-injury-rescued-the-force-awakens-1771899668

“The weird thing about that movie is that it had been so long since the last one. Obviously the prequels had existed in between and we wanted to, sort of, reclaim the story,” Abrams said. “So we very consciously—and I know it is derided for this—we very consciously tried to borrow familiar beats, so the rest of the movie could hang on something that we knew was Star Wars.”

Basically, they felt they wanted to give audiences a reminder of what made Star Wars great. Something simple and familiar. And then, Episodes VIII and IX could have the freedom to get weird.​

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Regrding the 'it was just Episode IV all over again' argument:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/harrison-fords-on-set-injury-rescued-the-force-awakens-1771899668

“The weird thing about that movie is that it had been so long since the last one. Obviously the prequels had existed in between and we wanted to, sort of, reclaim the story,” Abrams said. “So we very consciously—and I know it is derided for this—we very consciously tried to borrow familiar beats, so the rest of the movie could hang on something that we knew was Star Wars.”

Basically, they felt they wanted to give audiences a reminder of what made Star Wars great. Something simple and familiar. And then, Episodes VIII and IX could have the freedom to get weird.​

JJ has got absolute dog's abuse for his work on the film which is mightily sad given how much time and effort he and countless others put into delivering a good Star Wars picture (which for my money is the 3rd best of all seven).

The worst offenders are those who slated the prequels previously and are now trying to retrospectively praise them for 'trying to do something original' and the 'unheralded miniature work that got lost in all the green screen'.

Not saying these aren't valid lines of praise for I, II and III but it's a poor show when someone has to resort to praising some truly dreadful films to justify their blinkered view of a film that may not be the most original ever made, but was made with love, respect and integrity as to what made Star Wars great in the first place.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
JJ has got absolute dog's abuse for his work on the film which is mightily sad given how much time and effort he and countless others put into delivering a good Star Wars picture (which for my money is the 3rd best of all seven).

The worst offenders are those who slated the prequels previously and are now trying to retrospectively praise them for 'trying to do something original' and the 'unheralded miniature work that got lost in all the green screen'.

Not saying these aren't valid lines of praise for I, II and III but it's a poor show when someone has to resort to praising some truly dreadful films to justify their blinkered view of a film that may not be the most original ever made, but was made with love, respect and integrity as to what made Star Wars great in the first place.

This is the 2nd post I've read in this thread, and reading that I don't think I'll bother going any deeper into it!
My tuppenth: Twas OK, I'm not desperate to see the next one but I'll go watch it as my girlfriend (hadn't seen one since the 80's) quite liked it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm not desperate to see the next one but I'll go watch it as my girlfriend (hadn't seen one since the 80's) quite liked it.
She could do better.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
This is the 2nd post I've read in this thread, and reading that I don't think I'll bother going any deeper into it!
My tuppenth: Twas OK, I'm not desperate to see the next one but I'll go watch it as my girlfriend (hadn't seen one since the 80's) quite liked it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm far more willing to praise Lucas for his vision and commitment to doing what he thought was right but there's a hypocritical contrarian element of the Star Wars fan base that really get on my grill when it comes to discussing the movie.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

The prequels had diabolical casting, acting and script, but they were visually stunning. They further captured my imagination in the Star Wars fictional world and the story of anakin's demise was at least semi-interesting.

This latest film was well acted for the most part, less script cringe and the casting was ok. Visually though, disappointing and the story a cut and paste job. All that was left was to insert death of big character and fan favourite much like series do nowadays to make it more 'real' or something (in a franchise with laser swords, bipedal farm animals and telekinesis).

Personally I thought it was a desecration of the originals and i'm not even a SW fanatic.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
The prequels had diabolical casting, acting and script, but they were visually stunning. They further captured my imagination in the Star Wars fictional world and the story of anakin's demise was at least semi-interesting.

This latest film was well acted for the most part, less script cringe and the casting was ok. Visually though, disappointing and the story a cut and paste job. All that was left was to insert death of big character and fan favourite much like series do nowadays to make it more 'real' or something (in a franchise with laser swords, bipedal farm animals and telekinesis).

Personally I thought it was a desecration of the originals and i'm not even a SW fanatic.

What? Have you watched them recently?

Looks like PS2 graphics. They've dated badly with the naff CGI used.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I watched the dvd yesterday. (Which is the 3rd time I've watched the film)

The best thing about it is that it doesn't bother with all the midichlorians and stuff like that which really hampered the prequels, so it's just fun.

But after repeated viewing it's no New Hope or Empire Strikes Back. The continuity is a bit crap.

One thing that annoyed me. When the x wings attack the first order on Takodana, Poe Dameron single handedly destroys so many Tie fighters it's ridiculous. It was quite cool in the original trilogy that the rebels (specifically Luke who was meant to be an amazing pilot or even Han Solo for that matter), didn't just destroy everything with one shot (Except for the Death Star).

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
What? Have you watched them recently?

Looks like PS2 graphics. They've dated badly with the naff CGI used.

Agreed.

The prequels CGI is naff.

They briefly touch on this on the must-watch 'Secrets of The Force Awakens' bonus footage from the Blu-Ray.
It's essentially a 1+ hour long 'behind the scenes' and 'making of' documentary.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here