Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rik Mayall, comedy genius, has died (contains binfestery)

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Filthy Rich and catflap. Brilliant stuff. Filthy after some good fortune 'I feel like I've been locked in an off licence.'.

filthy rich and catflap is criminally under rated. why, when you get 100 greatest comedy moments, the game of trivial pursuit isn't included, is beyond me.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Yes I see.

It was quite brilliant.

He had become quite famous again (post young ones) and was lapping up the adulation. Not sure you remember the..

Can you feel it ?
Can you feel it ?
ssshhh sshhhh
Can you feel it ?

That that's the magic of showbiz....

I also died laughing that night in Tunbridge Wells. I seem to recall he just stood there with a microphone for two hours and performed without a break ?

What a legacy.

The Young Ones, steals a complete series of Blackadder with a cameo and that Christmas episode of Bottom to name but three.

I do remember. At Portsmouth he was supported by Andy de la tour who really only served to show how much better mayall was. He did perform a very long main act and boy was it value for money!

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
I got married in June 1983.

I was more concerned about making sure my parents taped the episodes of The Young Ones I would miss, while away on honeymoon, than the wedding itself.

I've still got the VHS tape now - which is more than I can say about that marriage.

A massive loss.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I got married in June 1983.

I was more concerned about making sure my parents taped the episodes of The Young Ones I would miss, while away on honeymoon, than the wedding itself.

I've still got the VHS tape now - which is more than I can say about that marriage.

A massive loss.

I hope you mean Rick, not your ex.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Tomorrow night on Gold (9-40pm) they are showing Blackadder series 4 episode 4. Rik Mayall as Flashheart.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Shut up idiot. His comedy was as two dimensional as Kenny Everett's. And as laugh-free. Just because somebody dies, we don't all suddenly have to pretend they were a comedy genius. IMHO, like.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and one of the things I love about the internet is that allows detractors to the status quo to have their turn. The democracy of opinion I call it.

Comedy is subjective as with music and all art. I generally ignore music, can't stand fiction in any form and struggle sitting through a film. I do love comedy however but can't abide anything derivative. Love him or loath him, Rik Mayall was different for his time. No surprise so many comedians have paid tribute tonight since he encouraged them to go up and do their thing.

Back to the original point I consider your posts on this thread irrelevant noise against an over welcoming respect for the craft of Rik Mayall. Everyone is entitled to their opinion after all.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
filthy rich and catflap is criminally under rated. why, when you get 100 greatest comedy moments, the game of trivial pursuit isn't included, is beyond me.

Reykjavik , Iceland .....brilliant ....or did I get a full stop wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here